[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Manager

Sack_Daddy

Hi There,

Im from Australia and i'm new to NFL Fantasy, i have just joined a pretty serious fantasy league with some freinds who rate themselves pretty highly.

I have very little fantasy knowledge and my draft is in 4 days 'Thu Aug 13 6:00am PDT', My League details are :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Fractional Points: No

Negative Points: Yes

Scoring Type: Head to Head

Offense League Value

Passing Yards 25 yards per point

Passing Touchdowns 4

Interceptions -1

Rushing Yards 10 yards per point

Rushing Touchdowns 6

Reception Yards 10 yards per point

Reception Touchdowns 6

Return Touchdowns 6

2-Point Conversions 2

Fumbles Lost -2

Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

Kickers League Value

Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3

Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3

Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3

Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4

Field Goals 50+ Yards 5

Point After Attempt Made 1

Defense/Special Teams League Value

Sack 1

Interception 2

Fumble Recovery 2

Touchdown 6

Safety 2

Block Kick 2

Points Allowed 0 points 10

Points Allowed 1-6 points 7

Points Allowed 7-13 points 4

Points Allowed 14-20 points 1

Points Allowed 21-27 points 0

Points Allowed 28-34 points -1

Points Allowed 35+ points -4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the 2nd pick in the draft, and id like to select Larry Fitzgerald (fav player).....can anyone help me out, i really dont want to fail in my rookie season.

Thanks

Sack!

I would not take Fitz with the 2nd pick in a non PPR league. You won't get him on the turn so you might just have to go without your fav player. Its not a horrible move, but I'd rather have any of the top 3 backs before a WR.

Oh..and welcome to the mad addiction of Fantasy Football. I strongly suggest you watch the following video to make sure you understand what you are in for and the possible ramifications of getting too deeply involved.

Thanks Mate,

Video is a classic, and hitting that low does worry me, because i just about sunk that low at NBA Fantasy.

Afew Details i forgot, the 10 team league is going to introduce keepers at the end of the season...so all players will be available in this Draft.

How do i plan a draft strategy, is there a secret?

SaCk!

Rule #1: Do not pick a player b/c he is your fav or from your team!

Other things to think about:

Look to fill your starting line up earlier in the draft, but you must at least look at best available on the board

QB's in a 10 or even a 12 teamer can be picked up much later in the draft

Rank your top 10 QB's, 24 RB's and 24 WR's in order, then just tier out the rest in groups of 7-10

Keep track of your selected player's bye weeks to help select backup QB/K/D

You are a Rook, do NOT take advice from anyone in your league...they will steer you down the wrong road!

Though kicking is big in Australian FB, do not worry about a kicker until you have had at least 8 beers or round 11ish

Have fun!

Here 'ya go, I try to offer this same advice to any brand new owner that joins my local league:

ROUND 1: Don’t forget that KICKER is a primary scoring position, and you want to get the best one you can as

soon as possible. Quarterbacks and Running backs run 3 deep on every team in the NFL, so you can get them

anytime, but if you want a good kicker, you better grab one right away.

ROUND 2: Get a backup kicker as soon as you can after you get that first one. You never know when your primary

kicker is going to get hurt, and quality guys like Joe Nedney may not be waiting for you in round 3.

ROUND 3: In round three, you might consider getting a good quarterback or running back. But by then, all the

suckers who didn’t get their kickers may have taken the one you thought you wanted. Relax. Don’t be so hasty.

There are plenty left. Use round three to grab a good DEFENSE. Remember, this is not just a game of offense, and

you grabbed two offensive players in the first two rounds!

ROUND 4: Get a backup defense, because you will need it for the bye week. Plus, now you have two great

defenses, and you can rotate them!

ROUND 5: Get your tight end.

ROUND 6: Now it is time to start focusing on the other positions a little bit. Carefully watch what the other

owners have done. Chances are many of them jumped on that silly old QB and RB “bandwagon” in the first rounds.

So there are probably more good wide receivers left than anything. I know what you are thinking—“there are

probably close to 200 receivers in the NFL, so why should I grab one now?” That is a smart thought, but you can

get a real STUD that will win your season in this round. Remember, Jabbar Gaffney won’t be around forever!

ROUND 7: You have an awesome start. But now it is time to be shrewd about this. Remember how you grabbed

those kickers right out from everyone’s noses? Pull a sly one right now—grab the best remaining kicker off the

board. Use him as TRADE BAIT when the season starts. Just call this your “insurance policy” for the season.

Olindo Mare in the glove compartment is just what you may need when one of your other players gets hurt, bub.

ROUND 8: Time to choose a quarterback. Do this very carefully. Also—some people may have already taken one

by now! You need a proven leader who has been in the league a while. Don’t take a chance on a young guy that is

unstable or throws the ball too much—they throw a lot of interceptions. Be an astute statistician. Last year there

were some QBs that have been in the league a while and threw hardly any interceptions (such as Kyle Boller,

Matt Leinart and Seneca Wallace). Think carefully on this one, and remember—Jon Kitna won’t be waiting around

forever!

ROUND 9: Get your “trade bait” defense right now, while no one is expecting it!!! DO IT NOW!!!

ROUND 10: Snag another wide receiver. You can’t have too many of these guys. Be careful, as some owners have

already been looking the wide receivers over. You have the advantage because you got one in round six! Now it is

time to think carefully about who complements your other receiver best. If you got a “burner” who can run the 40

in less than 6 seconds, maybe you should grab a “possession guy” who is big and able to pull the ball into his

body. That would really start rounding out your roster well in a non-PPR league.

ROUND 11: You had better get your backup tight end at this point. They will all be gone any minute now.

ROUND 12: We have put it off long enough. Some would say it is a bit soon, but trust me, I have been doing

fantasy football for years. You better get yourself a quality running back. Remember, his running yards and

receiving yards both count. So you may want to grab someone like Fred Jackson if someone didn’t jump the gun

and snag him out from under you. Usually fullbacks catch more, so definitely comb them over well. And

remember—Mike Sellers won’t be waiting around forever.

ROUND 13: Time to get another tight end. I know it seems rather soon, but you can’t have

enough of ‘em.

ROUND 14: Another defense.

ROUND 15: Get another wide receiver right now, and start talking trade with some of the other owners—start

rubbing Joe Nedney under their noses and they may just start breaking down before the draft is even over!

ROUND 16: Get yourself another running back, since you need two to start. Remember that you got a guy who

can catch in round 12, so this time look for a true runner. There should be plenty of quality guys left. There are

lots of running backs in the NFL. You never know—Frank Gore just might wait around forever...

ROUND 17: You had better get yourself a good backup quarterback right about now. A good idea is to grab one on

the same team as the quarterback you drafted in round 8. That way, if one of them gets hurt, you have the other

guy ready to go off the bench! Remember—be smart about this! Fantasy football is a game of STRATEGY.

ROUND 18+: These, my friend, are YOUR rounds. I have helped you through 17 of them, and now it is time to grow and

develop into a true owner. Take control of these picks and use them wisely. Might you need another running back? Is

there some sleeper out there who just gives you a good feeling? Will Tiki Barber pop up on some team soon?

Be cool about this one, too. Use your best poker face. Think it through. But if you can’t decide, you could just

mess everyone else up in the last round and grab another kicker!

:wacko:

I have the 2nd pick in the draft, and id like to select Larry Fitzgerald (fav player).....can anyone help me out, i really dont want to fail in my rookie season.

You could pick Fitzgerald, but chances are you'll be passing on a more valuable player. Just take Peterson or Jones-Drew and go from there.