[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League Advice....C. Johnson or Forte

lamaise

I am in a keeper league where each team is allowed to keep one player not drafted in the first three rounds of the previous season....I ended up drafting both Forte and Chris Johnson last season in the middle rounds and am having an incredibly tough time deciding on who to keep for this season. I keep on going back and forth and would love to get some additional thoughts on this...

thanks

Edited by lamaise

I like Chris Johnson over M. Forte. Forte's role in the passing game has been rumored to decrease plus they have Kevin Jones in backup and he is a smooth pass catcher. 2008 stats have Forte with 315 carries for 1231 yds and 8 TDs. Chris Johnson had 251 carries for 1228 yds and 9 TDs. As far as receptions goes, Forte had 64 catches for 484 yds and 4 receiving TDs. Chris Johnson had 43 catches for 260 yds. and 1 receiving TD. I'm betting Chicago scales down Forte's receptions to closer to Johnson's receptions if not lower with Kevin Jones there. The math tells me that Chris Johnson fares better in 09 even with L. White stealing goal line carries.

While reducing Forte's 3rd down work makes since, I doubt that it actually happens. One of the things I was so impressed with watching Forte last year is how complete a back he is at such a young age. I think the fact that he's a superior blocker to KJones will keep Forte on the field on 3rd downs. I could see KJones stealing carries, but I don't see Forte's receptions going down that much. I think Forte is the safer pick, but I think CJohnson is the more explosive/talented runner. I usually go with the safer choice in the first round and feel Forte is that choice.