[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who watches the Watchmen?

Chavez

:wacko:

KP--

I am a 20 year fan of GN, still own and read yearly the first copy I bought in 88. I couldnt get out to the nerd o'clcok showing, but is your emoticon a review?!?!? I am so nervous my hopes have gotten too high for this, but it really does look like a Peter Jackson type treatment of LotR (some parts left out, some reinserted in DVDs, but story left untouched and in place).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KP--

I am a 20 year fan of GN, still own and read yearly the first copy I bought in 88. I couldnt get out to the nerd o'clcok showing, but is your emoticon a review?!?!? I am so nervous my hopes have gotten too high for this, but it really does look like a Peter Jackson type treatment of LotR (some parts left out, some reinserted in DVDs, but story left untouched and in place).

Ain't It Cool News more reviews there than you can shake a stick at.

The general consensus is the movie is beautiful (like 300), and faithful to the comic with the glaring exception of

the lack of a squid at the end (They find another way to cowtow the Earth)

But everyone is saying it is magnificent.

Heres a quote from Roger Ebert's four-star review:

The film is rich enough to be seen more than once. I plan to see it again, this time on IMAX, and will have more to say about it. I’m not sure I understood all the nuances and implications, but I am sure I had a powerful experience. It’s not as entertaining as “The Dark Knight,” but like the “Matrix” films, LOTR and “The Dark Knight,” it’s going to inspire fevered analysis. I don’t want to see it twice for that reason, however, but mostly just to have the experience again.
Edited by cre8tiff

Ain't It Cool News more reviews there than you can shake a stick at.

The general consensus is the movie is beautiful (like 300), and faithful to the comic with the glaring exception of

the lack of a squid at the end (They find another way to cowtow the Earth)

But everyone is saying it is magnificent.

Heres a quote from Roger Ebert's four-star review:

That spoiler doesn't bother me in the least.

I generally don't care for AICN (Harry is a studio-tool), but Eberts review does carry weight as did Wil Wheaton's glowing review a few weeks ago. I do see some not so glowing reviews emerging, though, but those don't carry any weight with me at all. I would rather ask real people who aren't trying to garner attention to their website or get a line on top of the poster to tell me what they thought!

Have you seen it, Cre8tiff?

I'm going to hold off just so I can finish the book. I read it a looong time ago and just recently re-purchased the book to support the writers and catch back up. I was planning on having this all done so I was set to go day 1, but I'll see it in the next few weeks fo sho. The only thing that sucks is I have to watch out for spoilers. Some boards aren't as good about this as the Huddle has been. Some 13 year old kid always gets a kick out of screaming out the ending. :wacko:

Edited by Square

That spoiler doesn't bother me in the least.

I generally don't care for AICN (Harry is a studio-tool), but Eberts review does carry weight as did Wil Wheaton's glowing review a few weeks ago. I do see some not so glowing reviews emerging, though, but those don't carry any weight with me at all. I would rather ask real people who aren't trying to garner attention to their website or get a line on top of the poster to tell me what they thought!

Have you seen it, Cre8tiff?

Not yet, but been reading up a bit on it. Waiting for first viewing in IMAX... :wacko:

And agree 100% on the toolishness of Harry. :D

The not-so-glowing reviews seem to mostly be coming from uber Watchmen geeks who wanted the movie to be EXACTLY like a book. Not possible. I wish I hadn't read the graphic novel. I didn't read 300 until after I saw the movie and liked BOTH better because of it.

Not yet, but been reading up a bit on it. Waiting for first viewing in IMAX... :wacko:

I wonder if the Norwalk IMAX is showing this?

The not-so-glowing reviews seem to mostly be coming from uber Watchmen geeks who wanted the movie to be EXACTLY like a book. Not possible. I wish I hadn't read the graphic novel. I didn't read 300 until after I saw the movie and liked BOTH better because of it.

That's the problem. I always considered myself an uber-watchmen geek, but there is NO WAY you can cram it all in. It's already almost 3 hours, plus the DVD in Nov i think is inserting another 30-40 minutes into it. You have to be able to accept minor changes and some story omissions.

