[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any body builders in the house?

Flip_Side

Just started creatine today. Seems like it gives you false hope, it pumps up your muscles big time during workout to make them look really swoll and then about an hour after the workout they go down to what they normally are.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diet, Diet, Diet...this is the most important if wanting to be lean. Also, don't forget some cardio 2-3 times a week for 30+ minutes. I have gone from 7% body fat to 17% and only slightly change my diet, sucks and trying to get back to low double digits is very difficult!

Agreed. Man, diet is a bitch and is so important. :homerdrool: Cheese :homerdrool:

What's your point? There are thousands of supplements. I suggested 3.

And I don't really consider protein powder a supplement. It's a must if lifting.

I'm iffy on vitamins too. If your diet is in check and you're supplementing protein shakes, you should get everything you need through your diet.

It just struck me that you said you didn't believe in most supplements, and then out of the four suggestions, three were for supplements, I found hughmor in it is all. Calm down...:wacko:

I consider anything that you aren't getting in your normal food diet a supplement, hence protein powder. It is a supplement to your diet, as would be vitamins (again, agreed about their "effectiveness"). I will say that I felt creatine was pretty effective.

Just started creatine today. Seems like it gives you false hope, it pumps up your muscles big time during workout to make them look really swoll and then about an hour after the workout they go down to what they normally are.

u need a few days for it to get into your system. and dont do the loading stage, its bunk.

What you mean loading stage?

This is what I bought http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?produ...2108320.2206673

It's 2 pills before you workout a day and thats it.

Well, in the mid to late '90s when I worked out, I would buy EAS Creatine. They suggested a "loading" phase...five servings of creatine a day for the first 5 days to get the creatine in your system.

:flex:

:wacko:

I'll be in Austin next Tues-Fri...just FYI.

Can you get out here a few days early? DMD will be down here tomorrow for our mock draft / panel thingy at the Texas Testosterone Festival. Playoffs for kickball start Thursday. I can probably nail down a time to hang out with ya! Where you stayin' this time?

Can you get out here a few days early? DMD will be down here tomorrow for our mock draft / panel thingy at the Texas Testosterone Festival. Playoffs for kickball start Thursday. I can probably nail down a time to hang out with ya! Where you stayin' this time?

I'll send ya a PM, I don't wanna sidetrack the discussion too much. :wacko:

This is what I bought http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?produ...2108320.2206673

Well, in the mid to late '90s when I worked out, I would buy EAS Creatine. They suggested a "loading" phase...five servings of creatine a day for the first 5 days to get the creatine in your system.

soup da troof.

most powder mixes say to load for the 1st week. take more than normal. but your body can only use so much so the loading is overkill.

Don't buy the pills. Your body doesn't break it down as well. And you paid way too much. Just buy the powder. You might take it with juice. Some say the insulin spike helps with the transport.

Don't buy the pills. Your body doesn't break it down as well. And you paid way too much. Just buy the powder. You might take it with juice. Some say the insulin spike helps with the transport.

I always took it with juice or water (water is terrible as it doesnt dissolve well).

The pills are crap, just get straight powder

Really? The people at GNC told me the powder was the same thing. Both were GNC Brands for almost the same price and they told me to go with the Pills for sure. They said it's a lot easier and does the same stuff

Edited by Flip_Side

Really? The people at GNC told me the powder was the same thing. Both were GNC Brands for almost the same price and they told me to go with the Pills for sure. They said it's a lot easier and does the same stuff

First - GNC is way overpriced. You can get any supps, etc. for a lot cheaper online at places like bodybuilding.com or from the smaller nutrition stores that are paying millions in advertising

Second - Some of the newer capsules are pretty much just as effective as the powders, and as you noted, a lot more convenient in some situations. Powder is easy if your mixing up a pre and post workout shake, but, if you're not, then a few capsules is easier.

There are a lot of supps you can/should consider.

Protein

Creatine

BCAAs

are the 'staples"

Then you get into

Glutamine

Caffeine

Fish Oil

Flaxseed Oil

CLA

Depends on your goals.

And, as others have noted, without your diet in extreme check, it won;t matter

Flip -

one thing you didn;t mention in your initial post is what is your goal -

Are you overweight, looking to drop some fat and minimize muscle loss

Skinny runt looking to gain a bunch of muscle and minimize fat gain

Somewhere in between

That has an effect on the approach you should be taking in terms of diet, workout, supps etc.

Flip -

one thing you didn;t mention in your initial post is what is your goal -

Are you overweight, looking to drop some fat and minimize muscle loss

Skinny runt looking to gain a bunch of muscle and minimize fat gain

Somewhere in between

That has an effect on the approach you should be taking in terms of diet, workout, supps etc.

Kinda scrawny looking to build a lot of muscle but also looking to lose a little chub/ beer belly from drinking over a year and sitting on my azz.

Dunno if it matters but heres a scrawny pic a couple years back. http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7492/scrawny.jpg

Still look about the same

Edited by Flip_Side

Kinda scrawny looking to build a lot of muscle but also looking to lose a little chub/ beer belly from drinking over a year and sitting on my azz.

Dunno if it matters but heres a scrawny pic a couple years back. http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7492/scrawny.jpg

loaf.

Edited by Chief Dick

I want to add that genetics is a big factor too. I will never be ripped or have a large chest/biceps etc. So I go for the cut and athletic look, which is my what my body is capable of and did I mention diet? (I keep saying this since it is the biggest factor in eliminating the beer belly and having visible abs) Diet needs to be 100% controlled when building mass and when doing a cut phase to get definition, so hard to control all the time, mmmm beer! When I was down to 7% body fat, I hadn't drank for about 3 months. I was able to maintain that for about a year with drinking about once a week here and there, but it has caught up with me, over 3 years I have added 10 lbs. all of which is body fat, still been working out, in fact way more cardio, and the alcohol and deviating from the diet here and there attribute to all of that!

Head on over to the Huddle Weight Challenge Forum to find some great programs and nutrition information. I'd say you're a good candidate for P90X so check out that thread.

in the past, when ive been off creatine i do not feel as strong in the gym........ :wacko: