[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 Running Backs this Year?

This is how i'm ranking my top 5 running backs, i would be surprised if they go in this order in the draft.

1. Adrian Peterson

2. MJD

3. Matt Forte

4. Michael Turner

5. Deangelo Williams/L.T./Brian Westbrook

What about you guys?

Yeah my lists would slightly vary depending on PPR or not. I play in all PPR so for now, I'd say-

1- Matt Forte

2- MJD

3- LT

4- Steven Jackson

5- Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson

Yeah my lists would slightly vary depending on PPR or not. I play in all PPR so for now, I'd say-

1- Matt Forte

2- MJD

3- LT

4- Steven Jackson

5- Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson

I have the 3 in bold on a dynasty team :wacko:

Here are my top 5 in a PPR league at this moment:

1. MJD

2. ADP

3. S-Jax

4. Forte

5. CJohnson

I have the 3 in bold on a dynasty team :wacko:

Here are my top 5 in a PPR league at this moment:

1. MJD

2. ADP

3. S-Jax

4. Forte

5. CJohnson

I like the list. I just don't think that ADP will be in the Top 5 in a PPR league as he just doesn't see enough action in the passing game. I believe that ADP was 9th in total points last year and 11th when it came to average points per week at the RB position. There are some scary stats when it comes to ADP that make me leary of him.

I like the list. I just don't think that ADP will be in the Top 5 in a PPR league as he just doesn't see enough action in the passing game. I believe that ADP was 9th in total points last year and 11th when it came to average points per week at the RB position. There are some scary stats when it comes to ADP that make me leary of him.

I hear you, Irish. I just think there's so many ?'s at RB this year. I think ADP's talent alone makes him a top back. Even our top 2 picks at the postion, MJD and Forte, have major ?'s. I just think ADP is safer than some other backs. I am a bit concerned about a bit of a sophmore slump for Forte. I think he will be productive, but won't get horsed as he did last year.

:D

:D

You need "Official MJD nut-hugger 2009" in your signature like Taz does with JStew since you spew MJD juice in every thread! :D I tease cuz I'm far away. But as in those threads, I still agree with you that he's gonna have a few great years.

I have no problem taking that title. I love me some pocket hercules, hercules, hercules.

I suspect it's cuz of AP's floor?

Wow, you managed to say what I meant in 7 words. Well done. :wacko:

Edited by Capt. Stanky

My top 5 this year:

1. AP

2. Chris Johnson

3. MJD

4. S. jackson

5. Pierre Thomas *

* Every year there seems to be a RB who has a breakout year and far surpasses what expectation of him are. This year, I am going with Pierre Thomas. Everything is set up for him to have a career year. And while I like, Slaton, Forte, Westbrook, LT and Turner, I think Thomas will outproduce them. Of course, I would never draft Thomas in the first round. But I will draft him a lot earlier than most as to not miss out.

I suspect it's cuz of AP's floor?

Absolutely! I posted this elsewhere but if you look at ADP's first 30 games over the last 2 years, he has had 8 single digit performances (almost 1/4 of the games) and 15 out of 30 of those games were point totals of 15 points or lower. And if you take out his 3 hugh performances (a 30+ pt game, 40+ pt game and 50+ pt game) over the 30 games, he easily drops out of the Top 10. There's no way in hell, I draft ADP #1 overall in any PPR league that I'm in and am more than content to watch someone else take him. If you remove his one big game from last year's totals he averaged something like 13.8 points per week or something close to that. There were a bunch of RBs who were much more consistent and outscored him on a weekly basis.

Welll since i never did like a formal sort of explanation on my top 5, i think now is a good time to do it.

1. Adrian Peterson - Compared to every other running back in the NFL. He continues to just be to fast to catch. He is a very versatile and quick player also, so you can try to stop him but he always has at least one or two big plays a game.

2. MJD - I mean, cummon. Even when his team is slacking he still does an excellent job, i also see him having a very strong year, possibly even a terrific year if his team pulls together and has the season everyone thought they would have this year.

