Sign in to follow this  
RussMan

Losing to win !

The reason why your concern doesn't bother me is that, unlike pretty much unlike any other competition, the will to win only affects your ability to score points, not your ability to score more than your opponent. Winning ugly is not a sign of grit and determination, it's a sign of being lucky enough to be playing a team that just happened to suck more than you did.

Honestly, the only reason why head to head should even exist in Fantasy is to make it interesting week in and week out. You're not actually "playing anyone". You're just putting up as many points as you can and having them compared to some other team at random. I think that by making 3 of the 4 playoff teams determined by record gives enough credence to what is technically something that barely deserves any.

In reality, rather than throwing a token bone to the high points guy, we should be throwing a token bone to the high record guy.

If you really want to test someone's ff ability set roster limits for each position play head to head and then award the victory to the owner whose starters scored the highest % of his teams potential points. It is one of the stats that MFL keeps and sometimes I see someone who started their perect lineup lose by just a couple of points to someone who left 40 points on the bench.

Now I ask you, which owner managed his available players better?

We've toyed with this idea (letting #1 seed choose first round opponent) for awhile now but never implemented it. It would be interesting to know how often the 1 seed chose correctly.

We've had this rule for a couple of years. Last year I was regular season winner and didn't choose to play 4th seed, but instead, the #3 because of perceived matchups ...... ended up losing both weeks, finishing 4th ..... would have been at least 2nd had I just gone against the 4th seed. :wacko:

If you really want to test someone's ff ability set roster limits for each position play head to head and then award the victory to the owner whose starters scored the highest % of his teams potential points. It is one of the stats that MFL keeps and sometimes I see someone who started their perect lineup lose by just a couple of points to someone who left 40 points on the bench.

Now I ask you, which owner managed his available players better?

The guy who didn't draft or use the waiver wire as well so his team wasn't deep and therefor had less quality players on the bench? :wacko:

I see the efficiency rating thing get brought up as some testimony to how good you are but it is really a very inaccurate barometer. In the league I'm speak of, I have perhaps the best team I've ever had. The highest pick I had that didn't pan out was Robert Meachem at pick 11, I was able to parlay one of my late round RB picks into the epitome of buy low/sell high to get Peyton Manning and am now totally stacked at every position. Well, now that McNabb has hit the skids, I only have one good QB, oh well. Not saying this to brag, because my other team is being held together with tape and glue. None the less, I have the highest total points scored but also have a rather middle of the road % of total possible because every week I've got guys going off that I didn't start.

Week before last, when we got our report, it told me that I shouldn't have started Thomas Jones because he only got me 17.9 pts. Turns out, I should have had Peyton Hillis going instead. BFD, I dropped like 150, which is about as high as anyone has scored all season.

So, why should a team like mine be penalized?

Edited by detlef

The guy who didn't draft or use the waiver wire as well so his team wasn't deep and therefor had less quality players on the bench? :wacko:

I see the efficiency rating thing get brought up as some testimony to how good you are but it is really a very inaccurate barometer. In the league I'm speak of, I have perhaps the best team I've ever had. The highest pick I had that didn't pan out was Robert Meachem at pick 11, I was able to parlay one of my late round RB picks into the epitome of buy low/sell high to get Peyton Manning and am now totally stacked at every position. Well, now that McNabb has hit the skids, I only have one good QB, oh well. Not saying this to brag, because my other team is being held together with tape and glue. None the less, I have the highest total points scored but also have a rather middle of the road % of total possible because every week I've got guys going off that I didn't start.

Week before last, when we got our report, it told me that I shouldn't have started Thomas Jones because he only got me 17.9 pts. Turns out, I should have had Peyton Hillis going instead. BFD, I dropped like 150, which is about as high as anyone has scored all season.

So, why should a team like mine be penalized?

This is why I do not like going with efficiency rating also. the best teams will get penalized for having such a good bench.

In our league we can play a TE for a WR. So I started Witten and M Bennet. Both have Touchdowns... geez. I might end up winning with my worst possible lineup.

In our league we can play a TE for a WR. So I started Witten and M Bennet. Both have Touchdowns... geez. I might end up winning with my worst possible lineup.

Told yah. Now the football gods will follow it up with the worst week you have ever had with your strongest lineup.

That's what you get for f'n with destiny. :wacko:

DON'T DO IT! I tried the exact same thing last year and it blew up in my face. I put in a weak lineup the week before the playoffs so I would loose and not have to play Romo and TO. Well I lost, didn't have to play against them, and lo and behold Romo and TO had a horrible game in the snow and the team that owned them scored his lowest total for the entire year. I would have crushed him and gone to the finals, but I lost my matchup and got nothing.

Bottom line is, you never know what football will serve up at the fantasy table, and you always have to put in your best lineup at all times. Lessoned learned from personal experience and I will never do it again.

Edited by heehawks