[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Over Trading

I'm in a position in my 10 player keeper league to over trade. I'm always reluctant to pull the trigger when I feel like the other team is getting better value on the trade. I was curious what the popular opinion is on the Huddle for this topic? Here's my specific scenario:

This is an 8 team 10 player keeper league. We start 2 QB's, but everything else is pretty standard (PPR league). Here's what I've got to work with going into the draft:

QB's

Romo

Rivers

Palmer

Quinn

RB's

S-Jax

Forte

MJD

PThomas

Addai

WR's

AJohnson

BEdwards

I'd like to be able to pick up a top 5 WR's. I've sent some feeler emails to a couple of owners (Fitz for Forte; Calvin or RMoss for Forte). I have Forte rated #3 on my depth chart for RB's, so he's the one I would like to move, but if it came down to it I'm in a position to trade any of my top 3 RB's (MJD, S-Jax & Forte) for a top 5 WR, Right? I guess there's always a balance. I have to keep in mind which team I'm helping by doing this. If it's my main competition maybe I should avoid trading with them? What are you thoughts on my delima and over trading in general?

Here is what I do in these situations -

1. Make my list of current keepers with my team as is.

2. Determine where I want to improve.

3. Find a team with strength where I want to improve

4. Make offers that are more two or three for one types where I am getting the better player in the deal. Essentially I'll offer one of my current keepers plus any number of my non-keepers for an improvement.

I have majorly overpaid to acquire stud players in this manner (Faulk in the early 2000s, etc.), but from my point of view, I am basically giving myself a free upgrade on keepers as much of what I give up was something I would not be able to keep anyway. So, rather than put that asset back into the draft pool, I put it to work for me and upgrade my keepers.

So, rather than offering up Forte for a WR and sacrificing RB depth, see if you could acquire a comparable WR for Pierre Thomas and say a Palmer. Granted, you sacrifice QB depth, which in a 2 QB mandatory league is quite valuable, but, if you start more than 2 WRs, it may be worth sacrificing depth to improve your starting WRs.

This point of view that I take is also why I am a HUGH proponent of trading away any player that you won't be keeping for picks.

Here is what I do in these situations -

1. Make my list of current keepers with my team as is.

2. Determine where I want to improve.

3. Find a team with strength where I want to improve

4. Make offers that are more two or three for one types where I am getting the better player in the deal. Essentially I'll offer one of my current keepers plus any number of my non-keepers for an improvement.

I have majorly overpaid to acquire stud players in this manner (Faulk in the early 2000s, etc.), but from my point of view, I am basically giving myself a free upgrade on keepers as much of what I give up was something I would not be able to keep anyway. So, rather than put that asset back into the draft pool, I put it to work for me and upgrade my keepers.

So, rather than offering up Forte for a WR and sacrificing RB depth, see if you could acquire a comparable WR for Pierre Thomas and say a Palmer. Granted, you sacrifice QB depth, which in a 2 QB mandatory league is quite valuable, but, if you start more than 2 WRs, it may be worth sacrificing depth to improve your starting WRs.

This point of view that I take is also why I am a HUGH proponent of trading away any player that you won't be keeping for picks.

I hear you Big Country, but I don't like to trade players when their value is at an all time low (IE, Palmer). It's just a rule of mine. I followed this rule after Roethlisberger's 06 season and reaped the rewards before last year when I traded Roeth and Chad Johnson for Romo and Calvin Johnson. Unfortunately I moved Calvin during the season. Also, QB's are worth their weight in gold in this league. Franchise QB's are valued just as high as Franchise RB's in this league. I guess another reason why I'm focussing on my RB's is that if I move one of the top 3 it will make my life much easier week to week with 2 clear cut starters and PThomas as the #3. A two for one type of deal is ideal, but it's very hard to do in general and even harder in an 8 team league. We've been talking about expanding to 10, but that probably won't happen until 2010.

Hmmm...I figured this would be a "Hot Topic" on this board. Nobody has an opinion on over trading?

Also, I've got an update on my delima. The team with Fitz is close to agreeing on a trade for Forte (his top RB's are Westbrook and Slaton). He wants me to sweeten the deal a little. He wants me to give him one of my top draft picks (My first pick will be in round 11 since I will be keeping 10) for one of his late round picks. That still sounds doable to me. What do you think huddlers?

My team after the trade would be...

QB's

Rivers

Romo

Palmer

Quinn (maybe)

RB's

S-Jax

MJD

PThomas

Addai (maybe)

WR's

Fitz

AJohnson

Braylon

Wow, that looks ridiculous even for an 8 team league, IMO.

Edited by Capt. Stanky