[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BCS Discussion Thread

Rockerbraves

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just stop. please. we get it

quit yer whiny, girlie bitching gdayum. UT beat OU - period.end of story. No on gives a rip.

unfortunately yer Sooners have a chance to prove it on the field- they win out, they have an excellent shot at the NC game -

ur selling Bama short - Mizzou is a joke and to be frank, I am more concerned about the WAC-ked up teams out of the Big 12 than

Bama, FLA, USC who would all DOMINATE the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against anyone from the Big 12 -

besides OU playing Cincy and TCU the little backwater 12 is about as incestous as it gets in 2008 - they played no one outside the conference.

This is where your ignorance of the Sooners comes to light. Do you have a clue how huge the OU OL is. There is no way they will be dominated on the line of scrimmage by anyone. And you really think the Sooners or Texas are inferior to anyone up front on the D Line. Pure ignorance on your part.

And what screams out to me is how the hell is FLA ahead of OU or SC right now. How can you lose at home to a below average Ole Miss team, and be in consideration when other 1 loss teams lost to top 5 teams, and played as strong or stronger schedule than you. Everyone says the SEC is down this year, and the Big 12 is the clear cut best conference, yet FLA is ahead of OU. Makes absolutely no sense to me. The only way FLA should be in the race for the NC, is if 4 of the following 5 things happen: Texas, OU, and SC all lose and Bama and Tech lose twice. Then they should be in the picture. What FLA is doing is no different than Te xas or OU every year after they play, yet for some reason FLA is getting an enormous amount of love, when their loss should be doing what SC's loss to Oregon St is doing to them. Hell Oregon St controls its own destiny to the Rose Bowl for Christ sakes, and that loss still haunts SC, while FLA basically got a free pass after losing at home to Ole Miss. How is this even possible.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

And what people fail to say is OU led the Texas game for 3 and a half quarters. Texas went up by 3 with 6 minutes to go. OU sold out to get the ball back, and Texas had a huge play set them up inside the OU 10, and scored 2 plays later. The final score is no indication of how close that game was, and really how OU dominated Texas the whole first half, yet only led 21-20. OU could easily be undefeated right now, so could Texas, losing like that to Tech.

More of this mess gets sorted out this Saturday.

And Id put my moneyon all 4 Big 12 south schools and Missouri against Bama. If some how Bama gets to the NC game, it will be a blowout.

Wrong again. Bama is better then all Big 12 teams when considering all 3 phases of the game, especially your Sooners. Oklahoma has a suspect defense and plays horrible special teams. Alabama would win 8 out of 10 games against the Sooners. Let's just see how this thing plays out. Once again college football has us all talking! That's why we love it so much!

This is where your ignorance of the Sooners comes to light. Do you have a clue how huge the OU OL is. There is no way they will be dominated on the line of scrimmage by anyone. And you really think the Sooners or Texas are inferior to anyone up front on the D Line. Pure ignorance on your part.

And what screams out to me is how the hell is FLA ahead of OU or SC right now. How can you lose at home to a below average Ole Miss team, and be in consideration when other 1 loss teams lost to top 5 teams, and played as strong or stronger schedule than you. Everyone says the SEC is down this year, and the Big 12 is the clear cut best conference, yet FLA is ahead of OU. Makes absolutely no sense to me. The only way FLA should be in the race for the NC, is if 4 of the following 5 things happen: Texas, OU, and SC all lose and Bama and Tech lose twice. Then they should be in the picture. What FLA is doing is no different than Te xas or OU every year after they play, yet for some reason FLA is getting an enormous amount of love, when their loss should be doing what SC's loss to Oregon St is doing to them. Hell Oregon St controls its own destiny to the Rose Bowl for Christ sakes, and that loss still haunts SC, while FLA basically got a free pass after losing at home to Ole Miss. How is this even possible.

So you are saying that should Alabama's only loss come from Florida in the SEC Championship game, Alabama should go to the NC game ahead of Florida because Alabama must lose twice? Now I understand why Oklahoma should be ranked ahead of Texas since Texas beat Oklahoma but Oklahoma has only one loss.

The real reason that Florida is getting so much love has nothing to do with their play. Forget about the fact that over the last six weeks they have not displayed any significant weakness in any part of their game--be it offense, defense or special teams. The real reason Florida gets so much love is because they have the prettiest uniforms, the coolest mascot, and Tim Tebow is very handsome.

