[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Handcuffs

STL Fan

My question is - when is a handcuff not really a handcuff. I mean, I draft a lot of running backs that could be considered handcuffs, but present the owner with at least SOME production on a weekly basis if necessary...

I guess what I am getting at is, there are very few instances where a true handcuff pays off. Hardly worth the roster spot, especially in leagues with short rosters to begin with. There are plenty of mid to lower level running backs with upside and opportunity, so these days I tend to just draft some of those and hope to strike gold.

Concur. I tend to take flyers on guys with positive upside and hope that 1 or 2 of them hit as opposed to grabbing handcuffs. Also, if you do handcuff, in general, you probably want to handcuff on teams with good OLines and teams that are successful running the ball. That'll greatly improve the chances of the backup being able to produce. For example, Carolina (D Williams/J. Stewart), NYG (B. Jacobs/A. Bradshaw), Philly (B. Westy/L. McCoy), TB (E. Graham/D. Ward), and Minn (ADP/C. Taylor).

Sometimes, it's tempting to grab multiple guys on less successful teams hoping that one of them will assert themselves. But is it really worth it to have the McFadden/Fargas/Bush combo from the Raiders tying up multiple roster spots or maybe just 1 of the 3 or none? Or do you really want both C. Benson and B. Scott from the Bengals?

I agree that Sproles has value of his own, I am not sure he is the handcuff that you may expect. If LT goes down, that position becomes more of a RBBC. In the two games that Sproles started during the playoffs, he got banged up pretty badly (though not injured). I think his size would play into overall durability and see the Chargers turn more to Johnson or Bennett for workhorse carries. Don't forget about Jacob Hester either!