[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tankng...

Ed Hoyle

We've had problems with "Tanking" in one of the leagues I'm in.

Our draft pick status is based upon "Power Rankings" using Sportsline and Playoff finish. It is a combo of both. Unfortunately, all 16 teams make the playoffs. Their rationale is that the struggling teams can use the waiver-wire to get stronger so they should be able to enter the playoffs as sleepers. It's a weird rule and can't be changed because we have too many "old timers" who started the league and they won't vote to change it.

Anyway, some owners will "tank" to get a better draft pick. This past year another owner didn't put a lineup in for the last 3 weeks of the season. He said he couldn't get to his computer. BS.

We finally agreed to knock "tanking" owners down to the bottom of the draft order for 1st round only. I disagree and think it should be for every round thereafter.

What does your league do to combat this?

Edited by Ed Hoyle

They started the league in the late 80's and wanted everyone to have a "shot" at the end of the season. It stinks.

We've tried fixing this. But, we have some new guys taking over Commissioner Duties. Maybe they can get it changed.

A couple of thoughts:

Since everyone makes the playoffs, perhaps you could have cash prizes for regular season records as well as for playoffs?

Maybe charge money for all transactions? Maybe just charge for transactions at the end of the regular season?

A couple of thoughts:

Since everyone makes the playoffs, perhaps you could have cash prizes for regular season records as well as for playoffs?

Maybe charge money for all transactions? Maybe just charge for transactions at the end of the regular season?

This will not solve the tanking problem as all teams make the playoffs.

I'll bring up those suggestions. Maybe if we offer cash it will help.

Any idea how we could change the format to help the lower teams while keeping them out of the playoffs?

Two years ago the worst team in a league got a "gift" and beat the top seeded team in Week 1 of the playoffs when players were being benched to for Week 15. They almost went all the way. Hence, that is the argument they use for giving the lesser teams a chance.

I'll bring up those suggestions. Maybe if we offer cash it will help.

Any idea how we could change the format to help the lower teams while keeping them out of the playoffs?

Two years ago the worst team in a league got a "gift" and beat the top seeded team in Week 1 of the playoffs when players were being benched to for Week 15. They almost went all the way. Hence, that is the argument they use for giving the lesser teams a chance.

So you play the entire season for what reason? Possible the stupidest rule I have seen in FF history, this includes the Muto factor! :wacko:

If you want to have a generous playoff rule make the Top 12 teams make the playoffs. "everyone still has a shot." Eliminating the kumbaya, "everyone in" playoff rules will stop tanking immediately.

Plus have the teams that miss the playoffs play in a loser bracket for the #1 pick in next year's draft. (Just the #1 pick, the rest of the rounds are determined by record)

So even if you miss the playoffs you still have something to play for and "everyone still has a shot" to win something.

Edited by RuffBuff

PLEASE READ

In my league, the 1st time an owner uses an incomplete lineup they are docked 10 points for that week, the 2nd time they forfeit the week, and the 3rd time they are removed from the league.

Also, the top 6 teams and the bottom 6 teams have separate playoffs. The top 6 play for the championship and the money. The bottom 6 play for the #1 draft pick. The winner of the "losers" playoff gets the first pick. 2nd place in the "losers" playoff gets the second pick and so on.

This completely eliminates tanking problems.

Cash charge for every loss is an option. I used to play in a league where we charged $2 plus 10 cents per point that we lost by. It can add up over the course of the season. Depending on your stakes, adjust the amount accordingly.

Obviously not allow everyone into the playoffs, and those that don't make it get put into a lottery for the early picks rather than just hand them out in order. Or, have the teams not in the lottery play out a "toilet bowl" where whomever comes out of that as the winner gets the #1 draft pick. Have a prize that goes to each team that makes the playoffs so teams are encouraged to try for the playoffs rather than hope to make the playoff for the #1 pick

if this is not a keeper league, then current year's performance should not affect the following year;s draft, but then again, if that is how it has been done and isn't going to change, see above about a lottery.

Find owners with enough self-respect to not tank regardless of the situation.

Cash charge for every loss is an option. I used to play in a league where we charged $2 plus 10 cents per point that we lost by. It can add up over the course of the season. Depending on your stakes, adjust the amount accordingly.

Obviously not allow everyone into the playoffs, and those that don't make it get put into a lottery for the early picks rather than just hand them out in order. Or, have the teams not in the lottery play out a "toilet bowl" where whomever comes out of that as the winner gets the #1 draft pick. Have a prize that goes to each team that makes the playoffs so teams are encouraged to try for the playoffs rather than hope to make the playoff for the #1 pick

if this is not a keeper league, then current year's performance should not affect the following year;s draft, but then again, if that is how it has been done and isn't going to change, see above about a lottery.

Find owners with enough self-respect to not tank regardless of the situation.

Something similar to Big Country's idea:

We had a 12 team league and the top 6 made it to the playoffs and to halt any notion of someone trying to tank it we gave the #7 team the #1 draft position, the #8 team the #2 draft position and so on to give those slots more meaning. We all stipulated though prior to the draft for that year that any who were caught tanking would be kicked out immediately and their spot for next years draft would be given away.

Just a thought.

best way to ensure against tanking is to make a $ spot for all teams not making the playoffs. say the last 3 weeks the non-playoff team who scores the most pts takes home the dough! typically the buy in or half the buy in.

have everyone throw in an extra 10 or 20 bucks depending on ur entry fee in the beggining.

The arguement against that is "why would I bet against myself from making the playoffs"

We've been doing it for almost ten years and it works great. not entirely 100% effective your gonna have one or two slugs who tank. We don't invite those teams back the following year.

It's like a communist NHL! :wacko:

Several good ideas in this thread. I agree with charging say $5 per loss and I also like the idea of 2 separate playoff brackets- a championship bracket and a consolation bracket for draft picks.

But at the end of the day, allowing all teams into the championship playoffs is way retarded. I'd leave that league and join another. :D

Also, the top 6 teams and the bottom 6 teams have separate playoffs. The top 6 play for the championship and the money. The bottom 6 play for the #1 draft pick. The winner of the "losers" playoff gets the first pick. 2nd place in the "losers" playoff gets the second pick and so on.

This completely eliminates tanking problems.

This is a damn good idea actually.