[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you could have one of these players

Which player would you want on your team?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you want on your team?

• Adrian Peterson (RB)
    • Steven Jackson (RB)
    • Matt Forte (RB)
    • Michael Turner (RB)
    • Larry Fitzgerald (WR)
    • Calvin Johnson (WR)
    • Tom Brady (QB)
    • Peyton Manning (QB)
    • Matt Ryan (QB)
    • Other

Basic info for said question:

1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def

Scoring:

4pts Passing TD

6pts rush/rec TD

1pt=10 yrds rec/rush

1pt=25 yards passing

.5pt per catch

And go ahead and assume this would be a reliable league that you would be in for a number of years. Who do you pick and why?

Edited by bigbadwolf

For real? I think there is 1 clear answer, not even debateable imo. The Purple Jesus. I really don't think there's a distant second.

+1

A more interesting question would be to force rank those players from 1-10, but yeah if you are just looking for one guy, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone willing to bet against Adrian Peterson at this point.

WD

+ a lot and I don't even think it is that close.

I suspected ADP would get all the love, but just an interesting observation, last year in my league (uses scoring system I mentioned above), ADP was only the 14th highest scoring player.

Top 15 players in order w/ season points:

Brees, Drew NOS QB 291

William, DeAngelo CAR 278

Rivers, Philip SDC QB 273

Cutler, Jay DEN QB 272

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB 266

Warner, Kurt ARI QB 260

Forte, Matt CHI RB ® 257

Turner, Michael ATL RB 253

Manning, Peyton IND QB 250

Jones, Thomas NYJ RB 249.5

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 242.5

Cassel, Matt NEP QB 242

Westbrook, Brian PHI RB 240

Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 239.5

Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB 234.5

The argument against taking a RB would be durability concerns and a short window of time of being a stud. They do not on average last as long as a QB or WR. Six years from now who do you think will be putting up better number, ADP or Larry Fitzgerald? How about eight years from now. Would there be an advantage to locking up that once a decade QB or WR knowing you don't have to worry about that position for many many years?

The disparity between the individual positions is the key formula here. In other words, the difference between the #1, #5, and #10 at each position should be taken into consideration. In other words, if you get the #10 QB, how much of a difference is there between #1 and #10 at that position compared to the RB position. Starting RB's not in a RBBC are always at a premium, especially a young one the likes of which we haven't seen since LT came into the league. DeAngelo won't sniff last years numbers, Forte is unproven, and Westbrook is older and has durability concerns.

Hugh has the answer, IMHO.

There are 7 QBs on your list. In theory over 1/2 the teams will have a Top 15 scorer at that position. There was only 1 WR in your top 15 and you only start two anyways. That means you really aren't penalized for not having the 1 WR on the list. Then there are 7 RBs on your list. 24 are started each week. Your scoring last year is a perfect example of the idea that RB is the key position to consider when drafting.

6-8-10 years is a long time. Probably won't want anyone on that list that far down the road. 4 years from now I would not want Manning or Brady. I would not want Jackson or Turner. I would not want anyone relying on Matthew Stafford to gett them the ball (and I hope I'm wrong, I always hope for the local boy to do well).

That leaves Peterson, Forte or Matt Ryan.

Personally, I take Peterson.

Good luck.

Edited by Clubfoothead

ADP would probably be the concensus choice but I certainly wouldn't say that he's far and above Matt Forte. At this point, Chester Taylor is getting a bunch of looks in the Vikings' offense, whereas Forte is practically the sole option for the Bears. Will things change with Cutler now in town? Maybe or maybe Forte will just continue being the focal point. However, it really didn't affect ADP much as he still got 364 carries last year to Forte's 315. However, where Forte makes up some solid value is with receptions. Chester Taylor is much more involved than ADP in the passing game as Taylor caught 45 passes last season to ADP's 21 (and only 19 receptions in '07) while Forte caught 64 balls. Both Forte and ADP played all 16 games and in a 1 PPR league, Forte outscored ADP by about 2.5 points per game with 307 points on the season to ADP's 270. In a .5 PPR league like this one, Forte still outscored ADP 275 points to 260 points on the year or about 1 point per game. Forte also scored more TDs than did ADP crossing the stripe 12 times to ADP's 10 scores (ADP had 13 TDs in '07). Chester Taylor took some action here as well stealing away scores from ADP as he scored 7 times himself.

So in conclusion, yeah I'd probably select ADP to start a keeper or dynasty league with but I think Matt Forte is a very close 2nd and could very well be #1 as he ranked higher than Peterson last season.

ETA: I'm the Forte vote as I'll take the receptions that he'll more than likely keep putting up in a PPR league.

Edited by irish

And they can't even try a 6 pt passing TD argument with this one.

Perhaps an argument can be made that the 4pt TD approach actually increases the value of the QB by bringing them into equality with the RB in points per TD, while the QB accounts for more TDs? :wacko:

:D

So in conclusion, yeah I'd probably select ADP to start a keeper or dynasty league with but I think Matt Forte is a very close 2nd and could very well be #1 as he ranked higher than Peterson last season.

ETA: I'm the Forte vote as I'll take the receptions that he'll more than likely keep putting up in a PPR league.

I agree with everything you said here. And I'm the second Forte vote...

It makes me sad that in my opinion, the two best runningbacks are my homer teams sworn enemies. :wacko:

Starting RB's not in a RBBC are always at a premium, especially a young one the likes of which we haven't seen since LT came into the league. DeAngelo won't sniff last years numbers, Forte is unproven, and Westbrook is older and has durability concerns.

I am certainly in agreement on your opinion that it's Peterson - age, ability, and durability have been shown to all be aces in his case.

I just want to quibble about Forte - IMO Forte IS proven - and he's a solid and versatile back. But he just isn't anywhere NEAR the game-changer Peterson is, so never mind what he's proven.

I am certainly in agreement on your opinion that it's Peterson - age, ability, and durability have been shown to all be aces in his case.

I just want to quibble about Forte - IMO Forte IS proven - and he's a solid and versatile back. But he just isn't anywhere NEAR the game-changer Peterson is, so never mind what he's proven.

I just think that a lot of players do not come close to repeating after having a stellar rookie season, therein lies my "unproven" comment. Peterson did, and if Forte has another stellar season this year I will gladly remove my self-imposed "unproven" tag from Mr. Forte.

I just think that a lot of players do not come close to repeating after having a stellar rookie season, therein lies my "unproven" comment. Peterson did, and if Forte has another stellar season this year I will gladly remove my self-imposed "unproven" tag from Mr. Forte.

Lots of pissed off fantasy owners this year if he turns out to be Cadillac

I only read the first few responses. At first, I thought the answer was obvious (ADP). But it only took a second to realize the correct response is either Fitzy or Megatron. As unbelilevable raw as ADP is, he is a RB who has a much shorter lifespan - and the OP stated that this was in a dynasty/keeper league. Plus, I would argue that a WR is less of an injury risk and once you include the .5 PPR is the icing on the cake. I voted Fitzy but a strong case can be made for megatron.