[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are you listening to these days?

The Irish Doggy

Seeing a kick-ass band in a bar with 20 people where you can see every chord the guitarist is playing is awesome.

Seeing a kick-ass band in an arena where you need binoculars to know if the original members are still in the band is mega-lame, no matter how kick-ass the band is.

I agree that the smaller venues can be cooler but...

I saw U2 in 84 (before Pride broke them wide open) at the 1200 seater. When they came back for the same tour, they were in the 20,000 seater and I saw them there as well. Still a good show.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing a kick-ass band in a bar with 20 people where you can see every chord the guitarist is playing is awesome.

Seeing a kick-ass band in an arena where you need binoculars to know if the original members are still in the band is mega-lame, no matter how kick-ass the band is.

Guess that makes more sense than how you first put it... but...

w-a-c-k

I grew up in Seattle, so a ton of unreal bands in small venues - alot of them before they hit it big.

NEVER once was I too cool to go check them out in a big arena.

Not as awesome, but if you dig the band you dig the band -

you remind me of some friends who's bands never made it that were all wannabe hipsters and got off the bandwagon once a band got popular

agree... and...

I agree that the smaller venues can be cooler but...

I saw U2 in 84 (before Pride broke them wide open) at the 1200 seater. When they came back for the same tour, they were in the 20,000 seater and I saw them there as well. Still a good show.

agree...

:wacko:

you remind me of some friends who's bands never made it that were all wannabe hipsters and got off the bandwagon once a band got popular

This is not a question about how cool or uncool I am. It's about being able to see and hear musicians making music, rather than staring at the guy in front of you's head while hearing the music pumped through a stadium sound system that makes it sound like crud.

Next time you go see Metallica in a 50,000 seat arena after Ticketmaster rapes you, have fun convincing yourself that it's a good show and you actually heard or saw anything worth the price you paid! :wacko:

ETA: And I may be a poser, but at least I don't use the term "wack". What are you, one of the Fat Boys?

Edited by SheikYerbuti

I agree with you here.

Seeing Dave Matthews in early 1994 in a packed bar in Providence was awesome.

Seeing Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds play an acoustic show at the West Point auditorium was very cool.

Seeing Dave Matthews play his latest studio tripe at the Pepsi Center would be so lame I would not consider it.

This is not a question about how cool or uncool I am. It's about being able to see and hear musicians making music, rather than staring at the guy in front of you's head while hearing the music pumped through a stadium sound system that makes it sound like crud.

Next time you go see Metallica in a 50,000 seat arena after Ticketmaster rapes you, have fun convincing yourself that it's a good show and you actually heard or saw anything worth the price you paid! :wacko:

ETA: And I may be a poser, but at least I don't use the term "wack". What are you, one of the Fat Boys?

well no chit a small venue is better- I had no idea.............that wasn't yer original point

The second time there were a few thousand people in the crowd, and I remember turning to the drummer of my band and saying "I don't think we can see them live again. They're not our band anymore. . .they're everyone's". And I didn't even buy Betty when it came out.

no the fat Boys, but I was in 3rd bass.

this debate reminds of Lagwagon's Know It All

Look at the world in disbelief

You used to follow - now you lead

College has enlightened you

And you are proud to be different

And like different bands - different types

You ain't nobody's fool

It's like certain bands remind you of someone you hated

'Cause they didn't wear the right clothing

And there's only one true fashion

And alot of the bands on the college charts are great bands

Until they get signed. Then you hate them

It's such bs- you used to love them you hypocrite

Know it all, know it all - did you really listen to that song?

Could you ever write what you call wrong?

I remember you and I listening to bands that we liked

Only the songs mattered to you

But now you're a D.J. and preaching that hype

"Corporate Rock Sucks"

"You know, college radio enlightens you"

It's supposed to serve as a means to expose new bands

Without prejudice, but it makes no sense

Safe harbor for the underground

'Til the alternative becomes the popular sound

The bands are good 'til they make enough cash

To eat food and get a pad

Then they're sold out and their music is cliché

Because talent's exclusive to bands without pay

Know it all, know it all - Did you really listen to that song?

