[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who watches the Watchmen?

Chavez

.....doesn't anyone else think Nite Owl looks like he should be in a station wagon on his way to Wally World?

I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose! Praise Marty Moose!

That's kinda the point.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was disappointed cause I really liked the GN,. . . anyone else think Nite Owl looks like he should be in a station wagon on his way to Wally World?

Are you sure you read the book?

OK, having done a little reading up on this, I think may check it out. I like the existential bent. Not sure though if I should see the move or read the GN first.

Had a conversation with a friend last night. We decided the best route for the noob is to see the movie, then read the book, then see the movie again. The 2nd time through the movie (especially the opening credits) will send shivers down your back.

I saw this last weekend, but I am ringing in late. I thought it was decent, but it did not come close to blowing me away.

The bad :The ending was clunky and some depth of the graphic novel was missing. I understand why they shaved it down a bit, but it took away the impact of the film's final scenes. Although very nice to look at, Malin Akerman (Silk Spectre II) was fairly weak in the role as was Matthew Goode (Ozymandias).

The good: Loved everything about Rorshach. The actor (Jackie Earle Haley), character and storyline as presented in the movie were great. Stylistically I thought it was pretty spot on. Great opening credits sequence.

I give it a B-.

Edited by TDFFFreak

This was a good movie but they extended the nude scenes to please the masses.

I guess I should change my name to "masses."

I don't think Alan Moore can complain about this adaptation - a little bit dumbed down, but I thought both Watchmen and V for Vendetta treated the source material fairly. Dunno that I "luuuurrrrvvveed it" but it was pretty f'in good.

Of course, the post-movie dialogue was basically me filling in all the gaps in continuity/logic to a group of people.

Of course, the post-movie dialogue was basically me filling in all the gaps in continuity/logic to a group of people.

I fear my evening will be the same. I'm going to the 9:30 showing with 2 friends who know nothing about the book or film.

it sounds like people are having problems with the flashbacks and non-linear continuity of the film. wonder if people had the problem with pulp fiction when it first came out or were the flashbacks better executed in that film.

Personally, i didn't have any problems following the story or the flashbacks -- i mean the hairstyles were a dead giveaway of the events that occurred in the past.

it sounds like people are having problems with the flashbacks and non-linear continuity of the film. wonder if people had the problem with pulp fiction when it first came out or were the flashbacks better executed in that film.

Nah, not really - more stuff like Bubastis popping up out of the blue or not being clear on Veidt's backstory. The plot as it stood was followed pretty clearly.

2nd time around last night. If this film doesn't win the costuming Oscar next year the entire Academy should be drawn and quartered. It's not even about the Watchmen costumes, which were on par with the outfits in Dark Knight. It was the job done on the Minutemen costumes that was so superb. Giving them that "throwback" look, they just looked fantastic. All the backstory scenes looked awesome.

I took the wife to the matinee. She said that it is the most disturbing thing she's ever seen and she is sure she is married to the comedian. I don't know fi that is a good or bad thing.

I took the wife to the matinee. She said that it is the most disturbing thing she's ever seen and she is sure she is married to the comedian. I don't know fi that is a good or bad thing.

I think she is trying to tell you she is going to beat you up and throw you out the window. :D

Serves you right for assaulting her when she was just trying to change clothes. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff

finally saw it - LOVED IT.

I never read the gn - kinda knew what it was about, and sure it dragged a bit in the middle and I didn't necessarily love the ending but I enjoyed the chit out of it and never looked at the clock once, which says alot.

The opening credits, and scene with fight scene with The Comedian was effing fantastic - sure the gore and sex was a bit over the top but personally I will take that all day over the PG13 Batman any day.

Kelly Leak was phenomenal as Rorshach - loved the character

Just a kick ass movie all around

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it sucked but I didn't think anyone would kill themselves.

Man shoots himself during "Watchmen" movie

Eugene (KMTR) – A man shot himself to death in a Eugene movie theater just after midnight Monday morning.

Police say about 10 patrons were in an auditorium at Regal Cinemas watching the movie “Watchmen.” About midway through the film some of the moviegoers told the manager they heard a “popping” noise like a gunshot. A 24-year-old man was found in the rear of the auditorium with a gunshot wound to the head.

Police say the man shot himself and was dead when they arrived.

The patron closest to the man was sitting two rows away.

:wacko:

• 3 months later...

Got it from Netflix tonight (along with Tales of the Black Freighter). I had intended to watch freighter first, but was excited enough to get the movie that I didn;t want to wait.

I thought it was wonderful, a complicated, morally ambiguous tale mixed with good action and excellent imagery. I will watch freighter, then probably watch it again.

Two :wacko::D

A unique film by any stretch of the imagination and thoroughly well done. The exact opposite of a fun, mindless summer flick.

Got it from Netflix tonight (along with Tales of the Black Freighter). I had intended to watch freighter first, but was excited enough to get the movie that I didn;t want to wait.

I thought it was wonderful, a complicated, morally ambiguous tale mixed with good action and excellent imagery. I will watch freighter, then probably watch it again.

Two :D:D

A unique film by any stretch of the imagination and thoroughly well done. The exact opposite of a fun, mindless summer flick.

I picked mine up at midnight when they went on sale night before last. :wacko:

Two :wacko::D

werd - watched the blu ray directors cut, even better the 2nd time around for me- effing brilliant movie

love the rich visuals, the backstory, complex characters and the dark, violent action/fight scenes

if you liked it in the theater, the directors cut is an absolute must see

• 1 month later...

finally saw it this weekend on bluray. qualifiers: not a comic :wacko:, and never read the comic book (ahem, "graphic novel" version).

anyway, thought the movie was very, very well done. visually it was immaculate, from both a "wow" factor, as well as a lot of subtlety and nuance. just always got the feeling (in a good way) that every pixel had its purpose and was planned out ahead. acting was meh, but I thought the way the plot unfolded and paced itself was very nicely done. the movie is good brain candy as well as eye candy, some fairly deep stuff to mull over. all in all, an extremely well-executed movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, probably more than any film I've seen in that comic/blockbuster genre.

finally saw it this weekend on bluray. qualifiers: not a comic :wacko:, and never read the comic book (ahem, "graphic novel" version).

anyway, thought the movie was very, very well done. visually it was immaculate, from both a "wow" factor, as well as a lot of subtlety and nuance. just always got the feeling (in a good way) that every pixel had its purpose and was planned out ahead. acting was meh, but I thought the way the plot unfolded and paced itself was very nicely done. the movie is good brain candy as well as eye candy, some fairly deep stuff to mull over. all in all, an extremely well-executed movie that I enjoyed quite a bit, probably more than any film I've seen in that comic/blockbuster genre.

Try reading the graphic novel. Then you can join in the

John-ergy vs. Squid-lien

debate with the rest of the :nerd:s.