[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees or Brady

Which QB?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

• Brees
    • Brady

I know this sounds like a free yahoo league, but in workin a 3 way trade to get AJ, i got "stuck" with Brady and no AJ. I have had brees for a few years now. I have several offers, including one im going to accept involving fitz. i can trade either qb. dynasty league. 6pt tds. 1 per 20 pass yds. a weird scenario, opinions? im leaning towards brees.

Most people are gonna vote Brees and say ," hes younger you gotta keep Brees". Brees is 30 Brady is 31. I see at least 4 more very productive years from Brady. Both have had surgeries, Brees to his shoulder and Brady to knee. As long as I think the Pats will keep throwing the ball then I would have to go with Brady over Brees. IMO

valid argument except that Brees has proven that he's recovered from his surgery.

I see Brees floor as much much higher. So while Brady's celing might be slightly higher, the risk/reward for me is Brees.

NOS has more quality WR depth, but if that new kid for NE, Tate, can meet his potential, then they're solid too.

I could not disagree more , I don't see Brady's floor lower then Brees'. But again thats what makes this all so much fun , differing opinions.

don't get me wrong, Brees is fantastic and will , baring injury, be a top 5 QB again . I just happen to believe that the difference this year will be negligible, but that Brady will be more valuable over the next few. Again neither I nor you have a crystal ball , so we will just have to wait and see.

I ended up keeping brees. i have one of the best 2 teams going into the season, and while brady could go off for 50tds again, i feel more comfortable with brees and being a top 2-3 qb. thanks for the advice guys

Edited by rcswildcat

I don't need a crystal ball :wacko: Based on history of players with similar injuries, Brady will have a rough start and will likely take him until mid-season to find his form. So, for this year, the difference will be far from negligible.

Peyton Manning had far less intrusive surgery last off-season (didn't Brady tear multiple ligaments?) and Manning's QB rating was:

Games 1-8 83.3

Games 9-16 108.3

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill cuz I know you drafted Brady in LLD, but I'm not sure you're being realistic.

It has nothing to do with having Brady, I have Brees in other leagues, so while I dont expect him to be perfect from the get go I do expect him to have an averageto better than average Brady season ( 3600 yds-30-35 tds ) . Brady also hurt himself in game 1 so he will have had an entire year to recover, not just the 9 months he would've had if he was hurt later in the season. And to tell me what will happen with such certainty you absolutly would need that ball.We will just have to remember to revisit this later in the season :D

Edited by G.K.Trey

• 3 weeks later...

Remember Brees plays in a dome and that my friends is the tie breaker. Both talented and can take you to the final dance but Brady lost me the title two years back with his 6 point performance in the blazing snow.

quick questions...

how many times has brady thrown for 30+ TDs?

once

how many times has brees thrown for 30+ TDs?

once

how many times has brady thrown for 25 or more TDs?

four

how many times has brees thrown for 25 or more TDs?

four

how many times has brady thrown for 4000+ yards?

once

how many times has brees thrown for 4000+ yards?

three

how many times has brady thrown for 5000+ yards?

none

how many times has brees thrown for 5000+ yards?

once

how many games has brady played on his reconstructed knee?

none

how many games has brees played with his reconstructed shoulder?

48 games 13910 (avg 4637/year a number brady has eclipsed once) yards & 88(avg 29.3 per yr) TDs long

You need to qualify that. How does he have more upside? Is it because it's hard for Brees to go up when you're already at the top?

I think it's obvious. The man threw 50 td passes the last time he was upright for 16 games. Brees has never come close to that.

is that a realistic ceiling or an anomaly?

What are the realistic ceilings and floors for both?

It's not a realistic ceiling for anyone. It is an NFL record that will likely stand for a while. As for the quick questions below, I've added a couple that might throw out the argument that was being made.