3. Matt Forte - He did great things this past season. I was so impressed with him, however there is this years downsides. 1. Jay Cutler. With Jay a new addition to the team, they may try to pass a bit more also, consider his injury. That's a key factor in a pick up of Matt Forte.

4. Michael Turner - He's a big boy, who puts up big numbers.

5. Deangelo Williams/L.T./Brian Westbrook - All three of these players, are huge when they play their best....but their consistancy well. It's questionable.

Absolutely! I posted this elsewhere but if you look at ADP's first 30 games over the last 2 years, he has had 8 single digit performances (almost 1/4 of the games) and 15 out of 30 of those games were point totals of 15 points or lower. And if you take out his 3 hugh performances (a 30+ pt game, 40+ pt game and 50+ pt game) over the 30 games, he easily drops out of the Top 10. There's no way in hell, I draft ADP #1 overall in any PPR league that I'm in and am more than content to watch someone else take him. If you remove his one big game from last year's totals he averaged something like 13.8 points per week or something close to that. There were a bunch of RBs who were much more consistent and outscored him on a weekly basis.

This is stupid. If you take out one RB's top 4 performances, you must take out EVERY RB's top 4 performances.

I don't expect AD to score so few TDs again--especially with the additions of a downfield QB and Harvin. With Chester's contract up, I would expect he will catch around 35-40 balls this year as well...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

This is stupid. If you take out one RB's top 4 performances, you must take out EVERY RB's top 4 performances.

I don't expect AD to score so few TDs again--especially with the additions of a downfield QB and Harvin. With Chester's contract up, I would expect he will catch around 35-40 balls this year as well...

Really?!? What about the facts that he had 8 single-digit performances out of 30 games and 15 out of those 30 games were 15 points or less. Not so stupid really if you do your research. All I'm saying is those huge games are only so useful if you needed all those points to win. However, when you're left with a much lesser average per week for the other weeks, you can't be considered that consistent or dominant.

And on top of it, if you leave ADP's top 4 perfromances in there as well as everyone else's, he doesn't compare in PPR leagues and drops in the rankings. Last year, ADP was ranked as the 9th overall RB in PPR leagues in terms of total points and 11th in terms of average points per week.

Edited by irish

Really?!? What about the facts that he had 8 single-digit performances out of 30 games and 15 out of those 30 games were 15 points or less. Not so stupid really if you do your research. All I'm saying is those huge games are only so useful if you needed all those points to win. However, when you're left with a much lesser average per week for the other weeks, you can't be considered that consistent or dominant.

And on top of it, if you leave ADP's top 4 perfromances in there as well as everyone else's, he doesn't compare in PPR leagues and drops in the rankings. Last year, ADP was ranked as the 9th overall RB in PPR leagues in terms of total points and 11th in terms of average points per week.

What about the fact that he had TEN hundred yard games in 08? No one else is even close. You want to talk consistency? That's the epitome of it...

I guess I would have to put MJD over AP. I think AP is great but MJD is more consistent especially in PPR. I had both in a dynasty league and gave up AP for Boldin and Andre Johnson. I just couldn't pass it up.

that's insane. I would take that deal too!

welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the greeting

I am a big AP fan and live in Oklahoma and love the Sooners so I have had a man crush on him for a while. i just want to win!!!!!

What about the fact that he had TEN hundred yard games in 08? No one else is even close. You want to talk consistency? That's the epitome of it...

That's great and if he can add more TDs this year his value would be right at the Top. However, half of his games last year and half of his games over the last 2 years have been less than 15 points. So ADP runs for 102 yards, 114 yards and gets 10.2 pts and 11.4 pts respectively and to me that's not a #1 overall pick. He doesn't catch the ball and doesn't score as much as the Holmes, Faulks, LTs, Emmitt Smiths of old did. I doubt the receptions increase much to matter but if the TDs can jump up about 5-6 or so, than he'll be worth it in PPR leagues. Yeah Forte or MJD didn't score many TDs are were right around where ADP was, however, when you throw in the fact that they both get about 4 times the amount of targets in the passing game and about triple the amount of receptions than, in PPR leagues, that makes up for the lack of big TD numbers.

