[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Outrage over Busty manequin selling BBQ

The Irish Doggy

:wacko:

READING - BarBe Q can stay. But the fair-haired mannequin must cover her plastic endowments when she stands on the sidewalk outside KT's Barbecue.

Advertisement

That's the unanimous decision reached Wednesday night by Reading's five-man Design Review Board.

The decision left Kenny Tessel, owner of BarBe and the barbecue joint, fuming about "being told what she can and can't wear." He vowed to appeal the decision to the city's Board of Zoning Appeals.

BarBe just stood there, speechless, inside Reading's municipal building. A loose-fitting sleeveless gray T-shirt covered her usual outfit, a bikini top and a pair of Daisy Duke short-shorts.

"I put that gray top on her," Tessel said, "out of respect for her being in City Hall"

The 80-minute hearing included testimony from Tessel about how his business was down 40 percent from last year. So, to remain open and attract new customers, he stuck BarBe on the sidewalk, dressed her "tastefully" and discovered "sex sells."

Since she hit the street, his business is up 40 percent.

"Yeah, she's got big boobs," he told the board. "That's why I bought her."

Six residents testified at the hearing. Four in favor. Two against.

The quartet told the board that they come to KT's for the tasty barbecue, not the saucy BarBe Q. They felt that the publicity over BarBe's run-in with Reading's zoning laws amounted to a tempest in a barbecue pit.

(2 of 2)

Chris Broerman - half of the opposition speakers - believes BarBe is the pits. He lives next to the restaurant. He's been there since 1982. The restaurant opened four years ago.

"He's gone too far with this," Broerman said. He pointed to BarBe. The mannequin, he said, attracts "people who are looking for sex."

And customers parking illegally.

Advertisement

"People are always blocking my driveway," Broerman said.

The all-volunteer board deliberated in private for 42 minutes. When the five men emerged, their decision noted that BarBe can stay if she meets several conditions.

One condition: She must dress more modestly. Her clothing must be "appropriately sized" so "nothing can be seen from the side," said Bob Boehner, Reading's safety service director.

He added that since Tessel "showed respect" by putting a T-shirt over BarBe's bikini top when she entered City Hall, he might show the same concern for Reading's residents when she's on the sidewalk.

Boehner chaired the meeting and spoke for the board. The five members were almost as quiet as BarBe. They asked no questions and made no comments.

Boehner noted that the board spent most of its 42-minute deliberation "talking about community norms."

He observed that BarBe and her bikini top "would not be allowed into our city pool."

After the decision was announced, Tessel insisted that BarBe "should be allowed to wear what she wants."

BarBe stood next to him. She failed to express a preference for her attire.

"She's not going to wear a bikini top in the winter," Tessel added. "She's going to bundle up in a thermal shirt. Or a parka."

Maybe those winter duds will pass the dress code for Reading's pool.

her usual outfit, a bikini top and a pair of Daisy Duke short-shorts.
Boehner noted that the board spent most of its 42-minute deliberation "talking about community norms." He observed that BarBe and her bikini top "would not be allowed into our city pool."

Note to self: Don't move to Reading, OH.

Note to self: Don't move to Reading, OH.

People are starting to realize why we wanted to leave 200 years ago. If you can't have sex with a mannequin, then this ain't the America I want to live in. They don't talk back, they don't have a gag reflex, and with a bunch of strings and pulleys, they can still get you a beer afterwards.

Over the past 6-7 years I have noticed they now give mannequins J-Lo asses. I am in the garment center so I see tons of them everyday. :strangedivingboard: :wacko:

Edited by whomper

What city/town these days has the budget for a "five man Design Review Board"?? :wacko:

One that spends too much on superfluous bs.

Edit: wait, that describes nearly every govt agency. :D

Edited by rajncajn