[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that taking Ayers was a bad pick cause I certainly don't know and who really does? However, if you wanted a DE for the Bucs, why pass on higher rated guys, especially Aaron Maybin or Paul Kruger? Both projected to go in the 1st (Maybin) or 2nd (Kruger) round. Then again I see that Mayock has Ayers as the #1 DE. Maybin is the best pash rusher of the 3 but is light and is not good at defending the run. Ayers (projected 2nd-3rd round) seems like the better all around DE, although he lacks explosive upfield speed, and maybe that's why he deserved to be the choice. But then again Kruger is pretty well rounded and had a higher grade in some eyes. Both Ayers and Maybin were 1-year starters, lack maturity, can be undisciplined and can disappear at times on the field. Again not saying it was a bad pick, just wondering about the thought process on your part or the Bucs' fan who talked with you.

I considered Maybin too. Maybin to me seems more a 3-4 OLB pass rusher. Both he and Kruger are even lighter than Ayers.

The Bucs fan suggested a DT or DE and with Jerry and Raji gone chose Ayers. I considered an OLB too.

This was an absolutely nerve-wreckng decision to make--there were three guys I had no expectations of beng here for me, who were here for me. Oher I have been championing for the Lions since this time last year (when it was thought he might still come out) . . . yet here he is, all the way down to 1.20. While it's true he didn't have the stunning combines that Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe had, he still looked quite good. His thick lower body, planted stance, and dominant run-blocking make me think he's actually the perfect tackle prospect for the Lions to draft. II think Oher's size and frame would actually make him perfect to step in the Lions' LG spot and start right away; then be groomed to take over the tackle spot in a couple of years as his footwook matures. Schwartz has said he wants to get bigger on the lines first, and Oher brings the size, the strength, and the mean the Lions have lacked next to Backus since . . . well, ever.

It absolutely killed me to pass on a couple of these other guys, but hey, maybe one will keep improbably sliding all the way to my next pick!

Peace

policy

curious, would you have traded up to 11 for Stafford? Giving up the the 1.20 and 2.1 for 1.11 and 7.11

This was an absolutely nerve-wreckng decision to make--there were three guys I had no expectations of beng here for me, who were here for me. Oher I have been championing for the Lions since this time last year (when it was thought he might still come out) . . . yet here he is, all the way down to 1.20. While it's true he didn't have the stunning combines that Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe had, he still looked quite good. His thick lower body, planted stance, and dominant run-blocking make me think he's actually the perfect tackle prospect for the Lions to draft. II think Oher's size and frame would actually make him perfect to step in the Lions' LG spot and start right away; then be groomed to take over the tackle spot in a couple of years as his footwook matures. Schwartz has said he wants to get bigger on the lines first, and Oher brings the size, the strength, and the mean the Lions have lacked next to Backus since . . . well, ever.

It absolutely killed me to pass on a couple of these other guys, but hey, maybe one will keep improbably sliding all the way to my next pick!

Peace

policy

In my personal opinion I think Oher has the potential to be the most successful of the offensive lineman in this draft as far as overall careers go. Love the pick here for the Lions. :wacko:

I will also say this... If Stafford starts slipping past 5,6,7, etc., there definitely would be a team trading up to snatch him.
No there won't, because no one will be willing to pay the price. esp since Stafford isn't all THAT amazing.

Sanchez here in real life would be the steal of the draft. If he stays in school, he competes for the #1 overall selection next year.

Hardly. I wouldn't draft a 1-year wonder at QB w/my first pick ever.

curious, would you have traded up to 11 for Stafford? Giving up the the 1.20 and 2.1 for 1.11 and 7.11

I wouldn't, no. I am not at all sold on Stafford; he reminds me very very much of Joey Harrington. Multiyear starters at traditional powers of major conferences, with a lot of talent around them. Both had Heisman and National Championshp hopes in their last year, neither cashed in. Both have NFL bodies (height/frame) and NFL arms. Both can make all the throws. Both put up nice--but not amazing--stats over their careers. Both mostly beat up weaker competition, and both lacked any kind of signature clutch performance on their extensive resume. All the "highlight" compilations I've seen of Stafford are a mix of shredding Central Michigan, screen passes to Moreno, 20-yard completions against Alabama's third-string prevent defense, etc. He can drop it in a bucket from 50 yards, hash mark to far sideline, but he throws swing passes just as hard. No touch whatsoever on screens, fades, etc., etc., etc., etc. . . .

Let me put it this way: if I had my pick of all the QBs in this draft, Stafford wouldn't be my choice. At the salaries we are talking about in the high first, there's zero chance I make that committment.

Peace

policy

Just trying to catch attention of other partiot fans. I assumed everyone would read big bold words.

I know but sentences of capitals are hard to read and some people don't read them past the first line. Bold is better I think, both is overkill in my opinion.

Fitz will surely write his own synopsis of our pick, and though there were some great names to choose from that would have filled some holes and provided depth, we both felt there was one player we couldn't let slip by: Brandon Pettigrew. A franchise TE who is a devastating run-blocker as well as a great pass catcher, who will immediately fill the tiny shoes of the recently-departed, underachieving LJ Smith. Had Oher slipped to us, we might have had a big decision on our hands, as we both felt Oher could be the anchor to the line for the next decade. However, Reid firmly beleives Shaun Andrews will aptly fill the LT position (he was drafted for this purpose), and the one position of need we couldn't let pass was TE.

With the #28 pick still on deck for our Eagles, we have a stable of selections we would be happy to take at that spot. And while there were some other options we weighed heavily at #21, we just couldn't let risk Pettigrew not being there at #28.

