[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Local redraft league considering adding a keeper

How is draft order determined?

-Is it based on the ranking of the player kept (and if so, what ranking should be used)?

-Or is it random? For example, if a manager kept AP and drew the tenth draft spot, you'd get AP and the 11th overall pick- quite an advantage...

-If an owner does not have a keeper, how is their draft order assigned?

It seems I've often heard around here that one way to do it is to give up your selection in the round where that player was selected in the previous draft. So if I drafted Michael Turner in the 10th round last year, I would lose my tenth round selection. This also allows some strategy...

Do I give up a 2nd round selection for Peyton Manning or a 7th round selection for Calvin Johnson... BUT, I don't know that we have a record of what players were drafted when from last year (draft was unorganized, plan to help keep better records this year).

Based on the ending rosters, I think three managers definitely have questionable keeper value. Since they were already at the bottom last year, and this is mainly a low money friendly league, I am against any change that would put them at a disadvantage going into this year. Was also thinking maybe it would be best to vote on now to implement next year so people can shape their rosters appropriately.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

It would not be fair to the league to decide THIS year to implement keepers based on LAST year's draft. You must start fresh heading into this season with a fresh draft, where all league members know that you will be able to keep X number of players next season.

This then opens a whole slew of questions, as there are literally hundreds of ways to handle keepers.

Fixed number.. everyone has to keep that many.

Max number - say, up to 4, each player costs a pick, ie one keeper, forfeit your first round pick, two players, your first two picks, etc. Don;t have a first round pick, you can;t keep any players.

Forfeit round drafted previously - as you noted, draft a player in the 10th, they cost you a 10th this year, or, a variant that I much prefer is you forfeit a pick X number of rounds above where they were drafted, usually between 1 and 3. So, if you got Chris Johnson in the 10th last year, you would forfeit a 7th-9th rounder depending on what your X number of rounds is.

As for determining future draft orders, well, IMO, if you are only keeping one or two players, then it should be a random order. If you keep 5-7, then it should be reverse order of the previous year's finish. It's the leagues that keep 3-5 that get tricky IMO, and I could see arguments for going either way. If you go with a full dynasty where you keep the entire roster, then I suggest the reverse order of previous year's standings, NFL style draft (non-serpentine)

That's the tip of the iceberg IMO.

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is unfair to implement keepers this season.

After some research, I'm liking:

- Players drafted in 1st two rounds the previous year are off-limits. This applies to players kept that required forfeit of a pick in the first two rounds.

- 0-2 keeper optional

- Each keeper requires owner to give up a draft pick two rounds higher than where the player was selected the previous year.

- Players can only be on a team's roster a max of 2 (or 3)years. Players kept additional years require forfeit of a draft pick two rounds earlier than the previous year.

- Draft order is determined by reverse order of finish the previous regular season or (owners pick draft spot in reverse order of finish previous year).

- Each keeper requires owner to give up a draft pick two rounds higher than where the player was selected the previous year.

- Players can only be on a team's roster a max of 2 (or 3)years. Players kept additional years require forfeit of a draft pick two rounds earlier than the previous year.

I don't think you need the 2nd rule here with the first in place. Just my opinion, but let's use the Chris Johnson in the 10th round example. This year, he cost an 8th. The next year, a 6th. With your rules, the owner would have to forfeit the player the next year. I say reward the owner and allow them to forfeit a 4th the next year and then a 2nd then be forced to let the player go.

In addition, the rule about not keeping players taken in the 1st two rounds is redundant when you must forfeit a pick two rounds higher. It doesn;t hurt to have it in there, it just doesn't help.

From a strategic perspective, expect to see the savvier owners that may be out of playoff contention dealing their players that were taken in the 1st or 2nd round later in the season for picks and/or younger talent taken late in the draft.