[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ebartender

Gads. I will probably stop contributing for a while if my company does that and focus on other savings.

That is what I was thinking. My wife's job now offers a $1 for $1 match up to 8% of her salary but it is a 403b which I am not familiar with. I'm going to me with an financial planner to sort everything out (on top of looking for a new job).

That is what I was thinking. My wife's job now offers a $1 for $1 match up to 8% of her salary but it is a 403b which I am not familiar with. I'm going to me with an financial planner to sort everything out (on top of looking for a new job).

A 403b is just a 401k for gov't employees/employees of companies that don't qualify for a 401k.

In my experience they tend to be a bit more generous, but that has nothing to do with anything.

My wife's company suspended their 401k match; it was only 50% up to 3% but I like all the free money I can get.

make sure you are vested before leaving

We are still getting our company match, but they are severely cutting back on the portion of medical that they cost and I just heard it is likely they are suspending any merit increases (raises) and revenue sharing (bonuses) for the forseeable future.

Unfortunately this means that due to the big jack up in my portion of medical, I am taking a fairly significant takehome paycut starting next year

• 1 month later...
I have mine set up on my My Yahoo homepage so I can watch the money go down the drain every day. :wacko:

That seems like torturing yourself. 36% loss on the year for me (20% in the last qtr). Hope everyone else did better.

Edited by myhousekey

That seems like torturing yourself. 36% loss on the year for me (20% in the last qtr). Hope everyone else did better.

I dumped the walmart stock after it had dropped some but not as much the market and stuck it into some crashed index funds.

A 403b is just a 401k for gov't employees/employees of companies that don't qualify for a 401k.

In my experience they tend to be a bit more generous, but that has nothing to do with anything.

My wife's company suspended their 401k match; it was only 50% up to 3% but I like all the free money I can get.

Actually, the 403(B ) is the employee plan for those working for non-for-profit entities....gov't, some hospitals, schools, and colleges...and too many other numerous organizations. However, if the company set aside any money for the employee this cannot be done in the 403(B )...it is done in a 401(a ).

403(B ) will allow you put away up to 20% of your income into it...defering income tax until withdrawal. However, if you work for a school district which allows you to buy into an early retirement....Illinois charges 2.2% of pay, then you can only put away 17.8% into your 403(B ).

Just an FYI

Edited by TheShiznit

403(B ) will allow you put away up to 20% of your income into it...defering income tax until withdrawal.

403B has the same hard cap limiting total dollar contribution as there is for a 401(k) - $16,500, not including catchups.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

IRA? Also, there are company tax-deferred plans available to some. I have one.

Be careful here....you cannot invest in an IRA if your company has a sponsored 401K. The IRS will ask for a letter from the employer citing that you do not qualify to participate in the 401K. I have run into this in the past.

Be careful here....you cannot invest in an IRA if your company has a sponsored 401K. The IRS will ask for a letter from the employer citing that you do not qualify to participate in the 401K. I have run into this in the past.

Agreed. I was pointing out that a 401k alternative does exist. The other type of plan I mentioned is actually deferred salary, not deferred tax, though the effect is really the same.

With an IRA, its after-tax money you are investing. Now you can claim those contributions on your tax return the following year, but you lose the calendar year of growth on the tax.

nope...you have till tax filing day of 2009 to get your pre-tax contribution in for 2008.