[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles fans - fearful of dark ages?

xMRogers

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Zero chance of that, no one will trade for a QB they can get at years end, plus a 1st or 2nd? LOL! :D

He's signed through next season, so I'd say a 1st or 2nd is possible, particularly if there are multiple teams interested to drive up his value. You know the Vikes will be one of them, with Childress spending much of his time as a coordinator with McNabb.

Since I attended this game, I'll share some of my thoughts:

• First and foremost, the entire team is in disarray. The QB play was bad, the receivers weren't consistently getting open, they were dropping passes, the play calling was horrendous... the defense has been the only consistent part of this team throughout the season, and the offense left they out to dry today.

• Back to the QB play and benching... I understand why people are saying, "how could you bench him when the game was 10-7?" but McNabb was flat out horrible this week, last week, and in the first quarter a few games before that. He was about as inaccurate as I've ever seen him yesterday. WRs were running 15 yard outs and he was underthrowing them by 5 or more yards. He overthrew a few open receivers. He missed DeSean Jackson streaking down the field without a guy within 10 yards of him at one point. When he attempted to throw deep to DeSean (who had another guy beat 1-on-1), he underthrew him and it was intercepted. Some people say you can't do it because he's been in a funk before and he's got out of it, but this funk lasted 7+ quarters - and it wasn't like he was a click off, he was as bad as I've seen him in recent memory.

• From what I've stated above, I really can't blame Andy Reid for making the call when he did. It was controversial, but this team was being completely outplayed and seemingly had no chance to do anything on offense with him in there. What I don't think was right was the way he let the news of the benching trickle down from the QBs coach. After 10 years of being attached at the hip with this guy, he should have done it himself, period.

• I have also heard a few people on the local media say Kolb is not an NFL QB.... my response is give the guy a f**king break... he probably hasn't practiced with the first team all year, and he was put on the spot, on the road, against one of the best defenses in the league. The goal-line interception was a bad pass, but I put more of the blame on Andy Reid for the playcalling... 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line... their short yardage running game has been abysmal, but pound the ball 3x instead of putting all the pressure on a QB with no experience.

• Speaking of the play-calling, I can't begin to state how bad it was. First off, I saw numerous obvious passing downs in the first half where DeSean Jackson wasn't on the field. He may be a rookie, but he has proven to be their best receiver, and I don't know what the hell Andy was thinking by taking him out so much. There was even one play where neither him nor Kevin Curtis were on the field on a critical passing down. I don't know if this was the same play, but there was a 3rd and long when they only had two WR run routes - no TEs went out, no RBs went out, just two receivers. On that play, the Ravens had about 5 guys to cover 2 WRs... how do you expect to get a first down when you're forcing yourself to throw into double coverage????

As an Eagles fan, I was just disgusted by their performance overall, and while I think McNabb gives them the best chance to win the rest of the year, it's obvious that he can't do it himself, particularly the way he is currently playing. As much as it pains me to say it, I think it's time to play Kolb and move on, because the poop has officially hit the fan.

Edited by thenflblog

Oh, and one more thing with Donovan... he seems so afraid to get injured again, because he never runs the ball anymore. I'm not asking for 50 yard dashes like he has done in the past, but there have been numerous times this season where he stands in the pocket for 5+ seconds, can't find anyone, and throws it away or throws a terrible pass. On the majority of these plays, there are lanes to run - at least to pick up 5 yards here and there to make the next down that much easier. But he just doesn't do it anymore, and I wish I knew why.

WRs were running 15 yard outs and he was underthrowing them by 5 or more yards. He overthrew a few open receivers. He missed DeSean Jackson streaking down the field without a guy within 10 yards of him at one point. When he attempted to throw deep to DeSean (who had another guy beat 1-on-1), he underthrew him and it was intercepted.

If you think any team in the league would give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for this, you're insane.

McNabb's market value right now is in the neighborhood of Randy Moss' before he left Oakland. 4th rounder at best.

McNabb's value is a ton more than Moss' was, if for no other reason than the position he plays.

Now he's back to starting Thursday night (I'm guessing till they lose their 6th which will put them out of the playoffs). What a cluster-f*ck. And while I fully agree you can't decide on Kolb based on one half....I have no faith in him (never have)

If you think any team in the league would give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for this, you're insane.

McNabb's market value right now is in the neighborhood of Randy Moss' before he left Oakland. 4th rounder at best.

You are the crazy one, my friend. I agree with the last post, a QBs value will ALWAYS be more than any other position - and he's only 31, it's not like a Favre situation where he may only play for one year.

Again, McNabb has been bad, there is no denying that, but the components around him have been equally inept. Put him around a much better offensive unit and I still think he could be successful.

McNabb's value is a ton more than Moss' was, if for no other reason than the position he plays.

Now he's back to starting Thursday night (I'm guessing till they lose their 6th which will put them out of the playoffs). What a cluster-f*ck. And while I fully agree you can't decide on Kolb based on one half....I have no faith in him (never have)

Yea, I'm not sold on him either, but I'd want to see him in at least 6 full games before I jump to any conclusions.

You are the crazy one, my friend. I agree with the last post, a QBs value will ALWAYS be more than any other position - and he's only 31, it's not like a Favre situation where he may only play for one year.

Again, McNabb has been bad, there is no denying that, but the components around him have been equally inept. Put him around a much better offensive unit and I still think he could be successful.

I guess we'll see. He's also got 5 more weeks to boost his value for the coming offseason.

I'm not sure you can accurately compare McNabb and Favre in terms of shelf life going forward. McNabb at 31 has a longer injury history than just about any QB I can think of. Well, maybe Trent Green but what's his value? Zero. McNabb at 31 has much less tread left on the tires than Favre does at 38.

