[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top Chef: Las Vegas

TDFFFreak

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why but I stopped watching this season 3 shows in..has it gotten better?

I think this season has the most talent to date. Brian, Mike, Kevin, and Jenn would be a hell of a final four (if Jenn wakes up from her past two week slumber). Eli can go.

Have to say though, I've eaten at the Woodfire Grill and wasn't all that impressed. It was fine, but some of the things Kevin is putting out for the show look amazing.

I think this season has the most talent to date. Brian, Mike, Kevin, and Jenn would be a hell of a final four (if Jenn wakes up from her past two week slumber). Eli can go.

Have to say though, I've eaten at the Woodfire Grill and wasn't all that impressed. It was fine, but some of the things Kevin is putting out for the show look amazing.

Am I the only one that her sickness a couple of days past was her being really hung over? I'm thinking that under the pressure she may be hitting the bottle a bit.

Barring a disaster or the brothers ganging up on him, I'm rooting for Kevin. Looks like a great chef and a really nice guy.

Barring a disaster or the brothers ganging up on him, I'm rooting for Kevin. Looks like a great chef and a really nice guy.

If the final four are the Voltaggio brothers, Kevin, and Jenn, I think Mike will stand out. That may kill him or it may result in him winning but he's definitely the most adventurous while the other 3 are more creatively conservative while having more classical culinary know-how. When watching, I'm usually most interested in seeing the dishes he's going to come up with versus the others. If he executes those dishes well, he should have a good shot.

Like I mentioned earlier, the dishes Kevin has come up with on the show look fantastic. I can't figure out why there is such a disconnect between those dishes and what I ate at Woodfire Grill. Again, those dishes were ok, but certainly didn't stand out. I went there because he was working at Fife in Portland a few years back and the food there was great. At that time, he was sous chef, and while potentially more responsible for the execution (which was great), it wasn't his menu (which was also great). At Woodfire, it should be his menu.

By the way, it sounds like the final group will battle it out in Napa. While it doesn't sound like Keller will be involved, I would bet Cindy Pawlcyn will be involved in some way since she competed in Top Chef Masters and Mustards Grill is usually one of the first restaurants people think of when in Napa (behind FL). Should be a great location with plentiful fresh produce and wine. Hopefully they will be tasked with working with wines that are of a little higher quality than the Pigs & Pinot competition (which, btw, Kevin won using an Oregon Pinot and hazelnuts. Sokol Blosser's vineyards, like many OR vineyards, are surrounded by Hazelnut trees. Seemed like the result was a successful dish made even better with a little local knowledge. That said, Sokol Blosser's wines, now used in two episodes, are about as middle-of-the-road as they come).

By the way, it sounds like the final group will battle it out in Napa. While it doesn't sound like Keller will be involved, I would bet Cindy Pawlcyn will be involved in some way since she competed in Top Chef Masters and Mustards Grill is usually one of the first restaurants people think of when in Napa (behind FL). Should be a great location with plentiful fresh produce and wine. Hopefully they will be tasked with working with wines that are of a little higher quality than the Pigs & Pinot competition (which, btw, Kevin won using an Oregon Pinot and hazelnuts. Sokol Blosser's vineyards, like many OR vineyards, are surrounded by Hazelnut trees. Seemed like the result was a successful dish made even better with a little local knowledge. That said, Sokol Blosser's wines, now used in two episodes, are about as middle-of-the-road as they come).

I'm sure it depends on what wineries fork up the bucks. I'm sure they pay a pretty penny to be featured.

If it is in Napa I'm sure Michael Chiarello will be a featured judge.

God I wish Robin would just . . . be . . . gone.

It was interesting watching the Top chef reunion dinner last night. To think about all the restrictions, all the funny twists, and all the time limits, and then have to come up with some of this stuff without any recipies is nothing short of brilliance.

God I wish Robin would just . . . be . . . gone.

It was interesting watching the Top chef reunion dinner last night. To think about all the restrictions, all the funny twists, and all the time limits, and then have to come up with some of this stuff without any recipies is nothing short of brilliance.

