[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Losing to win !

RussMan

I installed a rule for play-off seedings in a league I formed this year and am going to propose it to my other one for next year. In both leagues, we have a 4 team play-off. It's a pick your poison rule. That is, the 1st seed gets to pick which of the other play-off teams he wants for his semi-final matchup. That would end any silliness like this as well as provide a true reward for the #1 overall seed.

Well, now there is an interesting idea I have never heard of. How does it work out usually? Do teams guess correctly?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the consensus here. If you can make a subtle roster move that might sway the outcome without raising too many eyebrows, I say maybe do that. But an all out tanking is just begging for trouble. I have seen so many teams rise from the muck of the lower seeds to win the championship, I wouldn't go into weeks 14-16 with too many pre-conceived notions. That lower seed you seek to go against might just reach up and bite you in the ass.

I installed a rule for play-off seedings in a league I formed this year and am going to propose it to my other one for next year. In both leagues, we have a 4 team play-off. It's a pick your poison rule. That is, the 1st seed gets to pick which of the other play-off teams he wants for his semi-final matchup. That would end any silliness like this as well as provide a true reward for the #1 overall seed.

We've toyed with this idea for awhile now but never implemented it. It would be interesting to know how often the 1 seed chose correctly.

Well, now there is an interesting idea I have never heard of. How does it work out usually? Do teams guess correctly?

This is the first year I'm doing it, so I don't know. One thing, of course, is that it is 100% "fair". Of course, those in the league that I've talked about the rule with fear it as yet another thing that can come back to bite you in the ass. Not unlike having an embarrassment of riches at a certain position. It's nice to have a few guys to choose from to start but you end up always benching a guy who goes off. Obviously, the same could happen here. Who knows, but nobody is going to get screwed.

So, we'll see. At this point, I've all but locked up the #1 seed. Among the other contenders, there's certainly one that has been doing it with smoke and mirrors but is currently tied for 2nd, so he's my 1st choice. He's actually 6th overall in total points scored but is the guy who always seems to play the week's low scorer.

Oh, and part of why I did this was because of how we're determining who even makes the play-offs. We take the top 3 W/L records and then the team with the highest total points among the rest of the league. Since total points may actually be a better indicator of how strong your team is, I felt that it might actually suck to be the #1 seed and draw a guy who might be the next best team in the play-offs. Which, if the play-offs began today, would be precisely the case. I have the best record and the highest total points but the guy with the next highest point total and arguably the next best team is currently tied for 4th.

For shame Russman..For shame....This thread reminds me of one thing. Why was there no Russman challenge this year ?

LOL. Too busy this year.

Me winning or losing will not effect any team making the playoffs. The playoff teams are set. I'm just trying to avoid the guy that has the easiest matchups. I know there are no gauruntees, just trying to increase my chances, much in the way we decide which players we want to go with each week.

We take the top 3 W/L records and then the team with the highest total points among the rest of the league.

While I was intrigued by your seeding idea, I'm not a fan of this one. I'd hate to have a 6-7 team in before an 8-5 team because he scored a few more points throughout the year.

I think a better way to recognize the teams that had a good season points wise throughout the year but missed the playoffs is to pay out the top X number of spots in total points (my league is a 14-teamer and we pay the top 5 spots). We actually pay 40% or so of the total pot to total points teams.

We call it "Pick your Poision". I have never done well when I was the number one overall. I never pick the correct poision.

While I was intrigued by your seeding idea, I'm not a fan of this one. I'd hate to have a 6-7 team in before an 8-5 team because he scored a few more points throughout the year.

I think a better way to recognize the teams that had a good season points wise throughout the year but missed the playoffs is to pay out the top X number of spots in total points (my league is a 14-teamer and we pay the top 5 spots). We actually pay 40% or so of the total pot to total points teams.

The reason why your concern doesn't bother me is that, unlike pretty much unlike any other competition, the will to win only affects your ability to score points, not your ability to score more than your opponent. Winning ugly is not a sign of grit and determination, it's a sign of being lucky enough to be playing a team that just happened to suck more than you did.

