[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Keeper decision.. Brees or Megatron... please help

I have the choice of keeping Brees in the third round (32nd overall pick last year of keeper eligibility) or keeping Calvin Johnson in the 4th round (41st overall pick with one more year of eligibility after this season). Some sites including the Huddle have Johnson as the more valuable player and therefore getting him with a lower pick and an extra eligibility year seems like a no-brainer but... Brees is the highest scoring player in my league and it seems when you have a top tier QB in my league you are guaranteed a playoff spot... tough choice for me... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... My other keeper is Slaton.

12 team league. This is NOT a PPR...

start:

1QB

1RB

2WR

1 RB/WR

1TE

1DEF

scoring is yardage heavy.... QBs yardage counts half as much as RB/WR yardage (but as you know QBs will often throw for 3 to 4 times as many yards) and pass TDs are equal to running and rec TDs...

A lot of keepers in this league pulls a lot of big names off of the board (between 24 and 30 players will be kept) and therefore players will go a lot ealier than you would normally expect. Brees in the 3rd and Johnson in the 4th are big bargains in this league.

Edited by MmmMmmGood

I'm going to go against my normal advice here and actually suggest you keep Brees (unless this is an 8 team league)

Assuming each team only keeps two players, and having a fairly low number of required WRs and no PPR, I just don't see the potential for CJ to provide a hugh value benefit (he's also on my list of the top 10 from last year most likely to fall out of the top 10 this year, so take this input with a grain of salt). However, Brees could be looking at a 1-2 pt per game benefit in value over more standard setup leagues just from the passing yardage rules (assuming you are 1 pt per 20 as oppossed to the more standard 1 pt per 25) if, and it is a big if, he is able to come close to last year's yardage numbers.

I'm not sure if this input is predicated more on my own cautious approach to Calvin as it is to the thought the Brees is more likely to come close to last year's numbers.

Now, if you were to tell me you anticipate every team to keep a WR and just about none to keep a QB, then I may adjust this based on who is likely to be available in the draft (and would also need to take into consideration what pick you have)

I have the 8th overall pick in a 12 team league... keepers have not been announced yet but here are some of the guys I expect to be kept in this TIERED keeper system:

QB:

Brady

Romo

Rogers

Ryan

RB

Chris Johnson

Michael Turner

Deangelo Williams

Peterson

Slaton

Portis

Forte

MJD

McFadden

Pierre Thomas

Graham

Felix Jones

Ryan Grant

WR

Boldin

Welker

Jennings

Marshall

Roddy White

Lance Moore

Antonio Bryant

As you can see the top QBs are kept except Manning... Many top RBs are kept ... but most of the top WRs are out there.. I will probably go WR in the first (maybe Andre Johnson) and then I expect a run of WRs to occur which will take most of the top 10 off the board by the time I pick in the 2nd round... then I'll be able to pick either a WR 10-12 or RB 15-18 I think.... Colston,TO, Bowe or Lynch Kev Smith, Marion Barber...

does that help???

Would you give the same advice if it was Reggie Wayne?

I think your bias against CJ is making the decision for you and that's perfectly acceptable.

But in a 1 QB league, I can't imagine a scoring setup that would have me pick a top three QB over a top five WR... especially at the cost-value of round four vs round three.

I had initially thought this thread was way too goofy for discussion, but I guess I'm not as smart as you think I am.

Why is this a goofy thread?? This is an ultra competitive league and I'm asking for serious advice.

I think when deciding between Brees and Johnson the scoring is everything. The scoring in this league is complex but it essentially rewards 2 points for every 10 yards for RBs and WRs and 1 point for every 10 yards for QBs. 6 points for every type of TD. QBs put up big numbers in this league and if you have a QB that puts up big numbers every week I do think it is a big advantage.

Would you give the same advice if it was Reggie Wayne?

I think your bias against CJ is making the decision for you and that's perfectly acceptable.

But in a 1 QB league, I can't imagine a scoring setup that would have me pick a top three QB over a top five WR... especially at the cost-value of round four vs round three.

I had initially thought this thread was way too goofy for discussion, but I guess I'm not as smart as you think I am.

I think you nailed it, and I think I called it out that at this point, I have a fairly low level of confidence in CJ repeating as a top 5 WR.

