[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 Sleepers

Roy

Have we started this yet? Did not see it so far .... anyway, who do you see "going off" next season. In other words, they were not taken in the top 12 of their position or so this season (or maybe way down the list), and maybe are not even ending up that way so far this year - whether because of injury, coaching, rookie year, free agency, or other issue - but are going to hit it hot next season .... who do you see poised for a nice run next year.

Oh yeah, it is early, and everything changes but it is a little fun to think.

For example - Darren Sprouls, SD RB, has free agency coming up. Would he fit anywhere else where he would make a splash? I think he is too small, and no where near the next Turner, but what do you think (not just him, but it is an example of a player and a change that might really change his situation next year) ............

Have we started this yet? Did not see it so far .... anyway, who do you see "going off" next season. In other words, they were not taken in the top 12 of their position or so this season (or maybe way down the list), and maybe are not even ending up that way so far this year - whether because of injury, coaching, rookie year, free agency, or other issue - but are going to hit it hot next season .... who do you see poised for a nice run next year.

Oh yeah, it is early, and everything changes but it is a little fun to think.

For example - Darren Sprouls, SD RB, has free agency coming up. Would he fit anywhere else where he would make a splash? I think he is too small, and no where near the next Turner, but what do you think (not just him, but it is an example of a player and a change that might really change his situation next year) ............

First of all if you are a ff fanatic as I am, it is NEVER too early to speculate about next season. I get it though that things didnt work out so well for you this season, sorry to hear that. It was a weird year and a little more difficult than past seasons to predict. Anyway, I will stick to SLEEPERS only here.

Mike Williams on the jaguars showed star potential- was hurt most of the year.

D Branch FINALLY got healthy and performed- obviously lots of factors there but worth looking at.

Carlson the te in seattle, same caveats as Branch

S Hill, he is in Mike Martzs offense and they are playing well even now all things considered

V Jackson, yes he is still a sleeper. I have him this season and while he is good, he is still under the radar. If he and Rivers keep improving then he becomes a consistent and solid receiver on a pass heavy team.

I don't know how 3 good RB's are going to work in Dallas, but can we really ignore Tashard Choice? He ran all over Pittsburgh, New York and Baltimore in three consecutive weeks. Mind you, he was fresh, but still a rookie in his first 3 games, he played like a STUD against those top notch defenses. I'm very curious how Dallas will use all 3 RB's next year. Maybe they'll keep it the same. With all those injuries, I guess you can never have too many. Just ask Denver.

See mine:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=277555

First of all if you are a ff fanatic as I am, it is NEVER too early to speculate about next season. I get it though that things didnt work out so well for you this season, sorry to hear that. It was a weird year and a little more difficult than past seasons to predict. Anyway, I will stick to SLEEPERS only here.

Mike Williams on the jaguars showed star potential- was hurt most of the year.

D Branch FINALLY got healthy and performed- obviously lots of factors there but worth looking at.

Carlson the te in seattle, same caveats as Branch

S Hill, he is in Mike Martzs offense and they are playing well even now all things considered

V Jackson, yes he is still a sleeper. I have him this season and while he is good, he is still under the radar. If he and Rivers keep improving then he becomes a consistent and solid receiver on a pass heavy team.

- I believe it's Mike Walker... Williams was the bust from USC/Detroit Lions.

- Carlson is a stud... won't be a sleeper next year (probably top 5-7 TE in most leagues)

- Branch has always been injury-prone, but had his token couple of decent games this year. That's not going to change, in my opinion.

- Hill has been solid, but Martz is likely to leave SF. His ego is too big to be content as a OC. If he leaves, there's no telling what will happen to Hill or the Niners' offense. That said, Hill is still definitely somebody worth taking a shot on in the late rounds of most drafts, as a #2-3 QB.

- I agree with Jackson in the sense that I would take him in the middle rounds before I would take Chambers.

A few WR/TE's I might have my eye on next year, off the top of my head:

- Jordy Nelson GB - Has as good of a shot as any other GB WR (Jones, etc.) to eventually take playing time from an aging Donald Driver.

- James Hardy BUF - Was the top-rated rookie WR this year for a reason... Josh Reed won't hold on to the starting job forever.

- Devin Thomas WAS - Ditto (just insert A. Randle El)

- Steve Smith/Domenik Hixon - Should replace Burress/Toomer as the starters in NY next year. Hixon might not be a "sleeper" so much, but Smith will surprise, especially in PPR leagues.

- Jermichael Finley GB - Should be a matter of time before he takes over as premiere pass-catching TE in GB.

- Camarillo/Bess MIA - One of them will be the possession receiver... Guess which one, and you might get a PPR bargain.

- Jason Avant - Coming on strong the last few weeks... has as good of a shot as Brown/Curtis/Lewis to make an impact next year and compliment Jackson in Philly.