No reward? Don't think the last 3 SEC teams that have won National Titles would think so. So in other words, is the burden the conference with one, or without one? You tell me. Seems that the ones that always benefit from HAVING them are the ones pissing and moaning like you. Look at Florida this year, they will likely get in, BECAUSE they have a conference championship to win. And if you can find me a team that lost their conference championship and actually proved they deserved to play in the big game since the BCS started, then I might concede this point to you, but in 10 years, I can't find a single one, other than MAYBE Tennessee in 2001, who would've gotten destroyed by a great Miami team anyway.

Brian I've been reading your dislike for the conference championships for quite sometime now, yet I also have read your desire for a playoff.

Don't you think these conference championships are the closest thing college football has to playoff system today? I know you love to bring up how these conference championships are only there to make $$$ & how they have helped these conferences get a team into the BCS NC game, yet you breeze over the fact that it cost Tennessee a BCS NC shot. Not to mention how you ASSUME the 2001 Vols would have lost???

The truth is the BCS is only 10 years old, so a conference losing one participant and a possible NC in ten due to having to play a conference championship is a relatively high percentage if you think about it. Especially since those same conference championships have only helped teams maybe 3 times. The truth is in those same 10 years of the BCS existance 4 of the National Championship participants & the Vols actually had to risk their shot at a BCS NC Title by playing in a conference championship game.

1998 Tennessee

2000 Oklahoma

2001 Tennessee

2004 Oklahoma

2005 Texas

* Initial 1992 SEC Championship Game an undefeated Bama team had to risk their NC hopes.

Now keep in mind, we're only talking how these conference championships have hurt or helped teams in regard BCS NC situations. I don't have all the facts about the Big 12 or ACC conference championships, but I do know the loser of the SEC championship game has yet to play in a BCS bowl. So please don't tell me how the conference championship games are nothing but a blessing to those teams participating. I know for a fact it drop a 3rd ranked LSU team all the way to the Peach Bowl in 2005.

So you are saying that should Alabama's only loss come from Florida in the SEC Championship game, Alabama should go to the NC game ahead of Florida because Alabama must lose twice? Now I understand why Oklahoma should be ranked ahead of Texas since Texas beat Oklahoma but Oklahoma has only one loss.

The real reason that Florida is getting so much love has nothing to do with their play. Forget about the fact that over the last six weeks they have not displayed any significant weakness in any part of their game--be it offense, defense or special teams. The real reason Florida gets so much love is because they have the prettiest uniforms, the coolest mascot, and Tim Tebow is very handsome.

In 2003, the #1 team in the country lost the Big 12 Championship game, and was still #1 afterward. So precedence has been set. So has losing to sh*t teams, and yet FLA is immune to all of it. Sorry, but I just think its a complete joke, themedia jumped right off of SC sack, and right onto Florida nut sack. Why not be neutral, let things play out and see. But this FLA hype, when really they were #10 a few weeks back, and deservedly so, should have never moved up past OU or SC, and still shouldnt unless both of those teams lose. I dont care how you run up the score on inferior teams, when you get embarassed they way FLA did at home to lowly Ole Miss, it should eliminate you unless everyone else has more loses than you, except the BCS busters.

And how awesome would it be for FLA to back into the title game, and just get smoked by one of the Big 12 schools.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

I dont care how you run up the score on inferior teams.....

Really, and here I thought you had been posting all season how great OU was based on the same set of criteria. Blowing out piss poor teams.

Florida beat LSU, Ky, Georgia , Vanderbilt and S.Carolina by and average margin of 41 PPG

OU beat A&M , Nebraska, K.St, Baylor and TCU by and average margin of 30 PPG

Sorry, but I fail to see why OU is so much better then Florida according to your argument, when the facts clearly show Florida won by a larger margin against what I'd consider much better teams.

Georgia > TCU

LSU > K.St

KY > Nebraska

Vanderbilt > Baylor

S.Carolina > A&M

Edited by theeohiostate

Really, and here I thought you had been posting all season how great OU was based on the same set of criteria. Blowing out piss poor teams.

Florida beat LSU, Ky, Georgia , Vanderbilt and S.Carolina by and average margin of 41 PPG

OU beat A&M , Nebraska, K.St, Baylor and TCU by and average margin of 30 PPG

Sorry, but I fail to see why OU is so much better then Florida according to your argument, when the facts clearly show Florida won by a larger margin against what I'd consider much better teams.

Georgia > TCU

LSU > K.St

KY > Nebraska

Vanderbilt > Baylor

S.Carolina > A&M

Resume is incomplete, but if OU wins out

Texas Tech > GA

Okie St > LSU

TCU > S Carolina

And Id beg to differ on KY and Vandy being better than Nebraska or Baylor.

