[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets Talking Thomas Jones Trade?

heehawks

Rovers, I know you've got a dog in this fight, but it makes absolute sense to trade Jones - IF they are convinced that Washington and Greene will give them the same production.

Jones has a notoriously sour disposition. If Washington and Greene take workload from him, as they are likely to do, he could turn into a really nasty cancer on the team. That's hardly what the Jets need as they try to support a rookie QB in his first year. They also are extremely likely to cut him next year - his cap hit is almost $6M and he'll be 32 yrs old. If they trade him for a 4th rounder, they'll get compensation in next year's draft rather than having to wait for what likely would be a 4th rounder or less as compensation unless he were to produce numbers like he did last year - again, highly unlikely given the circumstances.

I think it comes down to Greene and whether Ryan is convinced he can do the heavy lifting portion of the RB job. To be honest, if I were Ryan and I knew that I had RBs behind Jones wo could give me the same production as a tandem, I'd cut him Jones rather than risk having him tear up a young locker room under a frosh QB too, especially if I could benefit with a midround pick next year in the deal.

I understand your points.... but lets be clear, Both the Newark Star Ledger and Daily News Jets beat reporters have said that their sources say there is no truth to this rumor... a rumor started by one web site.

Now, can Greene and Leon pick up a blitz for a rookie QB in Sanchez or another very JAG QB in Clemens who has limited game experience? Ryan has said all along he will run, run and run some more. Behind the rookie Greene, there is nothing. Greene despite his size has a rep for bouncing outside when there is a wall of people in front of him. Has he proven he can run in short yardage in the NFL yet? Not even close.

Yes, Jones has a history of whining... so did L Coles, but through it all, they both still produced. As I recall, the Bears locker room was behind Jones... and Benson never did live up to expectattions. Chicago traded the wrong guy.

I don't see Jones getting fewer snaps, as there will be more to go around. Favre is so last year... and Ryan wants to run the ball.

I'm no big fan of Rich Cimini, the Jets beat reporter for the NY Daily news, but he suggested the most likely source of this rumour, which BTW, came from only one web site... Rosenhaus is doing all he can to get Jones a new contract... he figures the best way to do that is to get him traded. Makes a phone call, and suddenly the Jets are shopping Jones. Cimini said his inside sources denied it, and so did the beat reporter for the Newark Star Ledger. Much ado about nothing.

Ryan has dealt with whiners before... Ray-Ray, even Reed. On Sunday, they forget the contract and play football. So will Jones.

If I'm wrong, I have lots of company.

From Cimini's blog:

I asked Ryan about the Thomas Jones trade rumors, and he angrily refuted the internet report that said the Jets are shopping Jones.

"I promise you, that is ridiculous," he said. "Shoot, I'm not going to trade that. You know what I'm all about. This guy is huge in our plans. I'm not going to trade the running back that led the AFC in rushing. We ain't dealing him. No way."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0O1gnODLO

I understand your points.... but lets be clear, Both the Newark Star Ledger and Daily News Jets beat reporters have said that their sources say there is no truth to this rumor... a rumor started by one web site.

Now, can Greene and Leon pick up a blitz for a rookie QB in Sanchez or another very JAG QB in Clemens who has limited game experience? Ryan has said all along he will run, run and run some more. Behind the rookie Greene, there is nothing. Greene despite his size has a rep for bouncing outside when there is a wall of people in front of him. Has he proven he can run in short yardage in the NFL yet? Not even close.

Yes, Jones has a history of whining... so did L Coles, but through it all, they both still produced. As I recall, the Bears locker room was behind Jones... and Benson never did live up to expectattions. Chicago traded the wrong guy.

I don't see Jones getting fewer snaps, as there will be more to go around. Favre is so last year... and Ryan wants to run the ball.

I'm no big fan of Rich Cimini, the Jets beat reporter for the NY Daily news, but he suggested the most likely source of this rumour, which BTW, came from only one web site... Rosenhaus is doing all he can to get Jones a new contract... he figures the best way to do that is to get him traded. Makes a phone call, and suddenly the Jets are shopping Jones. Cimini said his inside sources denied it, and so did the beat reporter for the Newark Star Ledger. Much ado about nothing.