I was a long time fan of 300, and loved Snyder's adaptation of that. From what I've read and seen, has stayed as close to the comic as anybody rightfully could have hoped for. I am just hoping it ends up being a great movie on it's own rights, not just a bunch of scenes and parts pasted together that look great.

I wonder if the Norwalk IMAX is showing this?

That's the problem. I always considered myself an uber-watchmen geek, but there is NO WAY you can cram it all in. It's already almost 3 hours, plus the DVD in Nov i think is inserting another 30-40 minutes into it. You have to be able to accept minor changes and some story omissions.

I was a long time fan of 300, and loved Snyder's adaptation of that. From what I've read and seen, has stayed as close to the comic as anybody rightfully could have hoped for. I am just hoping it ends up being a great movie on it's own rights, not just a bunch of scenes and parts pasted together that look great.

The DVD will will have three version of the movie in it: Theater Release, DIrector's Cut, and Director's Cut with Tales From the Black Freighter cut in. The last one is over 4 hours, as I recall.

Pretty good flick, but it blows its load too early on. It seems pretty hit or miss for those that haven't read the novel.

It's 2 1/2 hours long. The storytelling is a tad uneven in how it is dispersed among the characters. Otherwise, I could list about 98 thing that were great about it. Fascinating to look at. The opening title sequence was as cool an intro to a movie as I can ever remember seeing. And Kelly Leak is remarkable.

Haven't read the GN, I liked Horshack, and I can say I agree bluedog, it's a problem that could've been easily fixed IMO. My GF wants to see it so I'll go again for her sake, but I didn't really like it. I'd probably give it a 5 or 6 out of ten. I loved The Dark Knight, so I'm not just against this genre of movie or anything.

I will read the book now, as the consensus seems to be that it is much better than the movie.

-DD21

My 17yo son was jazzed when he saw the trailer. He had been ready some of my old comic books and had seen adds for the GN for Watchmen. When he asked me if I had the GN in my collection, I chuckled and went and pulled out the original 12 episode series. :wacko: I thought his head would explode.

I'm hesitant to see the movie. I'm hearing mixed reviews.

I'm hesitant to see the movie. I'm hearing mixed reviews.

Like all movies - if you want to find something wrong with it - you will.

As someone who has read the Watchmen and enjoyed it - I thought the movie was incredibly well done. A magnificent adaptation that does the novel justice. The cinematography is just beautiful to watch - you really feel like you're watching a comic on the big screen. Every scene looks like it's straight from the graphic novel.

You're going to hear complaints from the die-hard fans about omissions and alterations... these complaints are dumb. Of course you have to omit and alter stuff to compress a twelve chapter novel into a three hour movie - they did a fantastic job with it. While they changed one or two big things, the overall meanings were still presented and none of it seemed to be change for change sake - it was all to conserve time.

My advice - go into it wanting to enjoy it, and you will.

Edited by kpholmes

i would think this would be a far different experienced based on whether you've read the GN or not.

if you have, and you liked it (as i did), you will marvel at the recreation on the screen. some frames are exact matches and the overall work clearly shows a love for the original. plus, you already have the character's backstories running in your brain, so their actions make more sense from the get-go. i liked the changed ending because when dr. manhattan agrees with viendt (sp) that the world is better off not knowing the truth, he is implicating himself in the process. not so in the GN. made it much heavier. plus, who wants to see a giant squid?

if you have not read the GN, then i would think there is a high chance you will be disappointed. this ain't no dark knight or x-men kind of experience, even though the trailers make it seem that way. these characters are flawed and don't even have superpowers.

personally, i enjoyed the heck out of it.

Just got back from the noon showing at IMAX. For the most part I thought it was :wacko::D. I think a few things were better done in the book, I thought a few things (especially the ending) were better in the movie.

As has been said before, the opening credits were brilliant (although I'm not sure I would have said the same if I didn't read the book).

Went and saw the movie in IMAX and found myself very bored. :wacko: Was disappointed cause I really liked the GN, just thought this movie was flat. Plus doesn't anyone else think Nite Owl looks like he should be in a station wagon on his way to Wally World?

I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose!