[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Advice

babe3927

I'm in a very competitive League. Non PPR.

QB 4pts TD, -2pts Int, 1pt/ 20yrds

Re TD 6pts,bonus 1pt rec. over 20yds

Ru. TD 6pts, 1 pt/10yrds, bounus 1pt rush over 20yrds

My question stems from the fact that we are changing the amount of teams from 12 to 14.

That is going to change the landscape of the draft. I've never been in a draft with that many teams.

I can only assume that the player pool gets real thin real quick. Does anyone have any advice on draft strategy and what positions

I should grab first/second. Our draft order hasn't been set yet. We have a draft order party about a week before our draft which will be at the end on August. What position should I be hoping for?

I always like to get a RB right off the hop (1st round) and a sure fire guy that won't split time. I remember back i the late 90s everyone and their dog picked RBs..but lately, because of the split systems, teams are slowly moving towards WR in the later 1srt round , early 2nd round picks.

Personally, I'd want 1st overall, but if that's not gonna happen then I'd want mid to late 1st round. You can score a Steve Slaton and get a Brady or a Moss on the way back. I guess I don't really have advice, but I'd say don't pass up a tier 1 receiver monster just to get a back that'll split time (IE Barber) in the 2nd round because you're used to drafting RBs.

Thanks for the advice so far. But will the RBs dry up quicker with 14 teams? Should I possibly be trying to grab them up before they thin out to much? Of course the same can be said with WRs. I try to not have a set order going into the draft but instead pick best available in the first 3/4 rounds. Has anyone drafted in 14 team league. How fast does talent drain?

Thanks for the advice so far. But will the RBs dry up quicker with 14 teams? Should I possibly be trying to grab them up before they thin out to much? Of course the same can be said with WRs. I try to not have a set order going into the draft but instead pick best available in the first 3/4 rounds. Has anyone drafted in 14 team league. How fast does talent drain?

You will find that a very high % of players here have graduated from 12 team leagues to 14/16 teamers. The advice given here is the best on the web.

I'd be hoping for a 1-6 or 11-14 position. Anything in the middle is nasty.

ETA: Roster/Starter requirements needed as well.

Edited by tazinib1

Sorry about that. We start

QB, 2 RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def.

8 bench

Interesting that you have no flex. I'd definitely go RB/WR or WR/WR if you are dealt a late pick. There are numerous 3rd/4th round RB's that can fill out your RB slots but the drop off at WR at round 3+ is significant.

Sorry about that. We start

QB, 2 RB, 2WR, TE, K, Def.

8 bench

Since many leagues these days start 3 WRs AND have a flex, you'll find that what you may consider to be a depleted talented pool based on your past is actually what most of us are used to.

SO much of the strategy of what players to consider will be dependent on where you pick. With only two required WR starters and no PPR scoring, I would have a tough time reccomending a WR at just about any point in the first round no matter what draft position you have. The 2nd round will completely depend on how the first round and second round up to your pick go, You'll have to have a threshold of where you take an RB over a WR and vice versa. Even with 14 teams, I would not reccomend going QB in the first 4-5 rounds unless you have a later pick and one of the big 3 falls to you in the 3rd/4th.

I always say that it's okay to have a draft plan/strategy going into a draft but that you must remain flexible to change at any moment as you should draft based on taking BPA, selecting when great value represents itself, filling out a solid core starting lineup while making sure to get competent RB depth. But be sure to leave the 3rd round with at least 1 RB. Wait on QBs and TEs.

I always say that it's okay to have a draft plan/strategy going into a draft but that you must remain flexible to change at any moment as you should draft based on taking BPA, selecting when great value represents itself, filling out a solid core starting lineup while making sure to get competent RB depth. But be sure to leave the 3rd round with at least 1 RB. Wait on QBs and TEs.

Great advice from you and Big Country. That's why I keep coming back to the Huddle.