If Brady is truly healthy after 10 months then it's VERY possible to get to 35+ tds as long as he's still throwing to Moss who is still as good as he was during that record breaking season. Brees is the safer pick and I would choose him as my keeper but Brady is the higher risk/reward pick. I'd be too afraid to gamble with my starting QB.

how many times has Brady thrown for 50 tds? once

how many times has Brees thrown for 50 tds? zero

how many times has Brady had a Pro Bowl or Hall of fame WR for a season? once Moss

how many times has Brees had a Pro Bowl or HAll of fame WR for a season? more than once Gates

Who's had th better running game over their careers to allow WRs to be in more 1 on 1 situations. Easily Brees

how many times has brady thrown for 30+ TDs? once

how many times has brees thrown for 30+ TDs? once

how many times has brady thrown for 25 or more TDs? four

how many times has brees thrown for 25 or more TDs? four

how many times has brady thrown for 4000+ yards? once

how many times has brees thrown for 4000+ yards? three

how many times has brady thrown for 5000+ yards? none

how many times has brees thrown for 5000+ yards? once

how many games has brady played on his reconstructed knee? none

how many games has brees played with his reconstructed shoulder? 48 games 13910 (avg 4637/year a number brady has eclipsed once) yards & 88(avg 29.3 per yr) TDs long

It's not a realistic ceiling for anyone. It is an NFL record that will likely stand for a while. As for the quick questions below, I've added a couple that might throw out the argument that was being made.

If Brady is truly healthy after 10 months then it's VERY possible to get to 35+ tds as long as he's still throwing to Moss who is still as good as he was during that record breaking season. Brees is the safer pick and I would choose him as my keeper but Brady is the higher risk/reward pick. I'd be too afraid to gamble with my starting QB.

how many times has Brady thrown for 50 tds? once

how many times has Brees thrown for 50 tds? zero

how many times has Brady had a Pro Bowl or Hall of fame WR for a season? once Moss

how many times has Brees had a Pro Bowl or HAll of fame WR for a season? more than once Gates

Who's had th better running game over their careers to allow WRs to be in more 1 on 1 situations. Easily Brees

how many times has brady thrown for 30+ TDs? once

how many times has brees thrown for 30+ TDs? once

how many times has brady thrown for 25 or more TDs? four

how many times has brees thrown for 25 or more TDs? four

how many times has brady thrown for 4000+ yards? once

how many times has brees thrown for 4000+ yards? three

how many times has brady thrown for 5000+ yards? none

how many times has brees thrown for 5000+ yards? once

how many games has brady played on his reconstructed knee? none

how many games has brees played with his reconstructed shoulder? 48 games 13910 (avg 4637/year a number brady has eclipsed once) yards & 88(avg 29.3 per yr) TDs long

imo, Gates while possibly on his way is currently not a lock for the HOF and I wonder if you actually did your homework on the running games or just assume it is so since brees had LT at the start of his career? the last 3 seasons in NO Brees has played with the (28th, 28th and 19th ranked rushing attacks)...

and I highlighted the biggest problem I see with anyone that argues Brady is the better option to keep

Edited by keggerz

Something else to add to this is that the Saints have far more weapons at Brees' disposal than Brady does with the Pats. The offense for the Saints is set up for Brees to have continued success. I have my homer glasses stowed away here. Brees would easily be my choice of the 2.

imo, Gates while possibly on his way is currently not a lock for the HOF and I wonder if you actually did your homework on the running games or just assume it is so since brees had LT at the start of his career? the last 3 seasons in NO Brees has played with the (28th, 28th and 19th ranked rushing attacks)...

and I highlighted the biggest problem I see with anyone that argues Brady is the better option to keep

No I didn't do any research at all actually. LT was pretty much in his prime when Brees was there and I wasn't factoring just the last 3 yrs (Reggie Bush) but total careers for both Brees and Brady. Brees 8 year career 5 of which were spent with LT. Brady 9 years all spent with Rbs/Wrs that were either average, bad or on their way down hill until Moss arrived. I didn't see the need to break out a calculator when comparing their full careers. Fact of the matter is that Brady has always had less help around him than Peyton and Brees. When he finally got some above average talent he went nuts and broke a record that we all thought would not be broken for many years. (Peyton's 49). All I'm saying is that I think Brady has special and rare talent and can still be great in 2009 but Brees is the much safer pick due to the injury. My answer to the original question is KEEP Brees but I couldn't resist playing devil's advocate. I'd admire the guts and optimism on life that it would take for anyone to keep Brady over Brees even though it might mean a tragic end to your season to see Brady on IR by week 6.

Edited by Asskickas