- Harry Douglass ATL - The Falcons are on the verge of becoming an annual contender in the NFC. Douglass has shown signs of being a legitimate playmaker for them, and could pair up with the bigger WR in Roddy White nicely for years to come.

- Malcolm Floyd - Another SD WR who has a fair amount of potential.

- Johnnie Lee Higgins OAK- The guy has quietly had himself somewhat of a breakout season. Second on the team in receiving yards with 314 on only 18 catches, he also leads the team with three receiving TD's and three return TD's. Too bad half of his touchdowns are on special teams.

- Pierre Garcon IND - If Harrison retires, he could replace Gonzalez as the #3 (slot) WR. A longshot, but definitely worth keeping an eye on in IND.

If I have time in the next few days, I'll try to add some thoughts on RB's. :wacko:

Good list. I particularly like HDouglas, Pierre Garcon, and MFloyd. From Miami, I like Camarillo and Bess, but Ted Ginn looks like he has a chance to have a stud breakout year, some one to keep an eye on.

- That Avery kid in St.Louis, if StL can get their act together.

- Chansi Stuckey, NYJ

Carnell Williams, RB, TB -- I know, sounds funny to call him a "sleeper", but I think he fell off most people's radar's. In the limited action I've seen of him as late, I think he'll win the starting job next year and keep it unless injured.

I think Ginn definitely should be the big-play guy. But, from a PPR perspective, Camarillo and/or Bess will be better (more of the possession type of WR's that will probably get more catches than Ginn). I thought of Avery and Stuckey as well... I guess I thought Avery was a little too obvious to be called a sleeper, and I forgot to list Stuckey (I think I meant to double-check the spelling of his first name, then forgot... turns out I had it correct in my mind anyway). :wacko: Good calls, though.

I also like the lists outlined up to this point. I will add two controversial, high risk/medium reward players to the list:

Michael Vick

Chris Henry

Some team will give Vick a shot if he can resolve his legal troubles. How good will he be two years removed - who knows...which is why I would only add him as my last roster spot in a dynasty spot for my kicker. Hey, in deep leagues, if pickens are super slim, why not take a shot?

Chris Henry - if he can stay out of jail/suspension lists - could end up the #2WR on the Bengals next year if Housh or Ocho Cinco leaves due to free agency. I don't see him as a 1,000 yd guy...but he could easily get 7-9TDs in that slot.

I look forward to reading other sleepers.

Michael Bush: If he's traded to Cleveland, Cincy, or Seattle I could see him getting some fat #'s

I have to think the Raiders put him on display for NFL teams to get a peek.

I could see them getting a 4th with performance escalators. It becomes a 3rd if he rushs for 800 yards or a team makes the playoffs...yada...yada..yada. I think he has the speed and size and for a big man he can wiggle in holes and then power his way through the 2nd level.

If I was Cincy or Cleveland I would most definatly be dialing the phone on draft day.

Some team will give Vick a shot if he can resolve his legal troubles. How good will he be two years removed - who knows...which is why I would only add him as my last roster spot in a dynasty spot for my kicker. Hey, in deep leagues, if pickens are super slim, why not take a shot?

Chris Henry - if he can stay out of jail/suspension lists - could end up the #2WR on the Bengals next year if Housh or Ocho Cinco leaves due to free agency. I don't see him as a 1,000 yd guy...but he could easily get 7-9TDs in that slot.

Why do you expect players who haven't suited up for multiple seasons to produce better than they ever have before?

Why do you expect players who haven't suited up for multiple seasons to produce better than they ever have before?

Please check my post again. As I said, I would only add Vick if all other options were gone and you would be stuck keeping your kicker.

Carnell Williams, RB, TB -- I know, sounds funny to call him a "sleeper", but I think he fell off most people's radar's. In the limited action I've seen of him as late, I think he'll win the starting job next year and keep it unless injured.

So you're the one that put the "whammy" on Cadillac.

If Boldin gets his wish and is traded by the Cardinals, look for Early Doucet to step up/in and make a big impact in that high octane passing attack! He's definitely worth a look in the mid to later round depending on the size of your league - ESPECIALLY if the Cards move Boldin.

If Boldin gets his wish and is traded by the Cardinals, look for Early Doucet to step up/in and make a big impact in that high octane passing attack! He's definitely worth a look in the mid to later round depending on the size of your league - ESPECIALLY if the Cards move Boldin.

Steve Breaston. He filled in nicely during Boldins injuries and put up over 1,000 yards. No way does he get skipped over for the starting gig... Although, I don't see Anquan getting traded.

Ronnie Brown - 2 years since inhury will be a beast in MIA in 2009.

Michael Bush is finally healthy. He showed what he can do when he finally got on the field.

Jody Nelson will see more time in Green Bay next season, but may still be a year away.

D Bess got his chance and will continue to produce.

P Hillis will get his shot in Denver under the new HC and put up good numbers.

L McClain will be #1 RB for ravens next season. May already be on everyones radar.

S Rice was injuried all season, so you may get good value on him.