[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

INSTANT MARLINS FAN

J.D.Morrison

No but we can blame the red sox manager for LOSING the game. The yankees didn't win crap. As soon as baseball gets a salary cap, the yankees go to the bottom. Right now, they will take home the AL pennant and lose to a team that has 1/4 of their payroll.

We don't even need to discuss the bullpen babies.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees deserve credit for great scouting/player development (Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Pettite) and coaching (Torre, Stottlemyre) but they wouldn't be the dynasty team that they are if not for King George's deep pockets and the lack of a salary cap.

I love baseball but am thoroughly disgusted with MLB's lack of balls during the negotiations of the new collective bargaining agreement last year. I would've prefered a lockout than the perpetuation of this horrible system where the gap between the haves and have-nots increases yearly. The owners are idiots for letting the players union hold them hostage for the past 10 years.

As for the Marlins, I'm grateful to them for keeping the hated Cubs out of the WS, but won't be heartbroken if they lose to the Yankees. I just can't seem to give a **** about MLB anymore. Thank God for football...

Wow...this topic has generated quite a bit of interest...never seems to fall far from the top of the forum. Its a safe bet to assume that this topic is but a small sample population representing a HUGE problem with the majority and the MLB. Maybe a petition should be started to change the way MLB is governed ??? Would the owners/players union listen??? Probably not because $$$ talks. That's why I am a big fan of attending Minor league ballgames - competetive and as pure as we can get in this day and age !!! Support your local Minors !! BTW, Clemens spent a year here in New Britain CT (AA) before he was corrupted ! cool_thu

Bill Swerski:

The Yankees deserve credit for great scouting/player development (Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Pettite) and coaching (Torre, Stottlemyre)

That's because they have the money to spend more than 3 times more on scouts than any other team in baseball. They have Yankee scouts watching games in countries that no other MLB team does.

sure you point out the fact that teams like the white sox, rangers, etc can't get there while spending as much money, but there's reason for that. The yanks steal all of the veterans who've been there, won it, or have experience and leadership. And every time a player hits the free agent market (cough GIAMBI) he knows right where to go, because i'd say 50% of that team ANY SEASON in the past 10 years has been to the world series. Pressure is still pressue, and if you have a bunch of young guys that've never been vs the people with experience and know what it takes, you will lose most of the time. Screw the Yankees wink

Rangers in 2004

T. Ham for president:

sure you point out the fact that teams like the white sox, rangers, etc can't get there while spending as much money, but there's reason for that. The yanks steal all of the veterans who've been there, won it, or have experience and leadership. And every time a player hits the free agent market (cough GIAMBI) he knows right where to go

Which is because the free agent vets know that the Yankees can spend their way into the WS every other year.

It's a terrible self-perpetuating system. **** the Yankees and Bud Selig.

thumbs_d

I would be cheering for the Marlins as well, if I were to watch the series, which won't happen. Maybe if it goes to game 6 or 7, but otherwise, I'd rather watch the Gameshow Network. Much more entertaining. Plus, at least there, you don't know who's going to win ahead of time. Nothing against the Yanks. I think Torre and Rivera have been awesome portrayal of consistency, and they are possibly the best manager and reliever, respectively, of all time. The rest of the team, however, can go fly a f-cking kite. As for those who say that Florida does not deserve a championship because of their poor fan support all year, doesn't that make it all the more a great story? Not that I'm overly excited about the Marlins, but as a somewhat neutral fan, I hope Pudge can win a championship. He deserves it far more than any of the Yankees. He's played on loser teams all of his career, and when he has a chance to compete, he has been the epitomy of an over-achiever.

Yankee haters are getting desperate. When all else fails, bring up the $ issue. Now that the other Big Money teams are out of the Championship series, Boston and Chicago, we have to come back to $. Face it, you can't win consistently without spending money but spending money does not guarantee winning, (Mets had a 100+ million payroll and were an embarrassment. Here is a little summary of my Thursday night experience:

Purchase of Babe Ruth to establish "The Curse $125,000

DirecTv Baseball package to watch my team $140

Bet with local bookmaker on ALCS $200

Game night food and beverage purchases $19.18

Coming back from a three run deficit with five outs to go against Pedro, once again proving The Curse lives on.........,

PRICELESS take_a_b

COWBOY F'ING DOWN!!!!