I thought the reunion was painful to watch. Seems like Bravo wants to add a little "Real Housewives" drama to everything.

I thought the reunion was painful to watch. Seems like Bravo wants to add a little "Real Housewives" drama to everything.

+1. I have no desire to hear about the past controversies again. The soap opera bs is something I can do without. That will be the last Top Chef reunion show I watch unless cooking is to be featured.

+1. I have no desire to hear about the past controversies again. The soap opera bs is something I can do without. That will be the last Top Chef reunion show I watch unless cooking is to be featured.

+2...also annoying is the fact they seem to be trying to set Fabio up for some future TV role, he's not that charismatic/charming to be a TV host. As soon as I saw it was a re-union show I immediately reset all expectations from high entertainment to background noise level interest

+2...also annoying is the fact they seem to be trying to set Fabio up for some future TV role, he's not that charismatic/charming to be a TV host. As soon as I saw it was a re-union show I immediately reset all expectations from high entertainment to background noise level interest

+3 They've been filming Fabio doing each week's winning creations and putting them on their web site all season. Now he's hosting this. You watch, by next year he'll have his own show.

The dinner itself was kinda boring, the food was kinda boring. I do like the one group that said, screw cooking, you just laid $500 on us, we'll spend $50 on food and then rest on nice champaign. :wacko:

Edited by Kid Cid

I agree the drama was bullcrap.

I wsas more interested in hearing from the contestants their reasoning for certain food choices (like Hungs fruit loop powder) and specifically talk about how much pressure they are under.

The time + specific tasks + no receipies + limited resources is just crazy.

My fear is that they are making some of these chefs into celebrities like the tools on real World vs Road Rules nonsense.

Focus on the culinary competition!!!!!

I like this season due to the higher level of talent, but this drama crap has GOT to go. It's clear that they're making elimination decisions based on factors other than performance and it's driving me crazy. The bro v bro, old lady antagonist crap is ruining a perfectly good show. :wacko:

I don't know if Padme has recovered from Penn & Teller episode where it wasn't the first time she had buffalo (or whatever it was) testicles in her mouth. :wacko::D

Natalie Portman...oh the things I would do to you for 3.32 seconds.

I was on a flight with Portman once. Didn't seem nearly as hot in person for some reason.

also don't like how manufactured the "reunion" episode was and their selection of fabio to host it. enjoyed watching them all cook, but it seemed a little empty.

really hope this doesn't turn into another "lisa" season where robin isn't bad enough to boot.. and she makes it to the finals. was it last year or the year before that they did an nfl challenge... i liked how they recieved a certain amount of points... would be good if there was some sort of cumulative accrual, so that 1 bad week doesn't send someone home prematurely.

I certainly think Mike Isabella screwed the pooch badly enough to go home, but how many times can Robin be on the bottom before they kick her off? She clearly has no business being there; she's served the second-worst dish like 6 of 8 episodes (or however many there've been). I disagree with the idea that they're making decisions based on "drama", Mike I. was generating a lot more interesting drama, what with the misogyny and all. Plus, he's really strong. The show works best with a *villian*, a Hung or a Marcel who's clearly excellent, but rubs contestants (and viewers) the wrong way. Contestants (and viewers) just hate Robin because she's terrible. Oh yes, and annoying. That's not drama, that's just obnoxiousness.

Peace

policy

Very good episode last night. I was VERY surprised at which dish won, and the right person went home.

I think the best chefs will last until the end this season. I sure didnt think Hosea should have even made the finale last year . . . .

Also interesting challenge for "inspiration" that they had. Well done challenge, although the quickfire looked to be a real pain the tookus . . ..

• 3 weeks later...

If Jenn hadn't mentioned she was looking to grill the duck, Mike would've went home. Not sure why Tom decided to push on that aspect, he was originally blown away by the duckiness of the duck. I feel he wanted to give Mike another chance because he has been so strong. That egg Padma was served was by far the worst thing on any plate.