[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clowney, Keller and...Sanchez?

Rovers

OK, OK, I'm a homer, but I find it very difficult to avoid being perhaps overly optomistic after last night's game. I was skeptical about Sanchez, but he sure did look poised last night against a vanilla Rams defense. Why the Rams didn't blitz the rookie is a head scratcher, but...

Last year Clowney was by far the leading reciever for the Jets in preseason and got injured. When he returned to health, Mangini kept him off the active game day roster all year, something quite a few people questioned. Well, Clowney lit it up again last night. Last year most of his catches were against opposing team's two's and three's, last night was with the first team. I look for Clowney to start opposite Cotchery this year, with Stuckey in the slot. Clowney is easilly the best deep threat the Jets have had for a long, long time. Sanchez has the arm to get it to him, while Clemens does not. Just having that sort of deep threat should open things up for Cotchery, the running game and....

Dustin Keller. Keller was very under utilized last year, with Mangini's obsession of wanting a blocking TE in there.... Keller was almost an after thought. While the Jets running attack wasn't helped last night with 3 starting O linemen on the sidelines, it appears that Ryan will take the Mangini handcuffs off of OC Brian Schottenheimer, and let him make the calls, despite Ryan's desire to be run, run, run some more on offense. Ryan knows what a weapon a good recieving TE can be in the offense... see Todd Heap. Last night Keller not only blocked pretty well, he was targeted often, caught everything thrown his way and got good YAC, using his speed and breaking some tackles. He sometimes looks more like a big reciever. He has speed and power, tough to bring down.

The key here is Sanchez. Clemens just does not have the arm to make the most of fast explosive players like Clowney and Keller. If Sanchez can win the starting job, both Clowney and Keller have a very good chance of exploding their ADP.

No, I'm not predicting great things for the Jets with a rookie QB, but from a FF perspective, both Keller and Clowney are players to watch.

I like Keller a lot this year. We liked Clowney a lot when the Pack drafted him but he kept getting hurt.

That is pretty much the only issue with Clowney. IF he can stay healthy... think of Lee Evans but better and more consistant. That is with the caveat.... ONLY if Sanchez is the starter.

That is pretty much the only issue with Clowney. IF he can stay healthy... think of Lee Evans but better and more consistant. That is with the caveat.... ONLY if Sanchez is the starter.

Sanchez has to be the starter, right?

Sanchez has to be the starter, right?

I'd say he has the inside track right now, but it isn't decided just yet. Sanchez gets the Monday night start against the Ravens as per the original plan, stated before the preseason started. Ryan wants to name a starter by the 3rd preseeason game. It may take longer than that.

While Sanchez looked good, he is only playing with about half of the play book so far, while Clemens has to run the entire scheme. That has to weigh in as a factor when the Jets decide on a starter too.