Bucky "Bleepin" Dent '78 = Aaron "Bleepin" Boone '03

It's funny how Yankee fans pin so much on the supposed Curse. Wouldn't you rather believe that your team is good? It's like you're saying you'd never have beaten the Sox all those years without it. Funny. thinking

The reason people hate the Yankees, I believe, is that Yankee fans are among the smuggest and least classy anywhere in sports. Witness the attitudes found here. Were they good sports about their ongoing successes, I'm sure more people would root for them and feel some connection to them. The sense of entitlement trickles down from crazy King George I guess.

Czarina:

It's funny how Yankee fans pin so much on the supposed Curse. Wouldn't you rather believe that your team is good? It's like you're saying you'd never have beaten the Sox all those years without it. Funny.    thinking    

The reason people hate the Yankees, I believe, is that Yankee fans are among the smuggest and least classy anywhere in sports. Witness the attitudes found here. Were they good sports about their ongoing successes, I'm sure more people would root for them and feel some connection to them. The sense of entitlement trickles down from crazy King George I guess.

Funny other than this year, I don't remember Boston being a hurdle to any recent World Series appearance's for the Yankees. The curse of the Bambino has nothing to do with the Yankees succes, only with the Blow Sox failure's. The curse has become an expectation of failure by BoSox which the team inevitably delivers jester I know Thursday's game 7 will carry over for a long time. I'm sure the stink of FAILURE is all over Yawkey Way. The weeping bawling Red Sox nation bawling will wonder how and why for a long time. If you feel your team is cursed, I'd suggest that in another 15 years, when you have another game 7 in the Bronx, remind the Fenway ground's crew to wait till the Sox win before they paint the World Series logo behind home plate. jester Instant karma is a mother f*cker, isn't it. BOSTON SUCKS! GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!!GO YANKS!GO YANKS!GO YANKS!

I don't understand many of you, but I guess thats why this is a football forum. I am from Philly, BTW.

I also think this is horrible timing. If they only arguemnt being made is what the Yankees stand for, then they exact same holds true with every teams in the final round. All spend in the FA market. Unlike the others, the foundation (not just anyone!) of the Yanks, Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Pettite, etc, all came from the minors. I know, I know, thats a problem too :D

You are BLAMING the Yankees for the system, and using it to their advantage :confused: Should they NOT go out and get a Boone if they need one? Which BTW was a down-grade. The Yankees have just made smart moves. IMO. There were many excellent players on which the Yankkes also passed. Not a great argument. They also got rid of their starting right fielder, Mondesi, because he wasn't committed. They risked the whole season on ethics. Doesn't sound like such a terrible team.

They have not scouted well in many places other teams have done well in, ex. Dom. Rep. They have spent a lot in the FA bidding war.

So they generate the most, and spend the most? Perfect. Until the model changes, I think that shows a complete dedication to winning, and the fans. God, I wish they would do the same here in Philly.

I actually like this Yankee team. I understand why some don't like the "Yankees". But this seems like a pretty good group of guys. Mostly. You gotta like the way the defend each other, and they chemistry is impressive. I think they have a lot of class. cool_thu applause flag

Any new arugments, or same ones since the 40's wall_bas sleep

Chief Dick:

Thanks to the Yankees for helping me by not having to watch postseason baseball again this year. Boring, boring, boring.

Actually, you can thank the Marlins for that one. While a Cubs vs. BoSox World Series would have been a dream matchup, a Yankees vs. Cubs World Series might have been even better.

...and if you think the playoffs have been boring thus far, what does it take for you to say it has been exciting? shrug This has probably been the best and most exciting postseason ever!

Italian Stallion:

Chief Dick:

Thanks to the Yankees for helping me by not having to watch postseason baseball again this year. Boring, boring, boring.

Actually, you can thank the Marlins for that one. While a Cubs vs. BoSox World Series would have been a dream matchup, a Yankees vs. Cubs World Series might have been even better.

...and if you think the playoffs have been boring thus far, what does it take for you to say it has been exciting? shrug This has probably been the best and most exciting postseason ever!

I Agree, it has been one of the most exciting postseasons in a long time. Both series going to the final 7th game. It was great.

