[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car question

Marauders11

Yesterday AM I get in my car (2001 Jeep Wrangler) and it would not start- nothing. dash guages were jumping like crazy but that's it, no engine turn over at all.

I got a jump and it started right up but as soon as I took my foot off the gas the car died again. Jumped it again, same thing- as long as I was revving the engine with the gas pedal even slightly depressed it was fine- once I took my foot of the gas engine died again.

any thoughts as to whether this sounds like a drained battery or something worse?

Yesterday AM I get in my car (2001 Jeep Wrangler) and it would not start- nothing. dash guages were jumping like crazy but that's it, no engine turn over at all.

I got a jump and it started right up but as soon as I took my foot off the gas the car died again. Jumped it again, same thing- as long as I was revving the engine with the gas pedal even slightly depressed it was fine- once I took my foot of the gas engine died again.

any thoughts as to whether this sounds like a drained battery or something worse?

First off it was low voltage. The stalling issue is due the the way the idle strategy is set up in the Chrysler computers. You will need to drive it a good bit before it will relearn what idle is and command the IAC motor to set at a setting that will allow you to take your foot off of the gas. After changing a battery on those vehicles I go in with a scan tool and reset all the adaptive controls back to factory settings to avoid such stalling.

First off it was low voltage. The stalling issue is due the the way the idle strategy is set up in the Chrysler computers. You will need to drive it a good bit before it will relearn what idle is and command the IAC motor to set at a setting that will allow you to take your foot off of the gas. After changing a battery on those vehicles I go in with a scan tool and reset all the adaptive controls back to factory settings to avoid such stalling.

so you think changing the battery is the correct 1st step? I just wanted someone to confirm that for me since I know nothing about cars, and I'd hate to drop the $$ on a battery if it seemed like something else going on.

by the way I couldn't even drive the thing because when I took my foot off the gas to the brake to put the car in gear it died instantly. how am I going to get this thing out of my driveway to reset the idle?

Thanks!

Edited by Marauders11

Shift car to neutral, start, control idle with gas pedal (just enough not to die), shift to D and go!

I gotcha, i hate f'n car problems. the thing dies the second i take my foot off the gas. I hope this new battery does the trick

I gotcha, i hate f'n car problems. the thing dies the second i take my foot off the gas. I hope this new battery does the trick

You should be able to take your battery to the local parts store to have it charged and tested. How old is the battery? If more than 3 years old replace it regardless.

Something to try for the idle which may work. Start the truck, bring rpms to about 1500 and keep it there for 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly ;let your foot off of the gas and it may hold an idle.

As far as the alternator goes there is really no sure way for me to say without testing for charging voltage. However is you were able to keep the truck running after removing the jumper cables most likely the alternator is charging.

You should be able to take your battery to the local parts store to have it charged and tested. How old is the battery? If more than 3 years old replace it regardless.

Something to try for the idle which may work. Start the truck, bring rpms to about 1500 and keep it there for 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly ;let your foot off of the gas and it may hold an idle.

As far as the alternator goes there is really no sure way for me to say without testing for charging voltage. However is you were able to keep the truck running after removing the jumper cables most likely the alternator is charging.

thanks man- I do appreciate the input- I bought the Jeep "pre-owned" from a dealership in October of 2007- and I suspect the battery has been around a while.

I'll let you know how it works out

thanks man- I do appreciate the input- I bought the Jeep "pre-owned" from a dealership in October of 2007- and I suspect the battery has been around a while.

I'll let you know how it works out

Funny...... Today I am getting my dads old 97 Town and Country van ready to sell. Had been sitting for a bit and the battery was dead. Took it over to the shop and recharged the battery and guess what happened? You got it. The van wouldn't idle. Reset the adaptive air and fuel controls with the scanner and she runs like a champ!

Ironic.

I'll tell you what guys, my Dad is a millwright/metal worker but previous to that he was a mechanic for coal mines for 20+ years. As such, he has had many an antique street-rod and done most of his own work. I've learned a bunch from him over the years.

tbimm knows much more than I do about vehicles but I can tell you every piece of advice I've ever seen him give is spot-on and I've typically agreed 1,000,000,000,000,000%. I'd listen to anything he has to say. Good on you, Tom. :wacko:

I'll tell you what guys, my Dad is a millwright/metal worker but previous to that he was a mechanic for coal mines for 20+ years. As such, he has had many an antique street-rod and done most of his own work. I've learned a bunch from him over the years.

tbimm knows much more than I do about vehicles but I can tell you every piece of advice I've ever seen him give is spot-on and I've typically agreed 1,000,000,000,000,000%. I'd listen to anything he has to say. Good on you, Tom. :wacko:

Thanks for the compliment.

I look in the tailgate for Huddlers asking for advice about their cars. I actually enjoy helping out any way I can. Much like Club, I have received my share of help from this forum and I feel it is a way that I can show my gratitude. Not all problems can be solved without looking at the vehicle but many can. Chances are if it is so involved that I can't at least point you in the right direction then you probably won't be able to do it in your driveway no matter how much I assist from my desk.

The one thing I do ask is that whenever possible let me know how it turned out. Whether my advice was right or wrong I like to here what the final outcome was. I take a great deal of pride in my work at the shop and knowing I was able to be of some help here is also important to me.

swapped it out in about 40 minutes, started right up, no problem with the idle- running like a champ! I'm very proud of myself, I'm am in no way automotivley inclined.

Thanks Tbimm-I was afraid of buying the battery and finding the problem NOT fixed.

swapped it out in about 40 minutes, started right up, no problem with the idle- running like a champ! I'm very proud of myself, I'm am in no way automotivley inclined.

Thanks Tbimm-I was afraid of buying the battery and finding the problem NOT fixed.

Good deal.

Tell NSab I said hi. Hope the Tattoo business is treating him well!

Never doubt our resident Master Mechanic! Dam, the resources here are phenomenal! The only category I see as vacant is Law enforcement. That is, cops, FBI, DEA, etc..

John, what info do you have on that?? :wacko:

Funny...... Today I am getting my dads old 97 Town and Country van ready to sell. Had been sitting for a bit and the battery was dead. Took it over to the shop and recharged the battery and guess what happened? You got it. The van wouldn't idle. Reset the adaptive air and fuel controls with the scanner and she runs like a champ!

Ironic.

crap that's a mini van isn't it?......i'm lookin ta buy a Full size van

Never doubt our resident Master Mechanic! Dam, the resources here are phenomenal! The only category I see as vacant is Law enforcement. That is, cops, FBI, DEA, etc..

John, what info do you have on that?? :wacko:

:D Mojo20 and dirtdickens are policemen. McBoog is in the Feds.