Could you ever write what you call wrong?

Know it all

a Lagwagon reference???? outstanding work!!!!

right now, i'm listening to

by the Driveby Truckers...gives me chills every time i hear it.

:D I hate to go all Sheik on you :wacko: but Lagwagon got their start in Santa Barbara when I was at school there and I've been following them ever since. Great, fun band.

I dig the DBT's. I need to download more of their music.

:D

FWIW, I just didn't care for Betty. Wouldn't matter if I were catching Helmet live at the Double Wide or the American Airlines Center.

Now that's just wrong.

As for what I'm listening to RIGHT now, well, I'm ripping my classical stuff to my hard drive, to I've been kickin' it to a variety of awesomeness - Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, "The Great Gate at Kiev" from Mussorgsky, Prokifiev's Alexander Nevsky....good stuff.

I'm currently trying to figure out if Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is a masterwork or just an out of tune stoner dude with a guitar.

I still haven't decided after about 20 listenings.

Now that's just wrong.

I think the main problem with Betty is that (IMO anyway) it exposed Helmet as a bit of a one-trick pony. It's a fantastic trick, but it just seemed like more of what happened on Meantime. And Meantime was already a downgrade from Strap it On. Go ahead and flame me. . .

I think the main problem with Betty is that (IMO anyway) it exposed Helmet as a bit of a one-trick pony. It's a fantastic trick, but it just seemed like more of what happened on Meantime. And Meantime was already a downgrade from Strap it On. Go ahead and flame me. . .

That's just like, your opinion, man.

Funny, most people I know said Betty was different and regarded Aftertaste as a "return to form."

Maybe Helmet would've worn themselves out on me, but I like all 3 of their major-label releases, and I like Betty the best; within the framework of Helmet's core sound, I think it WAS a bit more experimental.

I'm currently trying to figure out if Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is a masterwork or just an out of tune stoner dude with a guitar.

I still haven't decided after about 20 listenings.

masterwork; one trick pony

Ghost and Holland are two of my favorite tunes. Ever.

Maybe Helmet would've worn themselves out on me, but I like all 3 of their major-label releases, and I like Betty the best; within the framework of Helmet's core sound, I think it WAS a bit more experimental.

It's been a few years. I'll give it another listen. I still say Strap it On is their best work, but I also think Ultramega OK is Soundgarden's best and Bleach is Nirvana's. . .confirming my pousour attitude that bands are only good before being engulfed by the major label hit machine.

masterwork; one trick pony

Ghost and Holland are two of my favorite tunes. Ever.

King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 and Two Headed Boy are my personal favorites.

But yes, part of the reason I like it is that it sounds like the songs me and my stoner buddy used to write in the back of biology class in 10th grade.

artist: Wumpscut | song: Wreath Of Barbs (Album Mix)

artist: Delerium | song: Lumenis

artist: Ulrich Schnauss | song: Suddenly The Trees Are Giving Away

artist: G-Spliff | song: I Know (Melancholic Outtake)

artist: Kaya Project | song: Walking Through

I will guarantee you all, how you imagine those bands to sound, you are wrong. I strongly recommend you listen to G-Spliff. They are very popular in my country.

King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1 and Two Headed Boy are my personal favorites.

But yes, part of the reason I like it is that it sounds like the songs me and my stoner buddy used to write in the back of biology class in 10th grade.

Two Headed Boy rules. Too bad NMH went into hiding about 10 years ago... :wacko:

artist: Wumpscut | song: Wreath Of Barbs (Album Mix)

artist: Delerium | song: Lumenis

artist: Ulrich Schnauss | song: Suddenly The Trees Are Giving Away

artist: G-Spliff | song: I Know (Melancholic Outtake)

artist: Kaya Project | song: Walking Through

I will guarantee you all, how you imagine those bands to sound, you are wrong. I strongly recommend you listen to G-Spliff. They are very popular in my country.

What country is that Balki?