Sign in to follow this  
LordOpie

Is this Thomas Jones' last year in NY?

From an advice thread...

I imagine that this might be Jones' last year in NY.

Why would this be?

I understand that next year will be the beginning of the so-called RB decline since he'll be 31yo and has carried 1900 times so far. But he's averaging 4.4yds/carry this year on 217 carries so far. That's pretty darn good and I'm confused as to why the Jets would let him go?

What would y'all guess that TJ's production would be next year?

I had a discussion with my friends over the weeken...I think the Jets will start looking for a replacement this offseason, wether it be a vet or a rookie. I would not be surprised if this is his last year but I doubt it is. I expect the following year to be his last year as a primary back in the NFL.

I had a discussion with my friends over the weeken...I think the Jets will start looking for a replacement this offseason, wether it be a vet or a rookie. I would not be surprised if this is his last year but I doubt it is. I expect the following year to be his last year as a primary back in the NFL.

Are you saying that you don't think Leon Washington can be the #1 after TJ?

I don't think Leon is built to be a primary back. Thats just my personal opinion. Of course I've never been wrong so.....

I don't think so..I think he is the perfect COP back but I don't believe he can handle full load.

Jones will be a Jet next year and will be the starter. That's not even a matter of debate.

How productive he will be depends on whether Favre is a Jet next year.

If Favre comes back, then Thomas Jones will have another productive year. Perhaps not as good as this year, but top 10 in the NFL and fantasy-wise.

If Favre retires, and some clown like Kellen Clemens comes in, Jones will still be the starter, but his numbers will revert to last year's levels.

It doesn't appear the Jets want to use Washington as a primary back.

He has one more year on his contract, so the Jets are going to have to throw some cash at him this offseason if they want to keep him.

Jones will be a Jet next year and will be the starter. That's not even a matter of debate.

If Favre comes back, then Thomas Jones will have another productive year. Perhaps not as good as this year, but top 10 in the NFL and fantasy-wise.

If Favre retires, and some clown like Kellen Clemens comes in, Jones will still be the starter, but his numbers will revert to last year's levels.

I think Favre has one more year left in him.

I think Favre has one more year left in him.

Especially if he has a good season and goes deep in playoffs (which I think both will come true).

I think this is Jones' last "good" year regardless. Age/etc will catch up to him and at least to some extent (if not a lot) for Favre.

I think this is Jones' last "good" year regardless. Age/etc will catch up to him and at least to some extent (if not a lot) for Favre.

I don't know about that. He's largely avoided injury, he has fewer carries than a lot of guys his age because he wasn't a full time back for 2 or 3 years, and with that OL, Richardson and favre (if he returns) i would expect another solid season.

Not a lot of mileage on this guy, and anybody that has seen him knows that he's a rock....not a bit of soft on that guy. He can defy age like CuMar did.

ETA: not sure if the ages match up here, but TJ has a few good years left.

Edited by gilthorp

Not a lot of mileage on this guy, and anybody that has seen him knows that he's a rock....not a bit of soft on that guy. He can defy age like CuMar did.

My thoughts exactly. C-Mart is a pretty good comparison. We shall see though.

Of course I've never been wrong so.....

Don't be bitter. Stewart still has time to win Rookie of the Year...

:wacko:

Don't be bitter. Stewart still has time to win Rookie of the Year...

:D

this is pretty much how i see it....and saw it before the season started....its why i drafted jones in the 3rd round when most thought of it as a reach....i figured i was getting second half of 07 ryan grant....was pretty frustrating early on as they decided to chuck the ball all over the field and let it be the favre show....that and the offensive line wasnt very cohesive....but they are starting to fire on all cylinders now

and i see no reason for a big dropoff if favre is back....he might be slighly overvalued next year though

Difference between Martin and Jones is that Curtis Martin had stong legs, Thomas Jones has strong arms. I've rarely seen Thomas Jones break a tackle. He goes down on first contact more than any starting NFL runningback I've ever seen.

Leon can't take over, he's perfect where he's at being an X factor...

if TJ doesn't return, I'd be very interested as to where they go with their next starter.....Free Agency?, Draft?..

if there is a good RB that falls to them later in the 1st, maybe they draft him?...:wacko: ....I don't follow College so I have no idea how many good RB's there are in this draft, but there's usually at least 10 draftable RB's anyways...

Difference between Martin and Jones is that Curtis Martin had stong legs, Thomas Jones has strong arms. I've rarely seen Thomas Jones break a tackle. He goes down on first contact more than any starting NFL runningback I've ever seen.

Agreed. he also takes what the O-line gives him better than any back out there which will help him stay healthy and productive a little longer than most RB's. many backs will leave the automatic 4 yards his line gives in search for a few more yards which in many cases hurts the team and can get a back hurt. he reminds me of Emmitt Smith in that way.

I realize that Jones has a relatively modest 1,800 career carries, but he'll also be 31 next summer. Most halfbacks begin to peter out in their early 30s. (And LOL at the comparison to Curtis Martin.)

I'm sure that Jones would be at least halfway decent next year, but it's going to come down to cap space. His cap hit this season is $5.6 million, and I'm sure it'll be even more next year. That's a lot of money to spend on a back on the downside of his career. Especially when they have a more explosive Leon Washington at their disposal and when the Jets splurged on pricey FAs this past summer. Even if Washington isn't a 300-carry back, the Jets might be better off financially taking a back in the draft and running RBBC with him and Washington in '09.

Edited by Bill Swerski

this is pretty much how i see it....and saw it before the season started....its why i drafted jones in the 3rd round when most thought of it as a reach

I did the same thing. I figured (correctly, in retrospect) that Favre, Faneca, Woody, and Richardson would really open up the ground game. After watching Jones manage 1,000 yds on last year's crappy Jets offense and what he did on some of the crappy offenses in Chicago, I didn't see it as a stretch at all.