Honestly, the only reason why head to head should even exist in Fantasy is to make it interesting week in and week out. You're not actually "playing anyone". You're just putting up as many points as you can and having them compared to some other team at random. I think that by making 3 of the 4 playoff teams determined by record gives enough credence to what is technically something that barely deserves any.

In reality, rather than throwing a token bone to the high points guy, we should be throwing a token bone to the high record guy.

The reason why your concern doesn't bother me is that, unlike pretty much unlike any other competition, the will to win only affects your ability to score points, not your ability to score more than your opponent. Winning ugly is not a sign of grit and determination, it's a sign of being lucky enough to be playing a team that just happened to suck more than you did.

Honestly, the only reason why head to head should even exist in Fantasy is to make it interesting week in and week out. You're not actually "playing anyone". You're just putting up as many points as you can and having them compared to some other team at random. I think that by making 3 of the 4 playoff teams determined by record gives enough credence to what is technically something that barely deserves any.

In reality, rather than throwing a token bone to the high points guy, we should be throwing a token bone to the high record guy.

If you really want to test someone's ff ability set roster limits for each position play head to head and then award the victory to the owner whose starters scored the highest % of his teams potential points. It is one of the stats that MFL keeps and sometimes I see someone who started their perect lineup lose by just a couple of points to someone who left 40 points on the bench.

Now I ask you, which owner managed his available players better?

We've toyed with this idea (letting #1 seed choose first round opponent) for awhile now but never implemented it. It would be interesting to know how often the 1 seed chose correctly.

We've had this rule for a couple of years. Last year I was regular season winner and didn't choose to play 4th seed, but instead, the #3 because of perceived matchups ...... ended up losing both weeks, finishing 4th ..... would have been at least 2nd had I just gone against the 4th seed. :wacko:

If you really want to test someone's ff ability set roster limits for each position play head to head and then award the victory to the owner whose starters scored the highest % of his teams potential points. It is one of the stats that MFL keeps and sometimes I see someone who started their perect lineup lose by just a couple of points to someone who left 40 points on the bench.

Now I ask you, which owner managed his available players better?

The guy who didn't draft or use the waiver wire as well so his team wasn't deep and therefor had less quality players on the bench? :wacko:

I see the efficiency rating thing get brought up as some testimony to how good you are but it is really a very inaccurate barometer. In the league I'm speak of, I have perhaps the best team I've ever had. The highest pick I had that didn't pan out was Robert Meachem at pick 11, I was able to parlay one of my late round RB picks into the epitome of buy low/sell high to get Peyton Manning and am now totally stacked at every position. Well, now that McNabb has hit the skids, I only have one good QB, oh well. Not saying this to brag, because my other team is being held together with tape and glue. None the less, I have the highest total points scored but also have a rather middle of the road % of total possible because every week I've got guys going off that I didn't start.

Week before last, when we got our report, it told me that I shouldn't have started Thomas Jones because he only got me 17.9 pts. Turns out, I should have had Peyton Hillis going instead. BFD, I dropped like 150, which is about as high as anyone has scored all season.

So, why should a team like mine be penalized?

Edited by detlef

The guy who didn't draft or use the waiver wire as well so his team wasn't deep and therefor had less quality players on the bench? :wacko:

I see the efficiency rating thing get brought up as some testimony to how good you are but it is really a very inaccurate barometer. In the league I'm speak of, I have perhaps the best team I've ever had. The highest pick I had that didn't pan out was Robert Meachem at pick 11, I was able to parlay one of my late round RB picks into the epitome of buy low/sell high to get Peyton Manning and am now totally stacked at every position. Well, now that McNabb has hit the skids, I only have one good QB, oh well. Not saying this to brag, because my other team is being held together with tape and glue. None the less, I have the highest total points scored but also have a rather middle of the road % of total possible because every week I've got guys going off that I didn't start.

Week before last, when we got our report, it told me that I shouldn't have started Thomas Jones because he only got me 17.9 pts. Turns out, I should have had Peyton Hillis going instead. BFD, I dropped like 150, which is about as high as anyone has scored all season.

So, why should a team like mine be penalized?

This is why I do not like going with efficiency rating also. the best teams will get penalized for having such a good bench.