And what do the Eagles do if he doesn't return next year? Go with Kolb? Good god that would be a mess. Try and hit the jackpot in the draft and pray you get a Matt Ryan type? Seems like a longshot. I don't know the answer.

The Vikings believe they are a good QB away from a super bowl win.

I rest my case. :wacko:

I guess we'll see. He's also got 5 more weeks to boost his value for the coming offseason.

I'm not sure you can accurately compare McNabb and Favre in terms of shelf life going forward. McNabb at 31 has a longer injury history than just about any QB I can think of. Well, maybe Trent Green but what's his value? Zero. McNabb at 31 has much less tread left on the tires than Favre does at 38.

And what do the Eagles do if he doesn't return next year? Go with Kolb? Good god that would be a mess. Try and hit the jackpot in the draft and pray you get a Matt Ryan type? Seems like a longshot. I don't know the answer.

Well I agree with you there... if they let go of McNabb, it's time to rebuild - I do think they can rebuild in a year though, they still have a solid and pretty young defense. Maybe Kolb will turn out to be a solid QB with more experience. Either way, they should definitely draft another QB this year for insurance if they get rid of DMac.

McNabb does have an injury history, but most of his injuries have come on the run, so since he doesn't do that as much anymore, I think that worry is lessened. But don't forget, McNabb is a potential hall of fame candidate with a few more solid seasons and a playoff run or two in his future. He's the most prolific QB for the Eagles franchise, a 5-time Pro Bowler, and took his team to 3 NFC championships and a Super Bowl with pretty mediocre offensive weapons (besides T.O.).

Look at this stat, which I found on the Eagles website - his favorite receiving targets over his tenure here:

Brian Westbrook RB 333 3,108 25

Chad Lewis TE 200 2,029 20

Duce Staley RB 184 1,790 8

Todd Pinkston WR 173 2,677 11

L.J. Smith TE 171 1,859 16

James Thrash WR 154 1,908 14

Terrell Owens WR 132 2,081 20

Reggie Brown WR 107 1,615 10

Freddie Mitchell WR 88 1,259 5

Greg Lewis WR 95 1,387 5

Two of his top three options were RBs, and Owens did better than everyone else in a year and a half. The majority of the people on this list are complete bums, which tells you that McNabb vaulted himself as the best Philly QB ever with a less than stellar cast around him for his entire career.

Look at this stat, which I found on the Eagles website - his favorite receiving targets over his tenure here:

Brian Westbrook RB 333 3,108 25

Chad Lewis TE 200 2,029 20

Duce Staley RB 184 1,790 8

Todd Pinkston WR 173 2,677 11

L.J. Smith TE 171 1,859 16

James Thrash WR 154 1,908 14

Terrell Owens WR 132 2,081 20

Reggie Brown WR 107 1,615 10

Freddie Mitchell WR 88 1,259 5

Greg Lewis WR 95 1,387 5

Jesus...that's AWFUL to read. Todd f'n Pinkston is 4th and his top WR in his career.....the fact he's been to the playoffs 7 times with that is unbelievable...

And I definitely say they get probably a 2 and a 4 for him from one of several teams (Minn probably the top candidate)

The mistake is not starting Kolb the rest of the year to see if he can be a legit QB in this league. Its pretty much a forgone conclusion that McNabb is gone after this year. He was a good quaterback but I stop short of calling him great (or HOFer). Of his 5 pro bowls how many was he a replacement selected by the NFC coach and who was the NFC coach?

hint his initials are A.R.

The mistake is not starting Kolb the rest of the year to see if he can be a legit QB in this league. Its pretty much a forgone conclusion that McNabb is gone after this year. He was a good quaterback but I stop short of calling him great (or HOFer). Of his 5 pro bowls how many was he a replacement selected by the NFC coach and who was the NFC coach?

I kow it, Andy Reid... :wacko:

McNabb has value in this league. Eagles would have to jump if they can get a first rounder for him.

Weren't they asking something crazy last off season for people to even talk about him? Like three first rounders?

That sounds familiar. I'd take a 1st rounder for him and have 3 in next year's draft.

I don't think he's a hall of famer yet, but if he plays at a high level for the next few years and makes a playoff run or two, I'd say there is a good shot. And he may have been selected as a replacement, but you have to admit that he was a top 5 QB or better for a good part of the past decade, and he's had arguably the worst cast to work with.

I have to disagree ... yes he plays QB but he will not be anybody's QB of the future ... he is a stop gap measure. I don't see any team giving up a 1st for a stop gap probably not a 2nd.

I don't think he's a hall of famer yet, but if he plays at a high level for the next few years and makes a playoff run or two, I'd say there is a good shot.

You do know there's a heated debate around here lately on whether or not Kurt Warner is HOF worthy, right?

I have to disagree ... yes he plays QB but he will not be anybody's QB of the future ... he is a stop gap measure. I don't see any team giving up a 1st for a stop gap probably not a 2nd.

Agree, but you don't give up big draft picks for QB of the future....you give them up for chance to win a SB right now. I do agree no one is giving up a 1st, but he's not going for anything like the Moss special of a 4th. Predict a 2 and 4, possibly 2 and 5

Of course, now that I've had a day to digest, when he leads us to 5 straight wins and the strangest playoff spot you ever saw then a superbowl, he'll be right back in Philly like he should

The Jets traded a high pick for essentially a one year window with Favre. You don't think teams would do that with McNabb? Given, McNabb is gonna be coming off a bad season compared to Favre's last year, but still. And there are gonna be a lot of QB openings next year.