Ryan has dealt with whiners before... Ray-Ray, even Reed. On Sunday, they forget the contract and play football. So will Jones.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that every other team in the league knows he's getting older and the situation he was in last year. I doubt any team would offer a 3 or 4 round pick for him at this point. If the Jets are looking to trade TJ, then they can just wait until they cut him and pick him up without compensation at all. If there was a trade I would expect a late round pick at best.

I actually think TJ will have a nice season. Young QB means lots of rushing.

Jones won't be trade for the simple reason that I have Shonne Greene in all my dynasty leagues and God doesn't love me that much (and rightfully so)

:wacko: Glad to see I'm not the only one with that perspective at times.

Yes, Jones has a history of whining... so did L Coles,

Are you expecting Coles to have a big year for the Jets this year? :D

From Cimini's blog:

I asked Ryan about the Thomas Jones trade rumors, and he angrily refuted the internet report that said the Jets are shopping Jones.

"I promise you, that is ridiculous," he said. "Shoot, I'm not going to trade that. You know what I'm all about. This guy is huge in our plans. I'm not going to trade the running back that led the AFC in rushing. We ain't dealing him. No way."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0O1gnODLO

I've heard this before. Just a few months ago. Let me think...something about McDaniels....hmmmm, Cutler, maybe :wacko:

How did the Bard put it in Hamlet? Something to the tune of: thou "dost protest too much, methinks".

Edited by Bronco Billy

Are you expecting Coles to have a big year for the Jets this year? :D

I've heard this before. Just a few months ago. Let me think...something about McDaniels....hmmmm, Cutler, maybe :wacko:

How did the Bard put it in Hamlet? Something to the tune of: thou "dost protest too much, methinks".

LOL.... I may be a homer, but you appear to stuck in the mud of wishful thinking. You would compare this to the Denver/ Cutler situation? I must have missed where Ryan had another RB he wanted from another NFL team to replace Jones, ala yer boy McDaniels who was actively shopping for a QB.... from his old team.

This rumour was borderline proposterous from the get go. Hey, I understand misery loves company, but if you want a pound of flesh, you can't take any blood! :D

Benson was treated like an outcast since is holdout...once he came in he wasn't productive and didn't have the best attitude. The players on that team and those on defense never liked him and tried to injure him in practice so Jones could start (true!)

I think Benson is going to be a beast for the Bengals and I"m making sure I grab him - 1450 total yards 8-9 TD's

Benson was treated like an outcast since is holdout...once he came in he wasn't productive and didn't have the best attitude. The players on that team and those on defense never liked him and tried to injure him in practice so Jones could start (true!)

I think Benson is going to be a beast for the Bengals and I"m making sure I grab him - 1450 total yards 8-9 TD's

Sometimes players need a change of scenery. I don't write off Benson, but on that Bears team, he was the wrong guy. Benson's situation, like Cutler's does not in any way compare the Jone's situation with the Jets.... this was strictly a contract thing, and Jones is on the field.... end of story.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that every other team in the league knows he's getting older and the situation he was in last year. I doubt any team would offer a 3 or 4 round pick for him at this point. If the Jets are looking to trade TJ, then they can just wait until they cut him and pick him up without compensation at all. If there was a trade I would expect a late round pick at best.

I actually think TJ will have a nice season. Young QB means lots of rushing.

The only way a team would offer a 4th, let alone a third, for TJ at this stage of his career is if that team is a contender and just lost their starting RB to injury. Otherwise, this will be TJs final stint with the Jets due to the huge bonus due next March 1st. And he'll be a 31 - 32 yr old RB looking for his last contract. He has every incentive in the world to give the Jets a Herculean effort this season for that reason and the Jets know it. He has no leverage at all.

I do disagree with Bronco Billy about TJ's locker room presence, at least during his time with the Jets. I know he has expressed a desire for more money, but he hasn't held out, he reported on time, he hasn't whined to the press, he has basically been a model citizen since day one of joining the Jets and he is a very hard worker. I think the bad rap given to him in this thread as to his influence in the locker room is flat out wrong and complete misinformation. I follow the Jets closely and read everything about what is going on. TJ is far from a cancer in the clubhoouse fellas. You may be confusing him with Pete Kendall. :wacko:

Edited by Dcat