That's great and if he can add more TDs this year his value would be right at the Top. However, half of his games last year and half of his games over the last 2 years have been less than 15 points. So ADP runs for 102 yards, 114 yards and gets 10.2 pts and 11.4 pts respectively and to me that's not a #1 overall pick. He doesn't catch the ball and doesn't score as much as the Holmes, Faulks, LTs, Emmitt Smiths of old did. I doubt the receptions increase much to matter but if the TDs can jump up about 5-6 or so, than he'll be worth it in PPR leagues. Yeah Forte or MJD didn't score many TDs are were right around where ADP was, however, when you throw in the fact that they both get about 4 times the amount of targets in the passing game and about triple the amount of receptions than, in PPR leagues, that makes up for the lack of big TD numbers.

All those guys were old when they started having hugh seasons. AD is just 24. He made a commitment this off-season to get better at protection. I think he makes the jump to 40 rec this year with a better QB tossing the rock...

People say MJD is going to get more touches? I don't see it. Taylor only had around 500 yards last season. How much of that is he going to get? With Jones, Jennings, and Washington, my guess is his numbers look nearly identical...

• 3 weeks later...

Im trying to figure out who to draft at #3. If AP falls to me, I have to take him regardless that Im in a ppr because hes the consensus long term best back. But I think everyones too hard on AP and not realizing that he has no qb to keep defenses honest. Imagine a decent airial attack with AP running wild...............just insane!!!!

1. Peterson

2. Turner

3. MJD

4. Forte

5. De' Williams

I have not made up my mind about the 4-5 spots. Some days I favor De', others I think Forte should be ranked higher. As of today though this is how I see it. As for Turner, I would like to point out he scares me a little. He did hit 370 carries last year and those familiar with "the curse of 370" know exactly what I am talking about. For those not familiar "The curse of 370" basically states that when a RB gets 370 carries or more in a single season you can expect a dramatic decrease in individual stats all across the board. Often it even signals the beginning of the end of a RB's career. Just a few of those to suffer from the curse include Shaun Alexander, LJ, Ricky Williams and Eddie Goerge. With all that said i'm betting against the curse in this instance because it was Turner's first full season carrying the load.

TDs are unpredictable and when judging RBs, you should look at yardage and ypc. ADP is a STUD, in fact, he is the best RB in the league, he will get his TDs, don't you worry. If you wait for him to prove his TD worth, then you are too late. Entering his 3rd year and one of the best O-lines in the league, you'd be foolish, IMO, to have him ranked lower than #1. This guy is going to explode over the next few years starting in 2009. Once you wait for him to show you his true ceiling, then you're already behind the curve. I only wish more guys like you played in my leagues. I understand he doesn't get much in the passing game, but I gotta think that will change. Even if it doesn't - he's so explosive and drips of awesomeness, that you have to have him ranked #1 no matter the scoring format. I'm really shocked that you have Forte as #1 - I'm a Bear homer and would love it, but I think you've drank too much kool-aid. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see a solid but not spectacular year from Forte.

I see that several people like DeAngelo Williams in the top 5. Which is understandable I guess after his monster year last year.

But I see it as a career year that he won't come close to repeating.

The Panthers' schedule is much harder this year. I don't see them scoring 30 rushing TDs again this year.

And I see a Jonathan Stewart getting about 40% of the carries and maybe more of the TDs.

And Williams can't be counted on in terms of receiving yards. He only had 121 receiving yds last year. The Panthers just don't throw to their RBs.

:wacko: Williams will come back to earth this year.

Someone made a post detailing what DWill did against what teams. It really put things in perspective to see that he only had one good game against a good defense(Giants). His division isn't great against the run, but he still faces a tough rush schedule this year.

I think the staff will stay true to the veteran like they always do and he will still get 65% of the carries.

In the end I am hoping the guys in my league only think about him scoring like crazy at the end of the year and draft him before I have to deal with the headache.