[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chevy Volt to get 230 MPG (yes 230) city fuel economy rating

TimC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Define performance please...

He's right about that. It's about the only thing, but... :wacko:

Anyway, there's this video of a 1970-something Datsun eating up other cars (specifically a 'vette) on youtube. They really do get better performance from the electric motors.

He's right about that. It's about the only thing, but... :wacko:

Anyway, there's this video of a 1970-something Datsun eating up other cars (specifically a 'vette) on youtube. They really do get better performance from the electric motors.

Sure, but if you notice that Datsun is stripped of everything to save weight because the battery is so damned heavy. I'm not saying they can't be quick and efficient (no drive train power loss for instance) but that is a specific case and not really good in every day traffic. You'll also notice that those batteries gie up the power easily butthey don't hold a charge very long. There's a fine balancing act that has to go on there.

Electric cars have better performance at lower revs too. Gas engines don't reach peak efficiency until they get around 4-6K RPMs going. That's why they need 6 gears to get to the speeds an electric motor can reach in one.

That's not entirely true. You are correct that the power band for most cars is in the 3k+ RPM range, but that has as much to do with gearing as where the engine is producing the most torque.

No, the reason internal combustion engines need multiple gears is because they don't have an infinite top end in RPMs like an electric motor does. An electric motor can just keep spinning faster and faster with no incremental powerloss or explosion potential. The reason for gears on an internal combustion engine is that they will eventually explode as the timing betwen when the new gas is vaporized in the cylinder overlaps with the current gas being ignited by the spark. So in order to achieve higher speeds, the gearing needs to be changed to accomodate for the fact that there is a hard limit as to how fast an IC engine can spin.

Sure, but if you notice that Datsun is stripped of everything to save weight because the battery is so damned heavy. I'm not saying they can't be quick and efficient (no drive train power loss for instance) but that is a specific case and not really good in every day traffic. You'll also notice that those batteries gie up the power easily butthey don't hold a charge very long. There's a fine balancing act that has to go on there.

That's not entirely true. You are correct that the power band for most cars is in the 3k+ RPM range, but that has as much to do with gearing as where the engine is producing the most torque.

No, the reason internal combustion engines need multiple gears is because they don't have an infinite top end in RPMs like an electric motor does. An electric motor can just keep spinning faster and faster with no incremental powerloss or explosion potential. The reason for gears on an internal combustion engine is that they will eventually explode as the timing betwen when the new gas is vaporized in the cylinder overlaps with the current gas being ignited by the spark. So in order to achieve higher speeds, the gearing needs to be changed to accomodate for the fact that there is a hard limit as to how fast an IC engine can spin.

I stand corrected then. Atomic is wrong about everything... :wacko:

So what are you disagreeing with me about? The electric motor has better performance at lower revs and at higher revs than an ICE's "power band". This means more torque at more revs and less need for gears.

Tell me what is "not entirely true" about what I said.

Electric engines don't idle. They only use the power when they need it. So, the stop and go shouldn't be as bad as it is in a gas powered car.

Not sure that technology they're employing in cars, but most of the wear and tear on my (A/C lifts) industrial batteries occurs in acceleration.

So what are you disagreeing with me about? The electric motor has better performance at lower revs and at higher revs than an ICE's "power band". This means more torque at more revs and less need for gears.

How does an electric motor on a car perform at over 150mph? Oh wait, there isn't one, see?...you are just wrong...:wacko:

I am essentially disagreeing with your conclusions, not your facts.

Electric cars have better performance at lower revs too. Gas engines don't reach peak efficiency until they get around 4-6K RPMs going. That's why they need 6 gears to get to the speeds an electric motor can reach in one.

What you says implies that ICE's need gears because their powerband is between 4K and 6K RPM. That is not true. They need gears because of a hard limitation as to the max RPM.

Once again, an electric motor doesn't need gears because there is no hard limitation (there is one but not likely to be reached in this application) as to the max RPM, therefore it can just keep spinning faster as the operator calls for speed. More torque at more revs has nothing to do with the need for gears.