Someone mentioned above, wouldn't yankee fans rather it been know that we won the series b/c we are a great team rather then the whole curse thing.

Here's what i have to say about that, We are the greatest team and yes WE HAVE CURSED THE RED SOX BY NOT ALLOWING THEM TO WIN!

MAN, all you yankee haters should become yankee fans, cause it has been so much fun to see our team go to the world series alot and win!

lighten up guys, maybe you'll win someday! LOL!

Touchdown:

Yankee haters are getting desperate.  When all else fails, bring up the $ issue. Now that the other Big Money teams are out of the Championship series, Boston and Chicago, we have to come back to $.  Face it, you can't win consistently without spending money but spending money does not guarantee winning

But you almost always need to spend big to win in MLB now. How many "small market" teams (outside of Anaheim last year) have won a WS in the past 10 years? How many "small market" teams have won the Stanley Cup in the past 10 years.

In sports where there is no salary cap, the big spenders are always in the best position to win. True, money does not GUARANTEE winning, but it provides a TREMENDOUS advantage. And, I would like to add, an UNFAIR advantage.

thumbs_d

Big Ernie McCracken

Funny other than this year, I don't remember Boston being a hurdle to any recent World Series appearance's for the Yankees. The curse of the Bambino has nothing to do with the Yankees succes, only with the Blow Sox failure's. The curse has become an expectation of failure by BoSox which the team inevitably delivers    jester    I know Thursday's game 7 will carry over for a long time. I'm sure the stink of FAILURE is all over Yawkey Way. The weeping     bawling     Red Sox nation    bawling    will wonder how and why for a long time. If you feel your team is cursed, I'd suggest that in another 15 years, when you have another game 7 in the Bronx, remind the Fenway ground's crew to wait till the Sox win before they paint the World Series logo behind home plate.    jester    Instant karma is a mother f*cker, isn't it. BOSTON SUCKS! GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!!GO YANKS!GO YANKS!GO YANKS! [/QB]

Thanks for proving my point. I knew I could count on you.

BTW, I don't think the Sox are cursed. I just hate Yankees fans. cool_thu

Sgt. Ryan:

And game 1 goes to the Marlins, who will in fact win the series.  You heard it here.

MARLINS IN 5

Bold prediction, but far from a crazy one. The Yanks have all the pressure in the world on them, while the Marlins very little because nobody expected them to be there in the first place.

Don't get too excited there Sarge. The Yankees seem to like to give their opponents a little confidence by letting them win game one (just like the Twins and BoSox) before they shut them down and win the series.
Ya ok the Yankees let their opponent win a game in the WS? That has to be one of the stupidest statements i've ever heard. Marlins are going to sting the Yankees in this series and win it all. Youth and speed over age in this one. As far as post season experience goes the Yankees have it by a wide margin something like 120 games to FLA's 20 games. Yet even more pressure for the Yankees to perform. GO MARLINS!!

fballfreak:

Don't get too excited there Sarge. The Yankees seem to like to give their opponents a little confidence by letting them win game one (just like the Twins and BoSox) before they shut them down and win the series.
Ya ok the Yankees let their opponent win a game in the WS? That has to be one of the stupidest statements i've ever heard. Marlins are going to sting the Yankees in this series and win it all. Youth and speed over age in this one. As far as post season experience goes the Yankees have it by a wide margin something like 120 games to FLA's 20 games. Yet even more pressure for the Yankees to perform. GO MARLINS!! A Marlins fan from Mass. jester Was there a huge bonfire at Yawkey Way bawling where everyone burnt thier Sox gear and got a new shiney Marlins cap? If the Marlins win :D will John Henry be contacting Jack McKeon jester The Red Sox Nation is striking out even though they officially began the off season early Friday morning at about 12:16am jester

A Marlins fan from Mass.  Was there a huge bonfire at Yawkey Way  where everyone burnt thier Sox gear and got a new shiney Marlins cap?  
No we all BBQ'd Grady Little in fact he's still getting BBQ'd and will be until he gets fired. I think the country is somewhat sick and tired of the Yankees. Even if the Sox beat the Yankees I would still be worried about the Marlins they are that good. To see a 50MIL team beat a 180MIL team for the World Championship would be sweet.