[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What, no Presidential Address commentary?

i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has used that phrase on and off, but he's also said used "create jobs" quite a bit until recently. I think it's a bad sign that even the Obama administration isn't sure this stimulus will work.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "works" in this context is. It's too much of a complex situation for me to offer any substantive words of wisdom. If Obama was hard selling this as much as Bush did in selling Iraq, he would be getting further criticized for more partisan shenanigans. It's likely that the best and brightest econ minds in the world are advising Obama and warning that this might just be a band aid to clot the hemorrhaging. I think it's likely you are criticizing him for not displaying enough false hope.

Oh I get it, you're pissed because he is not giving direct answers to questions he has not been asked. :D

Yeah, that's realistic, mister open-minded. :wacko:

I do hope you're joking. I expect my management to speak openly and honestly. Having gone through several administrations where this was not the case, I had truly hoped for change. I was very disappointed in both the questions and the answers.

It was quite a moment at the end of President Obama's town hall meeting in Fort Myers, Fla., yesterday. As The News-Press writes, 19-year-old Julio Osegueda "rocketed from a Cape Coral teenager who flips burgers for $7.85 an hour at a McDonald's to an instant celebrity of sorts."

And he got a temporary job.

For those who didn't see what happened at the town hall when Osegueda asked the president about when he and other low-wage workers might be able to get job benefits, here's the video:

"I have never felt this good except maybe when I got my Playstation3 for Christmas," Osegueda told the News-Press later.

The Dude has a PS3, but wants us to pick up his tab.

:wacko:

People can point their fingers wherever they want, but I place the blame of our current ecomonic situation firmly on America's materialism.

I know way too many young people that truly believe a PS3 or a 360 are more important than insurance or savings. Unfortunately, I know just as many halfway successful, middle-aged professionals that believe they need a house worth 4 to 5 times their annual salary because so and so got one.

He took questions from people that didn't vote for him. Bush didn't have the courage for that.

Yeah, zero is sooo brave. :wacko:

The President was running down a list of reporters preselected to ask questions. The White House had decided in advance who would be allowed to question the President and who was left out.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123431418276770899.html

The entire text of the article:

About half-way through President Obama's press conference Monday night, he had an unscripted question of his own. "All, Chuck Todd," the President said, referring to NBC's White House correspondent. "Where's Chuck?" He had the same strange question about Fox News's Major Garrett: "Where's Major?"

The problem wasn't the lighting in the East Room. The President was running down a list of reporters preselected to ask questions. The White House had decided in advance who would be allowed to question the President and who was left out.

Presidents are free to conduct press conferences however they like, but the decision to preselect questioners is an odd one, especially for a White House famously pledged to openness. We doubt that President Bush, who was notorious for being parsimonious with follow-ups, would have gotten away with prescreening his interlocutors. Mr. Obama can more than handle his own, so our guess is that this is an attempt to discipline reporters who aren't White House favorites.

Few accounts of Monday night's event even mentioned the curious fact that the White House had picked its speakers in advance. We hope that omission wasn't out of fear of being left off the list the next time.

This article sounds like serious sour grapes from someone (wsj) left off the list. :D

However, note that Faux WAS called.

Edited by cre8tiff

Shh! People might realize that we don't need this bill, and then Obama and company want get the expansion in government they are looking for. The biggest problem we have right now is consumer confidence, and telling people how awful it is every time you turn around can't be helping.

Expansion in government. Look...I like Reagan a lot...but he had his shortcomings....he expanded government more so than any other president that preceeded him. Now, Bush 43...I voted for him in 2000....and yes...he expanded government even more so than Reagan did. So, if you want to criticize Obama...do so on the merit of his arguments for and against something....but please quit the mantra that liberals and democrats are evil government expanders....that is a ridiculous notion. google search the two Santa Clauses and you will see what I mean.

Expansion in government. Look...I like Reagan a lot...but he had his shortcomings....he expanded government more so than any other president that preceeded him. Now, Bush 43...I voted for him in 2000....and yes...he expanded government even more so than Reagan did. So, if you want to criticize Obama...do so on the merit of his arguments for and against something....but please quit the mantra that liberals and democrats are evil government expanders....that is a ridiculous notion. google search the two Santa Clauses and you will see what I mean.

One of my biggest problems with shrub was the expansion of government that occurred under him. If you go back and look you will see that I complained about that a lot. All you have to do is look at the provisions of the economic stimulus package, and you can see that it is a hugh expansion of government.

This is exactly why I have thrown in the towel on both the R's and the D's.

One of my biggest problems with shrub was the expansion of government that occurred under him. If you go back and look you will see that I complained about that a lot. All you have to do is look at the provisions of the economic stimulus package, and you can see that it is a hugh expansion of government.

Reagan also expanded government in the end. In fact, the monumental increase in the overal debt really got under way due to his deficit spending.

I know you love revisionist history (q.v. Lincoln et al) so you won't mind me mentioning that your god Reagan had much to do with starting the slide we're in right now.

I'm not explaining it to you again. I've done so three times and you are either too stupid or too obtuse (meaning you're basically covering your eyes and going la-la-la, in case you are too stupid) to get it.

It's easy to pick up the intellectual crumbs on conversation and try to dumb it down. It's even easier to claim some guy who can never get elected as president would have done a bang up job. For all the 99.99999 percent of hot air I've seen, I've seen 0.000001% of reason why some wacked out dude should become president.

I am certainly not trying to say that you never criticized Bush for his major government expansions....All I am saying is that the two most prominent Republican Presidents in my lifetime....Reagan....and then Bush43 expnaded government and deficits more so than all the other four Presidents in my lifetime....1973. So, considering that they claim to be small government conservatives...they were not. They played the game of two santa clauses....that is all. I get sick of the mockery the republican party makes of themselves when they accuse the dems of being big government big spenders...when they made government the largest and spent the most....and I claim republican as my party. While I don't think you like big government.....I am betting you can see my frustration when conservatives try to demonize dems as big .gov and big spenders when they should be looking in the mirror.

This is exactly why I have thrown in the towel on both the R's and the D's.

Quite possibly my next move unless republicans can get their act together. It was very hard for me to vote for Obama this past election...but my alternative was fiscal suicide at the hands of the leader of the Geriatric Lobby.

Quite possibly my next move unless republicans can get their act together. It was very hard for me to vote for Obama this past election...but my alternative was fiscal suicide at the hands of the leader of the Geriatric Lobby.

The bad news is, you're still gonna die of fiscal suicide - just an overdose instead of a gun.