[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HEY!! What .......

Hugh B Tool

the frock happened to the "Boys Of Summer" thread? :confused: coach

It was good and then I hear our league is full and there are some type of fireworks going on in the forum and then when I get here Troj has deleted rather than locked the tread :D typical USC grad wink :P

Anyway now my afternoon won't be complete without some sort of skinny as to what went down head_ban Sarge and Troj have a cage match again? wink I happen to like both of you guys and know for the most part Sarge just relishes in stirring the pot so to speak. Especially when the soup starts a boilin' big_shoc

LegFuJohnson:

Don't know.  Lost me when he didn't respond about the errors category.

The errors cat. is used in another league I'm in and it works nicely. I wanted to emphasize total team play and balance which is why I included errors and holds as cats. With 16 teams and rosters filled by 336 players, there will be few free agents out there who will be impact players so having these cats. will expand the pool of possible impact FAs.

LegFuJohnson:

OK, I see.  So, an injured player, or bench warmer, can become an impact FA player, since he'll make no errors.  Just checking, if its worked well for you, that's fine, I've just never played with that as a category, and was wondering.

Nope..b/c errors are only 1/6th of the cats on the fielder side. If you load up on guys who aren't playing you'll lose 5 of 6 offensive cats. It just makes guys like Soriano a little less attractive and guys who both hit well and get gold gloves more attractive.

LegFuJohnson:

Fair enough, you just mentioned that the extra categories make for more impact free agents, that's all.

Well, when you get to player #337 there's not much to choose from so you might think about guys who can fill the end of your bench who are great middle infielders with the glove and who can contribute in the SB and/or BA cats. You could plug those guys in if the E cat. is close on any given week. The category is definitely not going to be a main emphasis but it's a small part of what makes up the best teams. It's only 1/12 of the total cats.

Likewise, the holds category expands the field of viable pitchers quite a bit. It's hard to get decent pitching in a 16 team league so adding that cat. really expands the field of FAs, plus it makes for more realistic and balanced staffs. I tried to provide as much as possible in terms of roster flexibility and balance. If guys don't draft a stud starter, they can still kick butt in 4 of the 6 pitching cats. Likewise for those who don't get a top closer.

Actually, I'm just fooling around. I've never played H2H baseball, not sure if its a good idea, but I guess I'd never know until I played. It just seems that you can... for example, use all your picks on pitchers, then Ichiro, Juan Pierre, Scott Posednik, and bench warmers (maybe one other high BA/SB guy). If you did this right, you might win all the pitching categories (or at least 5 of 6)... then win Batting Average, Errors, and maybe SB once in awhile, so you go anywhere from 7-5 to 9-4 each week. I don't think H2H rewards balanced teams. You can give up a category or two or three. Roto style, then you need balance... you don't get the weekly trash talk, of course.

Of course, the H2H vs Roto debate wasn't the point of this thread, but people do tend to digress.

haven't played using errors (at least don't remember doing so). i'll go with the flow, but get the feeling that errors will find their way to players that have greater range...still almost get to the ball, but can't quite make the play.

wondering if you'd want to go with obp or ops instead of average? i just like them both a lot better.

Bier Meister:

haven't played using errors (at least don't remember doing so).  i'll go with the flow, but get the feeling that errors will find their way to players that have greater range...still almost get to the ball, but can't quite make the play.

wondering if you'd want to go with obp or ops instead of average?  i just like them both a lot better.

We should take this debate to the league site since a good amount of the peeps aren't huddlers- like maybe 35-40%. I'm open to suggestion. One thing we could do is switch to fielding percentage.

Originally posted by LegFuJohnson:

Of course, the H2H vs Roto debate wasn't the point of this thread, but people do tend to digress.

Love the H2H format.... especially for a free league. You need some lady luck as well as skill to win.Those in the puddle hockey league know what I mean, it's very competitive..... quality squads top to bottom..... anything can happen on any given week. With 16 squads here.... I hope we get the same results. thumbs_u