[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Losing to win !

RussMan

4 teams clinched last week, it's just a matter of seeding. In looking at the teams, and the matchups for our first week of the playoffs (week 14), one team clearly has the toughest matchups.

By losing this week, I have 75% chance of getting the matchup I want AND no chance of playing the highest scoring team in the league.

So...Today I made a tough decision. I have decided to lose on purpose this week in order to get the matchup I want in the playoffs. I could barely bring myself to submit a lineup with my best players riding the pine. I hate to lose. But I want another Championship and think this is my best chance to get it.

In 11 years of fantasy football I have never done this... anyone out there ever try losing to win?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry... I prefer to be able to sleep and I couldn't do that if I lost on purpose. Just goes against the grain. I understand why you are doing it... but I sure couldn't do it.

What are you going to do if the team you are trying to avoid loses too and you end up playing him anyway? That would sure suck.

Countless people have employed this strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. Based on my experience in fantasy football, it's no more or less effective than trying to win every game.

The people for whom it backfires rarely admit it.

No. I think you're the first person who has thought of this.

Good luck!

I ran the scenarios for each outcome of this weeks games, including tiebreakers, for seeding.

If I lose I have a 75% chance of playing the team I want. If I win I have a 25% chance of getting the game I want.

I may still end up changing my mind becuase I hate to lose... but for now my lineup is in. :wacko:

I ran the scenarios for each outcome of this weeks games, including tiebreakers, for seeding.

If I lose I have a 75% chance of playing the team I want. If I win I have a 25% chance of getting the game I want.

I may still end up changing my mind becuase I hate to lose... but for now my lineup is in. :wacko:

Lose, baby lose!!!!

In the words of Yoda

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

“The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.”

Your fear of facing the highest scoring team in your league will lead to your undoing.

Who would you rather face?

Team1: Prefer to play him.

A Rodgers vs PHI #5 pass D

C Portis @ BAL #4 run D

B Westbrooke @ NYG #6 run D #8pass D

S Moss @ BAL #3 pass D

Team 2: Dont want to play him.

Brees vs ATL #23 pass D

C Johnson vs CLE #27 run D

M Turner @ NO #17 run D

B Marshall vs KC #28 pass D

Team 3:

Romo at Pit #1 pass D

Forte vs Jax #18 run D

Gore vs NYJ #3 rush D

Colston vs ATL #23 pass D

Edited by RussMan

Who would you rather face?

Team1:

A Rodgers vs PHI #5 pass D

C Portis @ BAL #4 run D

B Westbrooke @ NYG #6 run D #8pass D

S Moss @ BAL #3 pass D

Team 2:

Brees vs ATL #23 pass D

C Johnson vs CLE #27 run D

M Turner @ NO #17 run D

B Marshall vs KC #28 pass D

Team 3:

Romo at Pit #1 pass D

Forte vs Jax #18 run D

Gore vs NYJ #3 rush D

Colston vs ATL #23 pass D

So you are trying to stay away from team 2 I would guess. and understandable with those matchups.

It does make sense. if the playoff race is over I now completely understand your issue.

In the words of Yoda

Your fear of facing the highest scoring team in your league will lead to your undoing.

I dont fear him becuase I beat him twice already and we have averaged almost the same per game. I would just prefer to play him in the Championship.

I am a big believer on matchups. It effects how I draft, how I trade, and this year who I want to play.

Edited by RussMan

I dont fear him becuase I beat him twice already and we have averaged almost the same per game.

But I am a big believer on matchups. It effects how I draft, how I trade, and this year who I want to play.

Yeah I understand what you are doing I was just having fun with it.

I am not sure what I would do given the same circumstances but hey, the point is not what you do in the regulare season it is what you do in the post season, just ask last years Pat's team.

If this helps you win more money than you would otherwise go for it. But in reality it is all just a crap shoot. I have a team in my local that has been averaging less than 95 pts a game all year but put up over 120 & 140 in each of the last two weeks respectively, so you never know.

I installed a rule for play-off seedings in a league I formed this year and am going to propose it to my other one for next year. In both leagues, we have a 4 team play-off. It's a pick your poison rule. That is, the 1st seed gets to pick which of the other play-off teams he wants for his semi-final matchup. That would end any silliness like this as well as provide a true reward for the #1 overall seed.

I installed a rule for play-off seedings in a league I formed this year and am going to propose it to my other one for next year. In both leagues, we have a 4 team play-off. It's a pick your poison rule. That is, the 1st seed gets to pick which of the other play-off teams he wants for his semi-final matchup. That would end any silliness like this as well as provide a true reward for the #1 overall seed.

I like this rule Detlef. it definately helps with the fairness of a league.