I beleieve you can get comprable value at WR this year and years to come, but there is very few top notch QB's coming in and they take longer to develop as a norm than a WR, so, I'd lock Brees up in this situation especially playing for a play caller like Peyton in NO. I'd say Brees would be a no brainer for you in this situation.

Why is this a goofy thread?? This is an ultra competitive league and I'm asking for serious advice.

I think when deciding between Brees and Johnson the scoring is everything. The scoring in this league is complex but it essentially rewards 2 points for every 10 yards for RBs and WRs and 1 point for every 10 yards for QBs. 6 points for every type of TD. QBs put up big numbers in this league and if you have a QB that puts up big numbers every week I do think it is a big advantage.

This is where your thinking is getting a bit flawed. Raw scoring is not key, it is the differential between the players within the position. Generally speaking, in most scoring systems, QBs in general score very similarly when compared to the spread between the top backs and the lower tier starters and the same goes for WRs.

I have said that I am not the biggest fan of CJ this year, but you have to determine if he will outscore the other WRs you would be looking at in the draft by more than Brees will outscore the QBs that would be available. Based on most people's views of CJ, I would think most would lean his way over Brees, more so if it were a PPR league.

Based on who you project to be kept though, I think it is an even tougher decision, even if I had higher expectations for CJ. Brees is the last of the "elite" QBs, so you would definitely be looking at a 2nd tier QB if you let him go assuming he is taken in the first 7 picks, however, there are still quite a few top level WRs available in the draft, such that you would be able to get CJ or a comparable WR most likely with the 8th pick. The caveat is just how does your league shake out valuewise? If you feel CJ is still going to put up top 5 numbers, and the value shakes out as is the norm in most 1 QB leagues, would you be better suited keeping CJ for a 4th, looking at another top WR in the first round and then going BPA in the 2nd to address the Qb or flex spot then filling the other spot in the 3rd? I certainly feel that a very strong argument could be made to this approach. If you keep Brees, then you essentially follow the same pattern as above, just that you would not be filling the flex spot until the 4th round.

ETA: While it is a closer call, I still lean to keeping Brees.

Edited by Big Country

This is where your thinking is getting a bit flawed. Raw scoring is not key, it is the differential between the players within the position. Generally speaking, in most scoring systems, QBs in general score very similarly when compared to the spread between the top backs and the lower tier starters and the same goes for WRs.

As a long-time baseball stats guy I have a good understanding of what sabermetricians called "replacement value". And I do indeed understand and to an extent agree with your point. I also think raw scoring and consistent scoring needs to be considered as well...

Another way to slice this debate is to look at a few scenarios... Here are a few ways my first few rounds could go with Slaton as a keeper later in the draft... which plan do you like best??

Plan one: Keep Brees and Slaton:

1.Andre Johnson

2.Colston/Bowe

3.Brees

4.Parker/Addai/KnoMo (might slip here)

Slaton

Plan one A (added this one in after post was created) Keep Brees but go RB in round 2.

1.Andre Johnson

2.Kev Smith/Lynch/LJ????

3.Brees

4.Braylan Edwards/Berrian??

Slaton

Plan two: Keep Calvin Johnson pick Manning in 2nd

1.Andre Johnson

2.Manning

3.LJ/Addai/Parker

4.Calvin Johnson

Slaton

Plan 3: Keep Calvin Johnson go RB in 2nd and pick Warner in third

1. Andre Johnson

2. Lynch/LJ/Parker/Addai/Kev Smith

3. Warner

4. Calvin Johnson

Slaton

Which plan looks best to you guys???

Edited by MmmMmmGood

:D Slowly but Shirley, you are being converted.

Nah, just always willing to look at the details of each situation. On the surface, one might quickly jump on the CJ for a 4th option, as it presents a great value (unless you are a CJ doubter this year)

Because I thought the players and values made it such an easy choice that it was silly to start such a thread. I mean CJ for a 4th and Brees for a 3rd?

Big Country, Capt. Waffle and tazinib1 all share the same different opinion than I have and since I respect them, clearly, I'm the idiot this time. :wacko:

Opie makes a valid point, he is the idiot.. j/k In most scenarios in today's more standard setup (PPR scoring and 3 WR minimum) this would more likely be an easy CJ situation, even though I do not see him performing at last year's levels, the potential for him to do so is there.

