[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 Tour de France thread

Chavez

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty uneventful finale up ventoux, really. lance just marked frank schleck easily every time he tried to attack, and that was it. I was kind of wanting lance to attack himself, because he looked very strong and composed the whole climb, but he had nothing really to gain. he wasn't putting over a minute into andy schleck to get second, not the way that guy is climbing. so the only drama was whether frank or wiggins could put time into lance, and there just wasn't any drama, lance owned 'em.

I have to say, 3rd place this year, under these circumstances, is one of lance armstrong's most impressive performances to date. I mean, consider the guy was away from the sport for 3 and a half years, he comes back, he's old for a cyclist at 37, he breaks his collarbone in training, he ends up sacrificing his own time on a couple different stages to help pad contador's hold on yellow, and he is still on the podium ahead of some very good riders. contador was in another league this year. but if lance had his own team riding for him, I think he probably gets second. this year was a lot better than last. next year will be interesting.

Stage aside (man, those top 5 guys sure EARNED their spots), I thought some of the interviews with LA were pretty interesting; makes me about 100% certain that the reports of friction on Astana were spot-on - when talking about the Radio Shack team (next year THREE U.S teams in the TdF!), Armstrong was talking about the team in place and how he wanted to keep working with his teammates "like Kloden, Horner, and Levi"....uh, miss someone there, Lance?

And then when asked if he felt Contador was obligated to help him on Ventoux, his quote was "I'm going to bite my tongue on that one."

Stage aside (man, those top 5 guys sure EARNED their spots), I thought some of the interviews with LA were pretty interesting; makes me about 100% certain that the reports of friction on Astana were spot-on - when talking about the Radio Shack team (next year THREE U.S teams in the TdF!), Armstrong was talking about the team in place and how he wanted to keep working with his teammates "like Kloden, Horner, and Levi"....uh, miss someone there, Lance?

And then when asked if he felt Contador was obligated to help him on Ventoux, his quote was "I'm going to bite my tongue on that one."

You know, I'm sort of sick of Armstrong's act with respect to Contador. Contador was the strongest guy on that team this tour, so why the hell shouldn't he have done what he could to win? And it wasn't as if the agreement going in was that it was Lance's team or why did Contador's jersey end in a 1 and Armstrong's in a 2? Years ago, we all got pissed when LeMond wasn't able to take his shot at yellow and rather had to support Hinault. That's what it would have been like if Contador had to play nice with Armstrong. The younger and likely better rider having to sacrifice for the old guy.

If Contador's moves hadn't resulted in his winning and also, along the way cost Armstrong a shot, then there'd be a reason to b!tch. But that's not how it worked out. The strongest rider in the tour won the tour. End of story. As Azz pointed out, there was essentially no drama yesterday save Wiggins holding on to 4th, but that had nothing to do with Astana or Armstrong. Contador didn't have to do anything for Armstrong because there was nothing to do. Armstrong wasn't going to put a minute into 2nd place and none of the guys behind him were able to put any time into him.

You know, I'm sort of sick of Armstrong's act with respect to Contador. Contador was the strongest guy on that team this tour, so why the hell shouldn't he have done what he could to win? And it wasn't as if the agreement going in was that it was Lance's team or why did Contador's jersey end in a 1 and Armstrong's in a 2? Years ago, we all got pissed when LeMond wasn't able to take his shot at yellow and rather had to support Hinault. That's what it would have been like if Contador had to play nice with Armstrong. The younger and likely better rider having to sacrifice for the old guy.

If Contador's moves hadn't resulted in his winning and also, along the way cost Armstrong a shot, then there'd be a reason to b!tch. But that's not how it worked out. The strongest rider in the tour won the tour. End of story. As Azz pointed out, there was essentially no drama yesterday save Wiggins holding on to 4th, but that had nothing to do with Astana or Armstrong. Contador didn't have to do anything for Armstrong because there was nothing to do. Armstrong wasn't going to put a minute into 2nd place and none of the guys behind him were able to put any time into him.

the only thing contador did that I thought was a real dick move was attacking late on that stage in the pyrennes, when armstrong stood just ahead of him in the standings, and basically when his teammates (particularly armstrong) were obliged out of team tactics not to try and respond, but just to suck the wheel of everyone else left behind. attacking on verbier didn't bother me, that was a move to win the tour and he proved his dominance. good for him. and the thing when he dropped kloden....that was just more of a boneheaded tactical blunder than anything d00shey.

I don't really blame contador for being put off by the whole situation. and I don't really blame lance for expecting a little respect himself. and johan, he just managed the whole thing as best he could. it's nobody's fault, and nobody's the bad guy really, just everybody trying to accomplish their own goals in a tricky situation.