[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 Tour de France thread

Chavez

I don't understand all this Tour de France stuff but I do have one question from those who follow it and know their stuff- Does Lance win this year? If yes, why?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can win. If he does, it's cuz he's still a pretty good time-trialist (solo race) and he's still great at climbing the mountains. Riding is as much mental as it is physical and there's zero question that Lance has the mental part down as anyone has ever had.

Except in the marriage department. I still can't get over him ditching his wife after she had been at his side the entire time he had cancer, only for her to come down with the dreaded disease and find out Lance doesn't have the mental ability to be by HER side. He's a fine athlete, but as a man, he's less than to be desired. Sorry...rant over.

Except in the marriage department. I still can't get over him ditching his wife after she had been at his side the entire time he had cancer, only for her to come down with the dreaded disease and find out Lance doesn't have the mental ability to be by HER side. He's a fine athlete, but as a man, he's less than to be desired. Sorry...rant over.

Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer in Oct 1996, he met his ex in June 1997, married in May 1998.

If she was by his side during the cancer treatments, good for her, but I don't think she was. 7 months on he was probably at the tail end of treatment.

This doesn't mean Armstrong is or isn't a dick, but get the facts right.

Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer in Oct 1996, he met his ex in June 1997, married in May 1998.

If she was by his side during the cancer treatments, good for her, but I don't think she was. 7 months on he was probably at the tail end of treatment.

This doesn't mean Armstrong is or isn't a dick, but get the facts right.

Actually, he met his wife in JANUARY of 97, just weeks after going through intensive chemo. So yeah...she was by his side. I have a hard time respecting any man that goes through a horrendous ordeal such as that and then leaves his wife, no matter the circumstances, when she herself is diagnosed. Oh and to add fire to the pile, he just so happened to leave Sheryl Crow weeks before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. See the trend? He's a douchebag.

Edited by tazinib1

Actually, he met his wife in JANUARY of 97, just weeks after going through intensive chemo. So yeah...she was by his side. I have a hard time respecting any man that goes through a horrendous ordeal such as that and then leaves his wife, no matter the circumstances, when she herself is diagnosed. Oh and to add fire to the pile, he just so happened to leave Sheryl Crow weeks before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. See the trend? He's a douchebag.

All the more so because his cancer is apparently contagious! :wacko:

Anyway, it should be apparent from previous discussion in this thread that I'm no LA nut-gargler. But I am of the opinion that if you're looking for a role model starting with pro athletes is probably not the best idea.

Edited by Chavez

My personal feelings for Lance aside, the mother pucker can ride a damned bike like nobodies business.

I address that in my edit - all the people who thought Brett Favre was some sort of down-to-earth humble guy or that think/thought Jordan was some sort of paragon of class are on the same track.

On the field/court/wherever they're pretty well unassailable; off it, errrrr.....

Anyway, just finished watching stage 13 - fun stage to watch. Haussler had one heck of a ride and Txurruka's might have been slightly more impressive since he built all that time up AFTER attacking on the Col du Plazerwassel. Feillu also looks like a young rider to watch, with two podiums so far. Not to mention both the points and KOM spamshirts changed hands.

If you're watching for The Big Names you're probably bored, but I thought it was entertaining. Especially since being a big wuss I can't imagine riding in crap weather like that - all I'd be thinking is - "this sucks. This really sucks. Man this sucks. You know what sucks? This." etc etc.

Also, I think I'm going to keep an eye on the lantern rouge (the red lantern, or last place rider) - currently Kenny Van Hummel at 2h16'33" (26 minutes behind the next rider), which he's held since stage 6, increasing his gap from 24 seconds to his current mark. The upside for him is he's steadily moved up in the standings through attrition, from 177 to 164.

If you're watching for The Big Names you're probably bored, but I thought it was entertaining. Especially since being a big wuss I can't imagine riding in crap weather like that - all I'd be thinking is - "this sucks. This really sucks. Man this sucks. You know what sucks? This." etc etc.

werd

The weather ain't that big of a deal.

What's insane is riding downhill IN that weather. The balls it takes to get aero into some of them twisties is crazy.

The hell it isn't. Riding in the rain flat out sucks ass. Within about 5 minutes your shoes are filled with water, something that really starts to get old and the entire time your face is constantly pelted with fine silt, rocks, and mud. Rather than enjoying the slip stream of other riders, you get a face full of water rooster tailing off their back wheel. Good fun.

But yes, descending in that weather takes crazy to a new level

i have shoe covers that keep my feet dry, so they should have access to them too.

I've got something better. Enough sense not to ride in the rain anymore. Sometimes I get caught in a freak storm, but at this point, I have nothing to prove to anyone so I can afford to just skip a ride if the weather looks like crap.

well, aren't you special.

I wasn't telling YOU to ride in the rain and if you don't like it, that's fine, don't ride in it, I could not care less. I happen to enjoy the rain, but this isn't about you or I, but about pro-riders and if my wussy @ss likes the rain, then they most certainly don't care about it.

And that was my point, but hey, let's make it about you instead of the TdF.

For the record, this was actually about someone marveling at how nasty it looked riding in the rain, you telling him that it's no big deal, and me agreeing with him rather than you.

And for the record, I understand that these guys are more bad-ass than us and also understand that if you're going to compete at that level, you need to train and race, rain or shine. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck. I know cyclists who won't ride in the rain, I know cyclist who are willing to ride in the rain. Now it appears I know of one who actually likes it.

Edited by detlef

Does anyone know anything about Chrisophe Le Mevel? He was the OTHER guy who had a ton to gain on a successful breakaway, and if he can climb at all he might be trouble, though I doubt it; I figure his stay in the top 10 is one day and out.

He's a douchebag.

Hundreds of years from now, when cancer is remembered as a thing of the past, it will be remembered that Lance raised tens of millions of dollars helping rid the world of cancer.

No one will give a crap that he and his wife divorced, or that he and Cheryl Crow broke up.

And I am good with that.

Hundreds of years from now, when cancer is remembered as a thing of the past, it will be remembered that Lance raised tens of millions of dollars helping rid the world of cancer.

No one will give a crap that he and his wife divorced, or that he and Cheryl Crow broke up.

And I am good with that.

So am I. Doesn't mean I have to like him though. :wacko:

Mid-stage (about 75 km to go):

Wondering why Armstrong was towards the back of the peleton on the way up the Col des Mosses (most of the rest of Astana is at the front of the peleton). (Perhaps they are explaining it on English television, but from what I can gather on Swiss television, the announcers aren't quite sure why he is there either.)

Edit to update with about 44 km to go:

Armstrong is back again with the rest of Astana at the front of the peleton.

Edited by wiegie

1 km left:

Armstrong has nothing left (more than 1:15 back now).

Still one heck of a ride by LA. He kept up with the best of the best up until the last bit of the climb.

Still one heck of a ride by LA. He kept up with the best of the best up until the last bit of the climb.

So does anyone think Sookie will hook up with Eric ? Sorry all these spoilers made me think this was a true blood thread

:wacko:

Edited by whomper

umm, if he and crow broke up BEFORE she was diagnosed with cancer, how does that point to a "trend"?

well, kind of a weird day for those of us pulling for lance this year. clearly, contador established that he is the strongest rider in the tour. he just dusted everyone like it was nothing. lance doesn't have an answer, nor does anyone else. BUT....armstrong is looking very strong for a podium finish, which, I have to say, is really freaking impressive for a man at his age, with 4 years away from the sport, with nothing really left to prove.