[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paranoia wins

CaP'N GRuNGe

Have to agree here!

Senators exclude end-of-life provision from bill

(AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Key senators are excluding a provision on end-of-life care from health overhaul legislation after language in a House bill caused a furor.

Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, said in a statement Thursday that the provision had been dropped from consideration because it could be misinterpreted or implemented incorrectly.

A health care bill passed by three House committees allows Medicare to reimburse doctors for voluntary counseling sessions about end-of-life decisions. But critics have claimed the provision could lead to death panels and euthanasia for seniors.

The Senate Finance Committee is still working to complete a bill.

Great now the jobs for counselors and hospice care are cut from healthcare.

Iowa has one of the most elderly populations in the country. Thanks Chuck.

They should have called this the Terry Schiavo amendment because that showed how important living wills are.

Who wants relatives fighting over what you may want? WRITE IT DOWN.

I have been trying to follow this healthcare reform debate. My problem is what is the truth. I have listened to both sides and I have questions, concerns with what each has to say. This is turning into a real circus. Now Obama wanted this done before their recess. Can you even conceive that even coming close to happening. Now he has time to pimp it himself and he can make all the republicans look like raging lunatics. I really think he had this planned out all along. Try to push it thru fast and not have it work to get everyone worked up.

I am also interested in the fact that he has not put forth his own plan. Just some guidelines for congress so they can get hung. I wish I had time to read the 1000 page bill and had the smarts to understand it. It there more than one, does the house and senate each have one or many bills?

that awesome now i dont have to worry about going to hell.

Yep. Some ancient religion that thinks you are committing suicide by by having a gentle, respectful way to die and therefore won't go to see the Big Guy upstairs means we all get drugged up for years until the cancer (or whatever) completely eats us up enough to die. Hell, we treat animals better than senior citizens. Ridiculous.

Yet another example of the increasing tendency for the country to pander to the idiot class.

+1000

and what really SUCKS...is it doesn't matter what political party they are associated with...the idiot class is ever growing and it's non-partisan!

Edited by millerx

+1000

and what really SUCKS...is it doesn't matter what political party they are associated with...the idiot class is ever growing and it's non-partisan!

I don't agree with you much but on this we do agree, I think. The noise generated by the extremes drowns out the rational debate we all should be having over this critical issue, whichever side of it you're on. The problem is that the audience is enormous and has shown itself to be willing to suck up any lies "their side" wants to generate.

Gullibility and idiocy are in the ascendant. The case for selective breeding continues to grow.

Yep. Some ancient religion that thinks you are committing suicide by by having a gentle, respectful way to die and therefore won't go to see the Big Guy upstairs means we all get drugged up for years until the cancer (or whatever) completely eats us up enough to die. Hell, we treat animals better than senior citizens. Ridiculous.

well, you know, I think people in this situation can kind of think through these options on their own, without the help of a "counselor" sent by a government bureaucrat who is holding the purse strings. whether misinformed or not, enough people were turned off by that idea that they dropped it from the legislation. :wacko:

well, you know, I think people in this situation can kind of think through these options on their own, without the help of a "counselor" sent by a government bureaucrat who is holding the purse strings. whether misinformed or not, enough people were turned off by that idea that they dropped it from the legislation. :wacko:

Exact opposite. I think every Congressperson should visit a cancer ward (or the like) every single day and realize we need to help people die with respect and dignity. The only reason euthanisia is illegal is because religious people think it's suicide and therefore you won't go to Heaven. It is a form of suicide, but the most gentlest way possible and I think God (or the Spaghetti Monster or whatever diety you worship) understands this. Instead, we keep 'em drugged up for the pain and suffering until the bitter end. Thus, costing us even more money, if you really think about it. But of course any doctor will be locked up for helping someone die the way they lived.

If we're going to go full Obamacare without bankrupting us within 6 months, we'll need to make these types of decisions. It's only going to get worse as our population ages. Otherwise, we'll just keep pumping them up with pain pills and needing hospice care for months and months. Whoa, that sounds pretty expensive.

I'm not going to dig up the stat, but something like 80+% of your healthcare costs come within the last few months of your life. This stat will need to addressed unless you want to simply create another moneyhole waste of a bankrupt program like Social Security and the like.

Exact opposite. I think every Congressperson should visit a cancer ward (or the like) every single day and realize we need to help people die with respect and dignity. The only reason euthanisia is illegal is because religious people think it's suicide and therefore you won't go to Heaven. It is a form of suicide, but the most gentlest way possible and I think God (or the Spaghetti Monster or whatever diety you worship) understands this. Instead, we keep 'em drugged up for the pain and suffering until the bitter end. Thus, costing us even more money, if you really think about it. But of course any doctor will be locked up for helping someone die the way they lived.

If we're going to go full Obamacare without bankrupting us within 6 months, we'll need to make these types of decisions. It's only going to get worse as our population ages. Otherwise, we'll just keep pumping them up with pain pills and needing hospice care for months and months. Whoa, that sounds pretty expensive.

I'm not going to dig up the stat, but something like 80+% of your healthcare costs come within the last few months of your life. This stat will need to addressed unless you want to simply create another moneyhole waste of a bankrupt program like Social Security and the like.

I agree with all you say but the euthanasia problem is not just religious, it is also because of conniving relatives. This is why living wills should be mandatory.

i just dont get if someone wants to kill themselves in the privacy of their own home or dr office, why should we give a crap!!!!

edit: thats of course only if you are trying to escape a terminal condition.

Edited by dmarc117

I agree with all you say but the euthanasia problem is not just religious, it is also because of conniving relatives. This is why living wills should be mandatory.

I'm assuming the doc knows if he's pumping you full of crap to keep you painfree for the last few months as opposed to Paris Hilton trying to cash in on your life insurance. :wacko:

But yeah, living wills should be mandatory....or you take your chances with Paris wanting that Gucci bag more than you.

Edited by TimC

shouldn't even be indulging this, but how is:

In 2008, Palin signed a state resolution proclaiming April 16 as "Heathcare Decisions Day," which was "designed to raise public awareness of the need to plan ahead for healthcare decisions, related to end of life care and medical decision-making whenever patients are unable to speak for themselves."

the same as:

Palin criticized the House legislation for encouraging doctors to initiate end-of-life consultations, suggesting that elderly patients would feel pressured not to accept treatment.

I mean, do you not see a difference between planning ahead to determine your wishes and make sure they are carried out (which hardly anybody could possibly oppose), and visits from cost-conscious bureaucrats late in the game?

without the help of a "counselor" sent by a government bureaucrat who is holding the purse strings.

Az, how on earth is this any different that the insurance adjuster that holds your purse strings on covering certain procedures or not?

What is the difference in YOUR eyes between a employee of the company that is trying to make a profit and a governmental employee?

Is there a difference?

Az, how on earth is this any different that the insurance adjuster that holds your purse strings on covering certain procedures or not?

is there a bill proposing that insurance companies send out "end of life counselors" to help persuade dying people to save them money? because I don't think that would be real well received, either.