[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper advice

I am in a standard scoring league and am able to retain three players from the previous year. I plan on retaining Chris Johnson and Andre Johnson but can’t decide on the third between Philip Rivers, Reggie Bush, and Marshawn Lynch. I also have Darren Mcfadden and Desean Jackson, but i dont think they are as keeper worthy as the other, but feel free to correct me if im wrong! I pick 8th in the re-draft. Who do you think I should keep?

I will assume that by "standard scoring league" you mean PPR. If that's the case, you have to keep Reggie Bush. At the 8th spot, you have a chance to get a QB (possibly even Rivers) but you will NOT have the chance to take back Bush.

I will assume that by "standard scoring league" you mean PPR. If that's the case, you have to keep Reggie Bush. At the 8th spot, you have a chance to get a QB (possibly even Rivers) but you will NOT have the chance to take back Bush.

I took "standard scoring" to mean non-ppr.

ppr = Bush

non-ppr = Rivers

I say if you are going for the home run then keep Mcfadden. If it was my team I would keep Mcfadden over Rivers and Bush. Mcfadden actually looked good last year considering he was not healthy. He is very talented and just because he did not come out of college like Adp does not mean he wont be very good. Just remember how Calvin was his rookie year. Imo you can find a qb who produces close to Rivers but Mcfadden can still be special. I think its worth a shot.

I say if you are going for the home run then keep Mcfadden. If it was my team I would keep Mcfadden over Rivers and Bush. Mcfadden actually looked good last year considering he was not healthy. He is very talented and just because he did not come out of college like Adp does not mean he wont be very good. Just remember how Calvin was his rookie year. Imo you can find a qb who produces close to Rivers but Mcfadden can still be special. I think its worth a shot.

This.... Rivers is easily replaceable in the draft, whereas if McFadden turns in solid #2 RB numbers, that is much harder to find in the draft.

This.... Rivers is easily replaceable in the draft, whereas if McFadden turns in solid #2 RB numbers, that is much harder to find in the draft.

DMac is much more easily replaceable in the draft. Rivers is in the top 5 at his position. DMac is not.

If you love DMac, you can still get him in the 4th/5th round.

Edited by spider321

DMac is much more easily replaceable in the draft. Rivers is in the top 5 at his position. DMac is not.

If you love DMac, you can still get him in the 4th/5th round.

Rivers is not in my top 5. Top 10 yes, not top 5. Plus QB is about the easiest position to fill (other than maybe WR3) and my general strategies towards QB are well known these parts. RB generally the toughest to fill.

We have a situation here with legitimate keeper possibilities at positions that are tougher to fill, ie RB and WR2. With no PPR, Bush is devalued. McFadden, as a likely top 20 back, is way more valuable than Rivers as a top 10 QB. If he is your #5 QB, then it is close, depending on just how much higher you feel he will perform compared to the otehr comparable QBs. Jackson is at least the likely #1 WR with a solid QB and a balanced offense that will keep defenders from keying on him, so he does warrant consideration.

Now, strategically speaking, you mention there is a small fee to retain the players. You do not state how much this is, if you HAVE to keep 3 players, and if you don't have to and opt to keep less, what happens.. do you get a supplemental pick? Just head in with less players? Also, who do you see as the top 4-5 players at QB/RB/WR that are likely to be in the draft pool? What are the other owner's tendencies in terms of their keeper choices? A lot of questions that need to be answered in order to fully develop a sound keeper strategy.

well the fee for retaining players is $5, and you can retain up to 3 but don't have to. most teams would end up take huge steps back if they don't retain the 3 players because if you don't keep i am pretty sure you get additional picks at the end. not entirely positive tho because I've been in this league since 2000 and nobody has ever declined to retain all 3.

there are no certainties as to who will be available as we declare our keepers closer to the preseason, and draft at the end or the preseason. there are way too many variables to list who will be available at each of those positions. i do know that this is a league of RB lovers. pretty much every year teams keep at least 1 RB and most of the time 2. so in order to get a good RB you pretty much have to draft a rookie and hope for the best or wait til no later that week 2 for the guy that is going to break out. that's how i landed chris johnson last year. i do believe there will be quality QBs available in the draft pool though. Rodgers, Warner, Cutler, McNabb, and Big Ben are some of the big guys i believe will be available.

well the fee for retaining players is $5, and you can retain up to 3 but don't have to. most teams would end up take huge steps back if they don't retain the 3 players because if you don't keep i am pretty sure you get additional picks at the end. not entirely positive tho because I've been in this league since 2000 and nobody has ever declined to retain all 3.

there are no certainties as to who will be available as we declare our keepers closer to the preseason, and draft at the end or the preseason. there are way too many variables to list who will be available at each of those positions. i do know that this is a league of RB lovers. pretty much every year teams keep at least 1 RB and most of the time 2. so in order to get a good RB you pretty much have to draft a rookie and hope for the best or wait til no later that week 2 for the guy that is going to break out. that's how i landed chris johnson last year. i do believe there will be quality QBs available in the draft pool though. Rodgers, Warner, Cutler, McNabb, and Big Ben are some of the big guys i believe will be available.

To me, these are all reasons to take a shot on keeping one of the RBs. Plenty of comparable QBs will be available in the draft, and the RB pickins will be very slim. I don't see any notation on lineup requirements, but holding the extra RB also gives you a lot more flexibility in the draft. If you hold Rivers, you almost certainly have to go RB with your first pick. If you hold Lynch or McFadden, you can do just about anything, be it add a WR to the stable, add an RB for depth if a good one falls, or add the best available QB.