[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, I think we officially have everything covered now.

The Irish Doggy

Its a superfecta!

Meet Alysa Stanton, the nation's first black female Jewish rabbi, according to Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, the oldest institution of higher Jewish education of Reform Judaism in the United States.

Advertisement

And she did it right here in Cincinnati.

The Blue Ash resident was among 14 rabbis ordained at the Plum Street Temple on Saturday after completing their studies at Hebrew Union College's Cincinnati campus.

"I am honored to be a visual presence of the 'new face' of Judaism," the Cleveland native said. "My goals as a rabbi are to break down barriers, build bridges and provide hope."

Inside the elaborate Plum Street Temple, friends and family of the new rabbis and others celebrating their ordinations recited blessings and sang traditional songs, accompanied by a small group of vocalists and instrumentalists playing the French horn, piano, oboe and other instruments. The chorus reverberated through the temple built in 1866 under lights from original candelabras and sunlight pouring through the temple's many stained-glass windows.

"The Class of 2009 emerged from the college-institute imbued with leadership skills, steeped in knowledge, strengthened by a commitment to service and dedicated to bringing hope and healing our troubled world," said Rabbi David Ellenson, president of HUC.

Stanton, 45, was raised in a Pentocostal Christian home in a Jewish neighborhood, her spiritual journey took many turns throughout her life. She converted to Judaism more than 20 years ago while attending Colorado State University. She would drive 144 miles each week to study with a Conservative rabbi in an Orthodox synagogue.

A former counselor and student of psychology, she worked with trauma victims in a community mental health center in Colorado.

This summer Stanton will become rabbi of Congregation Bayt Shalom in Greenville, N.C.

"Here I stand: blessed, happy and proud of the successes that have become a part of my history," Stanton wrote in submitted prose for the rabbinical ordination. "I look forward to the promising path that lies ahead, with each step guided by my faith, my village and my G-d."