[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ideal Drafting Spot

fpuma

Our draft posistions will be determined today at 12:30. The commish draws names from a hat and then lets that person choose their draft spot. I am trying to get a feel for where the best spot to draft in this years draft? I tend to like the mid to late pic. This is a 12 man league with standard performance scoring and PPR.

What is your opinion?

I like spots 3,4 or 9,10. Close enough to the turn to have a good idea who is going to get taken before your next pick, but close enough to the middle to still be able to take advantage of players who have fallen for value picks. 9,10 can go WR early and count on guys like RGrant and KSmith being available in the 3rd or 4th round. Picking at 3 or 4 overall gets you a great RB in the first and a couple good WRs or a stud RB that has fallen.

Our draft posistions will be determined today at 12:30. The commish draws names from a hat and then lets that person choose their draft spot. I am trying to get a feel for where the best spot to draft in this years draft? I tend to like the mid to late pic. This is a 12 man league with standard performance scoring and PPR.

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that you should draft about 20+ times from every single draft spot and develop several different strategies before you ever attempt to draft a real team. I break it down like this, spots 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. I advise that you develop specific strategies for each of the 3 general areas. Later into your preparation you can develop more specific strategies for spots 11-12 for example because certain spots do offer a more specific set of possibly outcomes. If you do that you'll know the drop off points at every single position in every round and you'll be able to develop a sixth sense of sorts as far as what player(s) will be available at what spot(s) in each round. Only when you know these drop off points can you really begin to develop any real strategy involving targeting specific players ( I do NOT believe in ''tiers'' I don't try to group 10 players together and say they will all end up with about the same stats. I try to figure out who the #1 guy is out of those ten and target him every draft). You do NOT want to overpay for any player, you want value with every single pick. I end up mocking a few hundred times each year before I ever draft a real team and some will call that overkill but those people rarely win it all. I call it being very prepared. Put in more time/work that you feel any reasonable (or unreasonable) person would ever put in. I enter each draft feeling like I am the most prepared/knowledgeable person in the room by far and as long as you get to that point it doesn't really matter what spot you end up with because you should walk away with what you feel is the best team on paper in your league regardless of your draft spot almost every time.

Edited by xPattonx

My opinion is that you should draft about 20+ times from every single draft spot and develop several different strategies before you ever attempt to draft a real team. I break it down like this, spots 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12. I advise that you develop specific strategies for each of the 3 general areas. Later into your preparation you can develop more specific strategies for spots 11-12 for example because certain spots do offer a more specific set of possibly outcomes. If you do that you'll know the drop off points at every single position in every round and you'll be able to develop a sixth sense of sorts as far as what player(s) will be available at what spot(s) in each round. Only when you know these drop off points can you really begin to develop any real strategy involving targeting specific players ( I do NOT believe in ''tiers'' I don't try to group 10 players together and say they will all end up with about the same stats. I try to figure out who the #1 guy is out of those ten and target him every draft). You do NOT want to overpay for any player, you want value with every single pick. I end up mocking a few hundred times each year before I ever draft a real team and some will call that overkill but those people rarely win it all. I call it being very prepared. Put in more time/work that you feel any reasonable (or unreasonable) person would ever put in. I enter each draft feeling like I am the most prepared/knowledgeable person in the room by far and as long as you get to that point it doesn't really matter what spot you end up with because you should walk away with what you feel is the best team on paper in your league regardless of your draft spot almost every time.

Henry Muto Lite.

:wacko:

I suggest you get into about 20 $50 to $100 entry drafts and use those as "mock" drafts to get a real feel for where players are going then jump in your $1,000 to $25,000 league entry leagues with confidence of knowing where the players are going. Start drafting today and do at least 1 real money "mock" $50 to $100 draft for the next 3 weeks to get you ready for the real deal when you go big and play WCFF or NFFC or whatever else you want to do

:wacko:

:D

I put in about an hour and a half to create my first cheat sheet for a redraft league, and then the other two take about an hour each to set up with the first being used as a template.

I'd love to get into a league with patton & Muto and see who prevails.

As far as ideal draft spot, this is the first year in about the last 4-5 where I think 1.01 is the best spot in the draft. 1.02 through 1.04 aren't bad either, but AD is ruling the roost right now. I think there is a distinct advantage being at or near the top this year.

I put in about an hour and a half to create my first cheat sheet for a redraft league, and then the other two take about an hour each to set up with the first being used as a template.

I'd love to get into a league with patton & Muto and see who prevails.

As far as ideal draft spot, this is the first year in about the last 4-5 where I think 1.01 is the best spot in the draft. 1.02 through 1.04 aren't bad either, but AD is ruling the roost right now. I think there is a distinct advantage being at or near the top this year.

I actually disagree completely. The last draft spot I want in #1, especially in a PPR league. I understand the risks of taking either Forte or MJD at #1 and those would be who I'm taking. ADP is not the #1 overall RB in PPR and then you have to wait the longest for your 2nd pick. I would rather 1.02-1.04 to having 1.01 and would actually much rather have a late first round pick.

Edited by irish