This all depends upon where those that are keeping a QB pick. If you are picking at 1.8 and the back half of the draft all have there QB's, then this entire debate changes.

It also matters where the owners that have kept a WR are picking. If most of the guys in front of you are keeping a WR, it is that much safer to let CJ go and lock up Brees. If the WRs are all kept by players picking after you, you have a tougher choice as more WRs are likely to come off the board in front of you.

So, since I haven't said it yet...... can you trade before you have to declare?

Also, further good news is that with the situation being so close, I really don't think you can truly go wrong with either option.

Wow, your scoring system devalues TDs with the higher than normal yardage points. Considering Brees HUGE passing yardage, his point advantage over other QBs is much larger than in standard leagues. I love Calvin and am keeping him (PPR league), but this is a no brainer in my opinion. I think Brees may be worth the #1 overall pick in your league if it were a redraft. He is safe to repeat his numbers, and those numbers are worth more in your league!

Wow, your scoring system devalues TDs with the higher than normal yardage points. Considering Brees HUGE passing yardage, his point advantage over other QBs is much larger than in standard leagues. I love Calvin and am keeping him (PPR league), but this is a no brainer in my opinion. I think Brees may be worth the #1 overall pick in your league if it were a redraft. He is safe to repeat his numbers, and those numbers are worth more in your league!

Kiser....

thanks for the reply... I found your analysis really helpful. This is my main league and I always played the standard way prioritizing RBs and WRs but I think this is a league where a QB that gets a lot of yards really rules... It is a yardage heavy league in general which I do enjoy.... still unsure which way to go... which of the following two scenarios sounds most appealing???

ONE:

Brees

Slaton

rb pick 41 (Thomas Jones/KnoMo)

Andre Johnson

Marques Colston

TWO:

Manning

Slaton

RB pick 32 (Addai/Parker/Bush)

Calvin Johnson

Andre Johnson

Kiser....

thanks for the reply... I found your analysis really helpful. This is my main league and I always played the standard way prioritizing RBs and WRs but I think this is a league where a QB that gets a lot of yards really rules... It is a yardage heavy league in general which I do enjoy.... still unsure which way to go... which of the following two scenarios sounds most appealing???

ONE:

Brees

Slaton

rb pick 41 (Thomas Jones/KnoMo)

Andre Johnson

Marques Colston

TWO:

Manning

Slaton

RB pick 32 (Addai/Parker/Bush)

Calvin Johnson

Andre Johnson

Can you realistically get Manning in round 2? With that scoring system, I'd think that top tier QBs would go off the board fast (6pts for all TDs including passing?). I don't think I'd gamble that he'd be there and I'd keep Brees and go with team 1. I like the looks of team 2 better, but it is a gamble that Peyton will be there in round 2. Take the sure thing (Brees), and build from there.

2008:

Brees 5069/34 = 710 pts

Manning 4002/27 = 562pts

Difference = 9.25pt/gm

I do expect these two to get closer together in 2008, but I would not gamble. Keep Brees to ensure you have a huge advantage over almost every other team in the league.

Can you post what the top 12 QBs scored last year and a sampling of the top 18 RBs and top 30 WRs? Trying to get a gauge of what the scoring range is like with this scoring system.

OK below I listed top 20 QBs, top 30 RBs and top 30 WRs from the 2008 season. A note about the scoring... the scoring guidelines I gave earlier are good approximates to resemble standard leagues... the scales I gave are accurate but our league scoring is actually higher by a factor of 10... every rushing and rec yard is worth 2 points, every passing yard is worth 1 point, every kind of TD is worth 60 points, fumbles and ints are minus 45... that's why the raw points totals seem high. In a really unorthadox move my commissioner DEDUCTS 2 points for each carry and reception to reward yards per carry and yards per reception. I know the scoring seems odd but we are all very happy and we have not had any turnover in this league for 8 years...

QBs top 20

Player FPTS

Brees, Drew QB NO 5668

Cutler, Jay QB CHI 4984

Rivers, Philip QB SD 4929

Rodgers, Aaron QB GB 4844

Warner, Kurt QB ARI 4741

Manning, Peyton QB IND 4654

McNabb, Donovan QB PHI 4218

Pennington, Chad QB MIA 4002

Cassel, Matt QB KC 3995

Garrard, David QB JAC 3580