But sarge,

you didn't answer my question. Are you saying that if Florida defeats Alabama in the SEC championship game that Alabama would still be more deserving to go to the NC game? Forget precedent--Is that really what you are saying?

It hurts my feelings when you ignore me.

But sarge,

you didn't answer my question. Are you saying that if Florida defeats Alabama in the SEC championship game that Alabama would still be more deserving to go to the NC game? Forget precedent--Is that really what you are saying?

Same thing can be said if OU jumps Texas when H2H they played. So why is that too hard to say. And do i think it will happen, not with the hype of FLA, but it has happened before, so nothing is guaranteed. To answer your question, what should happen, and what will are two different things. If a team loses the last regular season game of the season, it shouldnt mean they cant be Champs.

All you have to do is change the venue to the NFL.

Last yr in the Regular season Dallas spanked the Giants twice, yet lost to them in the playoffs, and New England beat NY in the regular season finale and lost to them in the Super Bowl. So does the better team always win every time. The best teams in the regular season last year were Dallas and New England, and in the BCS they would have played for the NC. Yet in a playoff system, NY beat them both en route to the Super Bowl. This is why some are arguing against a playoff, because it diminishes the regular season wins, and a team can get hot, that probably wouldnt be considered for a BCS title game, like NY last yr, who just made it into the playoffs as a #6 seed in the inferior NFC, which was probably the #12 team in a BCS type playoff.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Same thing can be said if OU jumps Texas when H2H they played. So why is that too hard to say. And do i think it will happen, not with the hype of FLA, but it has happened before, so nothing is guaranteed. To answer your question, what should happen, and what will are two different things. If a team loses the last regular season game of the season, it shouldnt mean they cant be Champs.

Last yr in the Regular season Dallas spanked the Giants twice, yet lost to them in the playoffs, and New England beat NY in the regular season finale and lost to them in the Super Bowl. So does the better team always win every time. The best teams in the regular season last year were Dallas and New England, and in the BCS they would have played for the NC. Yet in a playoff system, NY beat them both en route to the Super Bowl. This is why some are arguing against a playoff, because it diminishes the regular season wins, and a team can get hot, that probably wouldnt be considered for a BCS title game, like NY last yr, who just made it into the playoffs as a #6 seed in the inferior NFC, which was probably the #12 team in a BCS type playoff.

Sarge,

I wasn't asking for a long, drawn out explanation. You stated that for Florida to go to the NC game, among other things, Alabama should have to have two losses. My only question was if Florida doesn't lose again and Alabama doesn't lose again, and Florida defeats Alabama in the SEC Championship game, do you really think think Alabama is more deserving than Florida to play in the NC game?

I don't care about precedent and I care less about the NFL. I was asking your opinion. It appears from what I've read that even if Florida wins the SEC Championship game over Alabama, you still believe that Alabama deserves to be in the NC game more than Florida. I find that a surprising opinion and again, I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this one.

None of your examples mean squat. BCS supporters are quick to remind those of us who want a play-off that the regular season is the play-off. That is not the case in the NFL where there actually is a play-off system in place. In that case, the regular season is basically an elaborate and incomplete round robin that determines who goes on to the "win or go home" portion of the season.

BCS supporters say the "win or go home" portion begins in the middle of November and particularly in the conference championship games. So, considering that both Alabama and FL are considered among the elite teams as the season winds down and, provided that neither lose between now and the SEC Championship game, then it would be safe to say that game is a semi-final, of sorts for the NC game. Now, if only one or neither was a legitimate candidate, then the game would take on a different meaning. Like, for instance, the Big 12 championship where it's basically a semi-final for one team but not another.

However, you can simply not logically argue that Alabama can lose to FL in the SEC Championship and still get in ahead of them. I suppose if you want to say that Alabama can clinch by winning but FL can't, you'd at least have a limb to stand on (I still think you'd be wrong, mind you). However, you simply can't talk about the importance of the regular season and then say that one contender can lose to another in the very last game they play prior to the NC game and still get in.

OU lost the Big 12 Championship game, and was still #1 in the BCS. So what are you idiots arguing. Its already happened, so why is it far fetched to say it can happen again. That year the bodyof work was more important than the loss. So yeah, I think Bama is more deserving with 1 loss on a neutral field, to a ranked team, than FLA's loss at home to Ole Miss. Call me crazy, but you lose like that, you should be penalized for it.

