[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 rookie RB's?

Steelers0087

I'm actually higher on Moreno (UGA) than Wells. I think Wells lacks the necessary explosiveness.

The big problem with picking RB's is that, when looking around the league, it is really difficult to find many teams with a glaring need at the position, especially after last year's class has filled so many holes.

There are some prospects with speed, and some with size, but very few with both.

My next favorite is probably Spiller from Clemson, who is a speed guy.

As far as the bigger backs, Jennings from Liberty looks outstanding on tape (although that could just be the lack of competetion)

As far as a deeper sleeper, Jeramiah Johnson from Oregon has been awfully impressive since taking over for Stewart.

I'm sure a couple guys that I'm not mentioning will be combine heroes, but this seems to be a the kind of class where a couple guys will come out of the 3rd or 4th round and contribute, rather than the 2nd-3rd round of usual years. Talent is definitely down in this year's RB class. Look for the class two years from now to be superb, but this year and next year look to be very average.

Anyone?

I like Wells, also Knowshon Moreno from GA. I don't think the rookie RB class will be nearly as good as this year's. There were some studs in the 2008 draft. A lot will depend on which teams draft which RBs.

For instance, Chris Johnson had a great situation with Tennessee - a stellar defense, no threatening WRs, a pair of QBs who will never light it up through the air, and a complementary RB in LenDale. Same with Forte and Slaton - Forte was basically handed the job in training camp, Slaton had his opportunity since Ahman doesn't have too much tread on the tires.

I think if Kevin Smith, Jonathan Stewart or Ray Rice went to Chicago or Houston, they would be having similar success. I really like Rice, I think he looks like a young Jones-Drew or Westbrook. But they have the three-headed monster there, so his opportunities are quite limited.

I like Wells, also Knowshon Moreno from GA. I don't think the rookie RB class will be nearly as good as this year's. There were some studs in the 2008 draft. A lot will depend on which teams draft which RBs.

+1

If Knowshon (what a name!) declares this year, he is by far the best of the bunch. I think Beanie has durability issues that will cause him to drop in the draft. And I agree, this years rookie RB class was the best in years and won't be touched for along time to come.

A bruiser (ala MBIII) is Andre Brown out of NC State who also owns very good hands. A great combo. He could rise very quickly with a good combine.

• 4 weeks later...
anyone got a list for best available rookies?

Underclassmen (haven't declared)

Chris Wells - Ohio State

Knowshon Moreno - Georgia

CJ Spiller - Clemson

Lesean McCoy - Pitt

Donald Brown - UConn

Shonn Greene - Iowa

Seniors

James Davis - Clemson

Javon Ringer - Michigan St.

Jeremiah Johnson - Oregon

Andre Brown - North Carolina St.

Rashad Jennings - Liberty

Edited by budlitebrad

Who do you think will be next year's top rookie RB's? This year it is Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, Matt Forte, and Kevin Smith.

Rank the top 5 or 10 Rookie RB's next year.

Is Chris "Beanie" Wells at the top of everyones list?

Boy, it's like the divorce is not even final yet and you are already hanging out at the bars checking out the talent.

this discussion comes after we figure out who ends up where. right now it seems kinda pointless IMO.

The people who get in a tizzy over the draft are the same people (or the same type of people) who get in a tizzy over recruiting. I like learning about prospects, I like finding needles in haystacks for my dynasty leagues, and I do like talking about these guys December through April. However, Az is ultimately correct in that it really isn't worth discussing in too great a detail until finding out where they land.

That said, I don't think this is a draft with a lot of 1st Round talent at the skill positions. You're looking at maybe the QB from Georgia being the #1 overall pick, and then you're looking at Crabtree and that Harvin kid from Florida at WR, and then Wells and Moreno at RB. A lot of talent at OT and DE this year all over the country.

For instance, Chris Johnson had a great situation with Tennessee - a stellar defense, no threatening WRs, a pair of QBs who will never light it up through the air, and a complementary RB in LenDale. Same with Forte and Slaton - Forte was basically handed the job in training camp, Slaton had his opportunity since Ahman doesn't have too much tread on the tires.

I really like Rice, I think he looks like a young Jones-Drew or Westbrook.

+1

Edited by Avernus

Chris Wells - Ohio State

Knowshon Moreno - Georgia

James Davis - Clemson

CJ Spiller - Clemson

Lesean McCoy - Pitt

Donald Brown - UConn

Shonn Greene - Iowa

Javon Ringer - Michigan St.

Jeremiah Johnson - Oregon

Andre Brown - North Carolina St.

Rashad Jennings - Liberty

A lot on this list haven't declared yet.

this discussion comes after we figure out who ends up where. right now it seems kinda pointless IMO.

Totally disagree. Guess you're not in any dynasty leagues and maybe missed out on the likes of Forte and Chris Johnson in your redrafts this year?

The people who get in a tizzy over the draft are the same people (or the same type of people) who get in a tizzy over recruiting. I like learning about prospects, I like finding needles in haystacks for my dynasty leagues, and I do like talking about these guys December through April. However, Az is ultimately correct in that it really isn't worth discussing in too great a detail until finding out where they land.

That said, I don't think this is a draft with a lot of 1st Round talent at the skill positions. You're looking at maybe the QB from Georgia being the #1 overall pick, and then you're looking at Crabtree and that Harvin kid from Florida at WR, and then Wells and Moreno at RB. A lot of talent at OT and DE this year all over the country.

Agree...

I like the phrase needles in needle stacks. :wacko:

It is never too early to evaluate talent, especially at the most important position in FF.

You can literally make or break a dynasty or keeper team based on how well you draft rookie RBs. If you want to wait til after the draft and then read a little blurb about each of these guys, you're gonna be well behind the guy that has been compiling these names and watching them play all season. The results of the draft aren't even that important. Talent will rise, regardless. People thought LT was drafted into a terrible situation where he couldn't be successful. The same thing was said about AD. I'm just saying, if you know the talent, it is a lot easier to roll with the punches.

Edited by Seahawks21

I've seen every game Knowshon's played in his 2 years at UGA. I can say with confidence that the kid is special. I think his stock might actually drop at the combine. He's not particularly fast, but he's got those intangibles you can't coach. He has the best natural instincts of any RB I've seen at his age. He just seems to know which move to use in his arsenal at all times. If he goes to a good situation (Ari, Den, Cle) he could very well be a top 5 back next year.

I was lucky enough to draft Forte and CJohnson this year in a dynasty (I traded CJohnson around week 5 for essentially Andre Johnson). I was high on both of them based on situation more than any other reason. I believe that situation trumps ability, unless you're dealing with an absolute stud like AP or LT.

I hear what you're saying, but there's too many exceptions to make that a firm rule. Addai, Maroney, etc are good players in great situations and suck.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Maroney. The guy might very well be good, but he can't stay healthy. I don't think Bill will ever give him a full load because of that.

Addai has had a really bad year, but I think that too can be attributed to bumps and bruises. He was a top 5 back going into the year. DRhodes has allowed Indy the luxury of not pushing Addai. Rhodes is a UFA after this year (signed a one year deal with Indy). We'll see if he takes less to stay with the Colts. If he doesn't Addai could be a steal in next years draft. I guess what I'm saying is you need to give him a muligan for this year.