How does an electric motor on a car perform at over 150mph? Oh wait, there isn't one, see?...you are just wrong...:wacko:

You are wrong.

the makers of the volt are supposedly aiming for a 0-60 time of 8.5-9.0 seconds. for reference, that's slower than a base model honda civic. not exactly blowing anyone's doors off.

So most articles are quoting the 5-6 seconds time your article originally stated.

This article clarifies that the unassisted ICE engine on the car will have a 0-60 of 8.5-9 seconds. Probably best to just wait and see what the car will do with both electric and gas though, because it's still a concept.

I am essentially disagreeing with your conclusions, not your facts.

What you says implies that ICE's need gears because their powerband is between 4K and 6K RPM. That is not true. They need gears because of a hard limitation as to the max RPM.

What you're saying makes no sense. If the only limitation of ICE is the max RPM, then why not just put one huge gear in it?

I know... because it's limited at both the bottom and the top end. Like I've been saying, there is only a narrow range of peak efficiency where torque is maximized with an ICE engine.

Whereas... an electric motor has maximum torque available at 0 rpms.

You are wrong.

So most articles are quoting the 5-6 seconds time your article originally stated.

This article clarifies that the unassisted ICE engine on the car will have a 0-60 of 8.5-9 seconds. Probably best to just wait and see what the car will do with both electric and gas though, because it's still a concept.

Yep, that Ultimate Aero isn't in production. Just like I thought. :stickingtongueout:

What you're saying makes no sense. If the only limitation of ICE is the max RPM, then why not just put one huge gear in it?

I know... because it's limited at both the bottom and the top end. Like I've been saying, there is only a narrow range of peak efficiency where torque is maximized with an ICE engine.

Whereas... an electric motor has maximum torque available at 0 rpms.

No, it's just that you don't understand how gears work.

If you have a gear ratio of 1:1 then you get one revolution of the tire for every revolution of the engine crankshaft. That means that the maximum spead of the vehicle is limited by the maximum speed of the engine. Depending on the size of the tire, a 1:1 ratio will give a maximum speed of approximately 10 mph. Additional gears at higher ratios will allow for higher speeds. It has nothing to do with torque, it has to do with the max number of RPMs an ICE can produce.

Since an electric motor has no limit to how fast it can spin, a gear ratio of 1:1 works just fine because there is no limitation.

No, it's just that you don't understand how gears work.

If you have a gear ratio of 1:1 then you get one revolution of the tire for every revolution of the engine crankshaft. That means that the maximum spead of the vehicle is limited by the maximum speed of the engine. Depending on the size of the tire, a 1:1 ratio will give a maximum speed of approximately 10 mph. Additional gears at higher ratios will allow for higher speeds. It has nothing to do with torque, it has to do with the max number of RPMs an ICE can produce.

Since an electric motor has no limit to how fast it can spin, a gear ratio of 1:1 works just fine because there is no limitation.

I still have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Electric motors have maximum torque available at 0 rpms.

Combustion engines have a power band that requires you to get up to speed to reach maximum torque.

This is why ICE engines need gears. This is also why gas engines are less efficient at starting, because they are not utilizing the strength of the engine at low revs. This causes you to have to pour gas into the engine just to get it moving from 0 mph. You have yet to address this in any way.

I still have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Electric motors have maximum torque available at 0 rpms. True statement

Combustion engines have a power band that requires you to get up to speed to reach maximum torque. also a true statement

This is why ICE engines need gears. Not completely true although it is a part of the equation. This is the point I've been trying to make all along, that gearing is not a factor entirely of torque and when it is available, something that you've very carfully tried to ignore

This is also why gas engines are less efficient at starting, because they are not utilizing the strength of the engine at low revs. This causes you to have to pour gas into the engine just to get it moving from 0 mph. You have yet to address this in any way. I didn't have to address this in any way because it was ancilliary to the point I was trying to make and not incorrect

What about a car that has 4 gears? 5 gears? 6 gears? 7 gears?

Were you specifying 6 gears for a reason or was that just a mention of 6 gears as it is more common on manual cars nowadays?

You just blew my mind.

Yeah, you have to get up pretty early in the morning to hang with me...:wacko:

Actually, you made specific mention of the gears, so I was gonna ask earlier. But now that we've come full circle, here I am! :D