OU lost the Big 12 Championship game, and was still #1 in the BCS. So what are you idiots arguing. Its already happened, so why is it far fetched to say it can happen again. That year the bodyof work was more important than the loss. So yeah, I think Bama is more deserving with 1 loss on a neutral field, to a ranked team, than FLA's loss at home to Ole Miss. Call me crazy, but you lose like that, you should be penalized for it.

And yet, you were the one saying that Florida was one of the two best teams in the country.

And I wasn't arguing anything. I was just attempting to get your opinion. Now I have it. You believe that if Florida defeats Alabama on a neutral field in the SEC Championship game, Alabama deserves to go to the NC game over Florida.

And yet, you were the one saying that Florida was one of the two best teams in the country.

And I wasn't arguing anything. I was just attempting to get your opinion. Now I have it. You believe that if Florida defeats Alabama on a neutral field in the SEC Championship game, Alabama deserves to go to the NC game over Florida.

Wrong, I believe that if FLA wins the SEC Championship, OU if they win out,TT, Texas and SC should all go ahead of them. I really could care less about the SEC, unless Bama wins out, then they should go because they went undefeated in a major conference, but that is about it. FLA shouldnt even be in the discussion at this point is my point. I responded to your post about Bama if they lose, but Bama should drop behind those other 4 schools and I could care less if its ahead or behind FLA. It wont really matter much where they fall, as long as its 5 or later, where FLA should be if they beat Bama.

And lets be clear here, do I think FLA is one of the best two teams in the country, at this point I think they are inthe discussion. But the NC discussion is something completely different. Last yr Ohio St was certainly not oneof the top 2 teams in the country, but because of the system, they got in. Because of this same system, FLA should not get in, because of that loss to Ole Miss. So Im arguing against FLA being deserving in that game, not whether they are one of the top 2 teams. Last yr in the NFL, NY wasnt one of the top 2 teams, and by the BCS criteria, they would have no shot at a title, but because of a playoff, they got a chance, and won out. FLA could be this years NY of the NFL, problem is, this isnt the NFL, and we dont have a playoff here.

Edited by Sgt Ryan

Wrong, I believe that if FLA wins the SEC Championship, OU if they win out,TT, Texas and SC should all go ahead of them. I really could care less about the SEC, unless Bama wins out, then they should go because they went undefeated in a major conference, but that is about it. FLA shouldnt even be in the discussion at this point is my point. I responded to your post about Bama if they lose, but Bama should drop behind those other 4 schools and I could care less if its ahead or behind FLA. It wont really matter much where they fall, as long as its 5 or later, where FLA should be if they beat Bama.

And lets be clear here, do I think FLA is one of the best two teams in the country, at this point I think they are inthe discussion. But the NC discussion is something completely different. Last yr Ohio St was certainly not oneof the top 2 teams in the country, but because of the system, they got in. Because of this same system, FLA should not get in, because of that loss to Ole Miss. So Im arguing against FLA being deserving in that game, not whether they are one of the top 2 teams. Last yr in the NFL, NY wasnt one of the top 2 teams, and by the BCS criteria, they would have no shot at a title, but because of a playoff, they got a chance, and won out. FLA could be this years NY of the NFL, problem is, this isnt the NFL, and we dont have a playoff here.

I find it difficult to debate with you because you keep changing your opinion. First, Florida was one of the two best teams in the country. Then later, you said that they were not--they had gotten fat on over rated teams. Now they are "in the discussion" as one of the two best teams.

And Sarge, I'm going to be honest with you--I think if Oklahoma had lost by one point at home to Cincinnati and then had gone on streak similar to Florida, you'd be screaming about how Oklahoma should be in the NC game if they win out as clearly they are playing the best ball in the country. The funny thing is, most everyone here would be agreeing with you. There would be no talk of Oklahoma not deserving to be in the NC game from you because of a loss to an unranked team at home. You would be focusing on how well Oklahoma was playing and calling anyone who disagreed with you an idiot. You know this is true and I know this is true. And everyone else here knows that this is true.

I find it difficult to debate with you because you keep changing your opinion. First, Florida was one of the two best teams in the country. Then later, you said that they were not--they had gotten fat on over rated teams. Now they are "in the discussion" as one of the two best teams.

And Sarge, I'm going to be honest with you--I think if Oklahoma had lost by one point at home to Cincinnati and then had gone on streak similar to Florida, you'd be screaming about how Oklahoma should be in the NC game if they win out as clearly they are playing the best ball in the country. The funny thing is, most everyone here would be agreeing with you. There would be no talk of Oklahoma not deserving to be in the NC game from you because of a loss to an unranked team at home. You would be focusing on how well Oklahoma was playing and calling anyone who disagreed with you an idiot. You know this is true and I know this is true. And everyone else here knows that this is true.

