[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Offensive Keeper? Brees, Chris Johnson or Andre Johnson?

I need to Keep one Offensive player, my league is mostly standard Yahoo scoring:

0.5 per reception, 1pt/10 yards rush or rec, 1pt/20 yards passing or kick returning 6pt for any kind of TD so QBs score very high.

For example last year for me:

Drew Brees: 423pts

Chris Johnson: 230pts

Andre Johnson 266pts

I'm leaning Brees because of the mountain of points he can score (scored 60 more than the league #2 QB, Kurt Warner) normally though I wouldn't consider a QB as a keeper but might Brees be worthwhile given we get 6pts per TD for QBs?

Almost all the RBs I could pick, Addai, Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, Ronnie Brown are all load sharers though can all be good points scorers in their own right. In general most PPR rankings should say I pick Andre Johnson but they're based on 4pts per QB TD.

What would you do?

Edited by TaffKiwi

I would say either Andre or Brees. The problem with Brees is that generally after a player has a huge season the next season drops significantly. Not that Brees will be bad but don't expect much. Andre on the other hand was coming on real strong at the end of the year and won many people their leagues. He is a rising star and could be great this year.

Not that Brees will be bad but don't expect much. Andre on the other hand was coming on real strong at the end of the year and won many people their leagues. He is a rising star and could be great this year.

See I'd have said Brees was less of a risk to do well again. I agree Andre looked like the beast he can be towards the end of the season, he even looked good whoever was at QB but he's stellar with Schaub at the helm. Trouble is both Schaub and Johnson haven't been all that durable in the past.

Chris Johnson is the only one typically going in the first round, even in PPR leagues.

So long as all QBs get 6 pts. per TD, that scoring rule has very little affect on QB values, so Brees would still be a late 2nd/early 3rd round type player.

A> Johnson is a consensus top 5 WR.

So, let's get to the questions that need to be answered before any sort of educated advice can be given:

When do you have to decide?

What pick in the draft do you have?

What players do you anticipate being kept?

How many teams in the league?

What players are you anticipating the owners that draft ahead of you to keep/pick before your pick?

I'll assume the lineup requirements in your sig are for this league

The answers to the above are key to being able to provide any sort of logical advice. I'll wait for them before adding more to the thread.

When do you have to decide?

ASAP

What pick in the draft do you have?

I pick 7th and it's Serpentine (so again at 14)

What players do you anticipate being kept?

Most are in already, mainly RBs: LT, Slaton, A-Pete, MJD, Michael Turner, Brady, Fitz, probably Forte and the last one is tough to pick but most likely Brandon Jacobs or Marion Barber.

How many teams in the league?

What players are you anticipating the owners that draft ahead of you to keep/pick before your pick?

Really tough to say, typically RBs go early and often but there's a couple of rogue elements who may well go QB or WR. I'd be surpried if any of the 3 guys I'm considering as my keeper make it to my pick at #7. Knowing some of the guys in the league I'd be shocked if Westy, DeAngelo W or Randy Moss make it to me either. I guess Steven Jackson would make a good guess to be the 6th guy to go before my pick.

I'll assume the lineup requirements in your sig are for this league

yep QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, WR/RB offensively

Well, given that only one QB is being kept, it is safe to say that there will not be a shortage of them available in the draft, so we can safelt drop Brees from consideration (no real shock there)

Given only 10 teams and a requirement of only start 2, WRs have decreased value. Couple that with the number of RBs being protected and also likely to be taken ahead of you, and I think the choice is pretty clearly Chris Johnson. You will be able to get comparable QBs and WRs at your pick, the same can not be said of Johnson, especially in a PPR league where he has increased value.

Well, given that only one QB is being kept, it is safe to say that there will not be a shortage of them available in the draft, so we can safelt drop Brees from consideration (no real shock there)

Given only 10 teams and a requirement of only start 2, WRs have decreased value. Couple that with the number of RBs being protected and also likely to be taken ahead of you, and I think the choice is pretty clearly Chris Johnson. You will be able to get comparable QBs and WRs at your pick, the same can not be said of Johnson, especially in a PPR league where he has increased value.

You can't argue with logic like that. :wacko: Plus the fact that you can start 3 RBs means leaving a top 10 (possibly 5) RB there for the 6 picking before you would be a HUGH mistake.

Well, given that only one QB is being kept, it is safe to say that there will not be a shortage of them available in the draft ...

... Given only 10 teams and a requirement of only start 2, WRs have decreased value. Couple that with the number of RBs being protected and also likely to be taken ahead of you, and I think the choice is pretty clearly Chris Johnson ...

This about sums it up.

Chris Johnson could be a beast this year even with sharing the load with White. Andre Johnson is a beast and still hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Brees is great but I could see less from him in 2009 just because its hard for QBs to repeat such great seasons.

So I guess go with Andre Johnson.