Sign in to follow this  
RussMan

Losing to win !

Recommended Posts

4 teams clinched last week, it's just a matter of seeding. In looking at the teams, and the matchups for our first week of the playoffs (week 14), one team clearly has the toughest matchups.

 

By losing this week, I have 75% chance of getting the matchup I want AND no chance of playing the highest scoring team in the league.

 

So...Today I made a tough decision. I have decided to lose on purpose this week in order to get the matchup I want in the playoffs. I could barely bring myself to submit a lineup with my best players riding the pine. I hate to lose. But I want another Championship and think this is my best chance to get it.

 

In 11 years of fantasy football I have never done this... anyone out there ever try losing to win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. I think you're the first person who has thought of this.

 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry... I prefer to be able to sleep and I couldn't do that if I lost on purpose. Just goes against the grain. I understand why you are doing it... but I sure couldn't do it.

 

What are you going to do if the team you are trying to avoid loses too and you end up playing him anyway? That would sure suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if NFL teams regularly rest starters in the last game when they've clinched, I don't see why you shouldn't follow in a similar fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bad mojo... that sort of thing always comes back to haunt me if I try it. It never ends up like I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bad mojo... that sort of thing always comes back to haunt me if I try it. It never ends up like I think.

 

The FF Gods give you so many wins and so many points. Why would someone want to make them mad?

 

So "bad mojo" for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with what sky and DMD have said. No good will come of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If it has no chance whatsoever in affecting the playoff race for another team I would not have a problem with it although could not do it myself.

Does our Fake Game have more honor than the Real Game?

 

NFL teams rest players every season and it sometimes affects other team's playoff chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No. I think you're the first person who has thought of this.

 

Good luck!

:wacko:

 

Don't do it man. This often backfires and is a bad precedent for leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Countless people have employed this strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. Based on my experience in fantasy football, it's no more or less effective than trying to win every game.

 

The people for whom it backfires rarely admit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my local league the team that has the lowest overall score has outscored everyone in the league the last two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No. I think you're the first person who has thought of this.

 

Good luck!

 

I ran the scenarios for each outcome of this weeks games, including tiebreakers, for seeding.

 

If I lose I have a 75% chance of playing the team I want. If I win I have a 25% chance of getting the game I want.

 

I may still end up changing my mind becuase I hate to lose... but for now my lineup is in. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I ran the scenarios for each outcome of this weeks games, including tiebreakers, for seeding.

 

If I lose I have a 75% chance of playing the team I want. If I win I have a 25% chance of getting the game I want.

 

I may still end up changing my mind becuase I hate to lose... but for now my lineup is in. :wacko:

 

 

Lose, baby lose!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does our Fake Game have more honor than the Real Game?

 

NFL teams rest players every season and it sometimes affects other team's playoff chances.

 

 

In reality it is a smart move that can actually save a player a injury. no injuries are saved in fantasy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in this situation plenty of times and never could I bring myself to lose on purpose. I mean there were times where I was not upset if I did not win but I never tossed a game to try to get the seed I wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the words of Yoda

 

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

 

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

 

“The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.”

 

Your fear of facing the highest scoring team in your league will lead to your undoing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Does our Fake Game have more honor than the Real Game?

 

NFL teams rest players every season and it sometimes affects other team's playoff chances.

 

I've never heard of an NFL team sitting star players to get a favorable matchup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never heard of an NFL team sitting star players to get a favorable matchup

That's not the point :wacko:

 

The point is, they do it and it does affect other teams trying to get into the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who would you rather face?

 

Team1: Prefer to play him.

A Rodgers vs PHI #5 pass D

C Portis @ BAL #4 run D

B Westbrooke @ NYG #6 run D #8pass D

S Moss @ BAL #3 pass D

 

Team 2: Dont want to play him.

Brees vs ATL #23 pass D

C Johnson vs CLE #27 run D

M Turner @ NO #17 run D

B Marshall vs KC #28 pass D

 

Team 3:

Romo at Pit #1 pass D

Forte vs Jax #18 run D

Gore vs NYJ #3 rush D

Colston vs ATL #23 pass D

Edited by RussMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's not the point :wacko:

 

The point is, they do it and it does affect other teams trying to get into the playoffs.

 

And I told you the reasoning behind it.

 

If a team in the NFL lost on purpose to help another team get into the playoffs I woud have a major problem with it is what I am saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who would you rather face?

 

Team1:

A Rodgers vs PHI #5 pass D

C Portis @ BAL #4 run D

B Westbrooke @ NYG #6 run D #8pass D

S Moss @ BAL #3 pass D

 

Team 2:

Brees vs ATL #23 pass D

C Johnson vs CLE #27 run D

M Turner @ NO #17 run D

B Marshall vs KC #28 pass D

 

Team 3:

Romo at Pit #1 pass D

Forte vs Jax #18 run D

Gore vs NYJ #3 rush D

Colston vs ATL #23 pass D

 

 

So you are trying to stay away from team 2 I would guess. and understandable with those matchups.

 

It does make sense. if the playoff race is over I now completely understand your issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In the words of Yoda

 

Your fear of facing the highest scoring team in your league will lead to your undoing.

 

I dont fear him becuase I beat him twice already and we have averaged almost the same per game. I would just prefer to play him in the Championship.

 

I am a big believer on matchups. It effects how I draft, how I trade, and this year who I want to play.

Edited by RussMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I dont fear him becuase I beat him twice already and we have averaged almost the same per game.

 

But I am a big believer on matchups. It effects how I draft, how I trade, and this year who I want to play.

 

Yeah I understand what you are doing I was just having fun with it.

 

I am not sure what I would do given the same circumstances but hey, the point is not what you do in the regulare season it is what you do in the post season, just ask last years Pat's team.

 

If this helps you win more money than you would otherwise go for it. But in reality it is all just a crap shoot. I have a team in my local that has been averaging less than 95 pts a game all year but put up over 120 & 140 in each of the last two weeks respectively, so you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.