Im not changing my opinion. I think FLA is a strong football team, and worthy of being called one of the best 2. Im not debating that a bit. But what Im debating is the system we are playing in, they do not deserve to be ranked where they are. Regardless of how they are playing. And Cincy is ranked, and on its way to a BCS bowl winning the Big East. So still no comparison. FLA lost to a team going no where, at home, and it should cost them like its costing SC, difference is SC's loss isnt looking so bad now with Oregon St controlling its own way to the Rose Bowl, and that loss was at Oregon St. I think you are not taking into account what Im saying, and instead fixated on what you think. I agree FLA is damn good, but deserving based on that loss is a whole nother can of worms, and in this system, where there is no playoff, a embarassing loss like that at home should bedoing more, and the loss SC had, shoudlnt be penalizing them more than FLA. That is my whole argument. Not trying to take anything away from FLA, but its turning into that with me having to defend so many angles Im being criticized from.

Dude, you are so far off your rocker (sorry Rocker) with this. You're calling people idiots then two sentences later making an argument that flies in the face of your original point. Yes, KSU was a good team and it was in a conference championship game but if I recall OU totally got their asses handed to them in that one. I'm a fan and was embarrassed by the loss and shocked, and little embarrassed again, they still got in. But the real key here is the above statement in red... given that perspective UF should absolutely be in contention because whether you think so or not they have been the most dominant, complete team in the country over the last month or so.

Body of work... quite simply the Gators victories far outweigh those of USC and OU.

OU win the next two and they are still behind UF then you have an excellent argument. Of course, the Gators will still get a shot at knocking off the #1 team which flips everything again.

Wrong again. Bama is better then all Big 12 teams when considering all 3 phases of the game, especially your Sooners. Oklahoma has a suspect defense and plays horrible special teams. Alabama would win 8 out of 10 games against the Sooners. Let's just see how this thing plays out. Once again college football has us all talking! That's why we love it so much!

I disagree with this. I think OU beats Alabama more times than not. They have not impressed me at all.

Now Florida, they scare me. But Florida shouldn't even be in the mix after losing to Ole Miss. Not saying they're not the best. But when you lose a game like that, it should be a deal breaker.

I disagree with this. I think OU beats Alabama more times than not. They have not impressed me at all.

Now Florida, they scare me. But Florida shouldn't even be in the mix after losing to Ole Miss. Not saying they're not the best. But when you lose a game like that, it should be a deal breaker.

I'm a Florida fan, so obviously I want Florida to get to the NC.

My question--don't you want to beat the best team to win the NC? Now obviously, if UF loses another game on the way, they're not the best team. The same if Oklahoma loses another, they clearly aren't the best team. As for me, I would like to see Texas Tech come through undefeated and play Florida because if UF is fortunate enough to get to the NC game and win, I'd like to have them beat the best team available. Clearly, if TT wins the rest of their games up to the NC game, there will be little argument that they are the best team available to play (I guess USC fans might argue against this, but I don't see a way that USC gets into the NC game).

I so wish there was a playoff system in place.

OU lost the Big 12 Championship game, and was still #1 in the BCS. So what are you idiots arguing. Its already happened, so why is it far fetched to say it can happen again.

And the BCS took a rash of poop for that fiasco. I seriously doubt they'd want that to happen again. The BCS keeps reinventing its rules as lame things like a team getting its ass kicked in the conference championship, only to get into the NC game and get their ass kicked there as well.

So, while you see OU making it after that loss as precedent, it really isn't.

FWIW Let's see what the unbias Colley computer rankings have it.

Top 25—11/16

1. TEXAS

2. FLORIDA

3. TEXAS TECH

4. ALABAMA

5. UTAH

6. SOUTHERN CAL

7. OKLAHOMA

8. GEORGIA

9. PENN STATE

10. BOISE ST

Or not. I mean, who's Colley and why should I think his computer rankings should matter any more than anything else? I mean, I'm sure this list has its merits but...

Why, for instance, is USC ahead of OU. Both have a loss, but USC lost to a worse team. Both have been murdering opponents, but you can hardly say that USC has being doing so vs stronger teams. Now, they have allowed less points, but they've also played some insanely horrible teams. What "unbiased" criteria does USC have over OU?

I might look at both teams and say I think USC is better, but that's beside the point.

Edited by detlef