Outshined has been PM'd and has signed on and is checking things out. He is currently on the clock to make the selection for the Vikings.

Outshined has been PM'd and has signed on and is checking things out. He is currently on the clock to make the selection for the Vikings.

Vikings will be late getting their pick to the podium and the pick will pass to the next team up :wacko:

Vikings will be late getting their pick to the podium and the pick will pass to the next team up :wacko:

:D In that case, the Patriots and Patsfan should get their card ready.

Vikings selection:

I really don't know what they are going to do. Spielman has has always preched and drafted BPA...I was torn between Josh Freeman and Eben Britton. I don't know if they would pick Josh Freeman if he was available at that spot. I think they will address the right side of the o line through the draft at some point on the 1st day.

No there won't, because no one will be willing to pay the price. esp since Stafford isn't all THAT amazing.

Hardly. I wouldn't draft a 1-year wonder at QB w/my first pick ever.

Dude, I understand your anxiety in drafting a QB early being a Lions fan... But the reality is that these teams go through tons of effort to scout these guys. I also don't think that this QB class is as good as we've seen in other recent years. But at the same time, there are teams with a HUGH need at QB, and Stafford and Sanchez are the best of the bunch. Not every team has the luxury of simply draftng the best available player. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Lions took Stafford for the simple idea of redefining the face of the franchise. Certainly not a safe pick, but fills a need and sells more spamshirts than an OL would at #1 (unfortunately, the Fords are $$$ first, winning second kind of owners).

Patsfan39 is now on the clock selecting for the Patriots.

Fitz will surely write his own synopsis of our pick, and though there were some great names to choose from that would have filled some holes and provided depth, we both felt there was one player we couldn't let slip by: Brandon Pettigrew. A franchise TE who is a devastating run-blocker as well as a great pass catcher, who will immediately fill the tiny shoes of the recently-departed, underachieving LJ Smith. Had Oher slipped to us, we might have had a big decision on our hands, as we both felt Oher could be the anchor to the line for the next decade. However, Reid firmly beleives Shaun Andrews will aptly fill the LT position (he was drafted for this purpose), and the one position of need we couldn't let pass was TE.

With the #28 pick still on deck for our Eagles, we have a stable of selections we would be happy to take at that spot. And while there were some other options we weighed heavily at #21, we just couldn't let risk Pettigrew not being there at #28.

great pick here, fellas...

I hope this pick comes to fruition on draft day.....

Dude, I understand your anxiety in drafting a QB early being a Lions fan... But the reality is that these teams go through tons of effort to scout these guys. I also don't think that this QB class is as good as we've seen in other recent years. But at the same time, there are teams with a HUGH need at QB, and Stafford and Sanchez are the best of the bunch. Not every team has the luxury of simply draftng the best available player. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Lions took Stafford for the simple idea of redefining the face of the franchise. Certainly not a safe pick, but fills a need and sells more spamshirts than an OL would at #1 (unfortunately, the Fords are $$$ first, winning second kind of owners).

I'm not so sure winning even gets ranked at #2. It's probably top ten though for sure. Right?

great pick here, fellas...

I hope this pick comes to fruition on draft day.....

There are several good TE prospects this year. I'm not saying this is a bad pick, I like th idea of McNabb throwing to a real TE, but I thought he went a tad early.

There is the son of a great Packer TE this year too that probably won't go in the first 2 rounds bt I wouldn't mind Ted Thompson taking him as an TE/H back.

Edited by Randall

There are several good TE prospects this year. I'm not saying this is a bad pick, I like th idea of McNabb throwing to a real TE, but I thought he went a tad early.

There is the son of a great Packer TE this year too that probably won't go in the first 2 rounds bt I wouldn't mind Ted Thompson taking him as an TE/H back.

We weren't lookin for a good prospect. We wanted a no-brainer, franchise TE...Pettigrew is the only one close to fitting that description. He is a beast. Had Oher slipped one more spot to us, we'd have had a very tough decision. In our minds, there are a few other positon players that have a good chance at being nice players, and we'll grab one of them at #28.

FWIW....had we been allowed to trade, we may have packaged our #21 & perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder, moved up 3-5 spots, and taken Oher...then traded our #28 and perhaps a pick next year to whoever we felt might take Pettigrew ahead of us.

But we definitely wanted to come away from this draft with him, and we got him...if it was 3-4 spots higher than he should have gone, than so be it, but only because we couldn't maneuver.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

We weren't lookin for a good prospect. We wanted a no-brainer, franchise TE...Pettigrew is the only one close to fitting that description. He is a beast. Had Oher slipped one more spot to us, we'd have had a very tough decision.

In our minds, there are a few other positon players that have a good chance at being nice players, and we'll grab one of them at #28. Had Oher slipped to us, we'd have had a very tough decision.

FWIW....had we been allowed to trade, we may have packaged our #21 & perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder, moved up 3-5 spots, and taken Oher...then traded our #28 and perhaps a pick next year to whoever we felt might take Pettigrew ahead of us.

But we definitely wanted to come away from this draft with him, and we got him...if it was 3-4 spots higher than he should have gone, than so be it, but only because we couldn't maneuver.

That's true. He does seem to be the most NFL ready right now. Like I said I'd like to see him partner with McNabb.

Can't say but I have heard he's just an avg receiver. Not a bad pick for them to make though. Hell a TE who can just stay on the field would be a big change, Smith was one of the msot overrated TEs around for years.

KillerFalcons is now on the clock selecting for the Falcons.