[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help for next year's Fantasy Season

Bedoman

We are adding team defense for next season to out performance league format.

I am very curious about how you may have the points set up for team defense in league's you are currently in.

I want to have them be important but not be able to out score the top players on fantasy rosters - at least that is my goal

Any opinions would really help me out.

Thanks Huddler's for another fun season

I've played in some TD only leagues with very simplistic team defensive scoring rules, where 6 points is awarded for any defensive/special teams TD, along with plus points for the fewer points that defense allows in a game - such as:

0 = +6

2-6 = +4

7-10 = +3

11-17 = +2

18-24 = +1

>24 = 0

... I've also played in a league where the defense can score you minus points by allowing too many points to be scored against them in a game - for example, in the format described above, allowing more than 24 points could net you "minus 3" points (instead of zero) on the day for your defense. In more traditional performance scoring leagues, defense is often scored using some sort of "points allowed" scheme like the one above, but also adding points for positive defensive events, such as:

Interception, fumble recovery = +2

Blocked FG or punt = +2

Sack = +1

< 200 total net opponent yards allowed = +5

200-299 total net opponent yards allowed = +3

>299 total net opponent yards allowed = 0

... some scoring schemes also award plus points for net team punt & kickoff return yardage, and/or even turnover return yards - although that can sometimes get tricky/tough to set up on your league hosting site, and is often troublesome to track, and can lead to confusion or post-game scoring changes when (say) Elias-NFL stat service decides to change the "official" return yardage credited to a player 3 or 4 days after the NFL games are over and the game film has been reviewed ... this can happen with any offensive or defensive stat I guess, but seems to me that it happens more often with return yards and maybe sacks ... and I don't personally care to have to wait until 3 days after the NFL games are done before I can be sure that I have a win or a loss for my fantasy team totally secured.

Almost all "team defense" scoring schemes award +6 for any defense/special teams TD scored, although I have seen a few that award "super points" for defensive TDs (such as interception return or fumble recovery for a score) since they are fairly rare - for example, interception return TD may be worth 10 or 12 points ... I'm not sure that I like that, since it can sometimes really turn a fantasy game around - and since team defense performance is historically very hard to predict from season to season, it becomes a little luck oriented at times on draft day when it comes time to choose your defense ... many owners draft their D based on projected sacks, turnovers generated or that D having strong return men - just because those factors are at times maybe a little easier to predict than turnover TDs.

Individual Defensive Player (IDP) drafting has gained a fair amount of traction & popularity in recent years, in part because stats for this are more readily available than they ever were, and because league hosting sites such as MFL now can track those kind of statistics for you - not a luxury that we had in the old days, when the commish would manually calculate the FF scores for the week using Tuesday's "USA Today" or something, and send out the weekly league results via US Mail or fax ... but I digress, and IDP is not really even on the table for your league it seems - and is a totally different ballgame in any case.

You might also check out the "Hudle Perfect Fantasy Scoring System" article in the archives for some ideas:

http://www.thehuddle.com/classics/03phs.php

... bottom line is that you can set up your team defensive scoring rules to be as simple or as complex as you like, and/or can weight the defensive scoring to have as much or as little impact on your fantasy games as you like ... good luck.

Edited by ts

Here are our rules. No sacks or int. points basically the defense HAS to score to get points (except for keeping the other team under seven. You get some points but they don't overshadow the offensive guys.

Scoring for Defensive Categories

BFTD - Blocked Field Goal Touchdown (ID/ST/DST) 5 points

BPTD - Blocked Punt Touchdown (ID/ST/DST) 5 points

DFRTD - Defensive Fumble Recovery TD (ID/DT/DST) Plus 2 points for a DFRTD of 0 to 20 Yds

Plus 3 points for a DFRTD of 21 to 40 Yds

Plus 4 points for a DFRTD of 41 to 60 Yds

Plus 5 points for a DFRTD of 61 to 80 Yds

Plus 6 points for a DFRTD of 81 to 109 Yds

IntTD - Interception TD Plus 2 points for a IntTD of 1 to 20 Yds

Plus 3 points for a IntTD of 21 to 40 Yds

Plus 4 points for a IntTD of 41 to 60 Yds

Plus 5 points for a IntTD of 61 to 80 Yds

Plus 6 points for a IntTD of 81 to 109 Yds

KRTD - Kick Return TD (ID/ST/DST) 5 points

PA - Points Against, Total Points Scored 0 - 0 PAs = 7 points

1 - 6 PA = 4 points