[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Antonio Gates

Largent

watched the first two series for the Chargers....Rivers targeted him about 7 times. Apparently he's still his favorite target.

70-1000-10

apparently more-so than previously...

I already drafted him in Huddle Ladder and never expected those kinds of looks from Rivers....ever...

he just hasn't targeted Gates like Brees did...

apparently more-so than previously...

I already drafted him in Huddle Ladder and never expected those kinds of looks from Rivers....ever...

he just hasn't targeted Gates like Brees did...

Exactly. I'm not sure if it's Rivers or Norv's offense, but Gates just doesn't get the love he used to when Brees/Shotty were there. He's still the best TE in the league as far as talent, IMHO, I would draft him over all others.

If the Cowboys had a reliable WR I would agree, but Romo will target the living **** out of Witten again this year and Gates had a weak year (for him) last year. Not convinced it will be much diff this year or that he's worth what he will cost.

If the Cowboys had a reliable WR I would agree, but Romo will target the living **** out of Witten again this year and Gates had a weak year (for him) last year. Not convinced it will be much diff this year or that he's worth what he will cost.

There is a tangible reason why he had a poor year. He had a toe injury the entire season. Everyone knew about it.

I'm not forecasting 1100 yards and 13 TD's like he did several years ago. Above posters talked about the difference with Brees, but he will certainly get back to the 1000 yard, 9 TD range. Witten had a couple of 750 yard years and even the last couple of years when he had more yards than Gates had 11 TDs in two years.

I think a 1,000 yard, 10 TD season is in store, ranking him numero uno!

Edited by migarvin

I'm flopping between Gates (6th round) and Carlson (14th round) as my keeper..... I think Gates in the 6th represents good value this season, and after watching the game Saturday, not sure how comfortable the Knapp offensive system is at this point. Plus the Seattle o-line looks mediocre....Carlson could be in to block more than last season.

Re: Witten/Gates... yes the Boys don't have a stud #1 WR they have an ok #1 in Roy Williams. The SD/Dallas WR situations are virtually identical... a bunch of ok guys but none dominating. Actually the offenses are near carbon copies.

There are two differences worth noting that might not seem so significant at first glance...

1) RBs: SD has essentially one guy who does everything. Sproles spells LT but not in the way Felix Jones spells MB3. Norv spells LT with Sproles AND by just not handing it off or not throwing a pass to LT. Felix Jones spells MB3 for an entire series or two.

2) Martellus Bennett: I'm not a huge fan of this guy (he's kind of a jackass) but his presence should still bother Witten owners. Bennett will not be passing up Witten anytime soon or ever but Bennett is there. Witten is the obvious primary TE, if not primary target for Romo, but it was only Bennett's rookie season yet Bennett matched Witten's '08 TD total. Bennett is not there for his blocking like Manumaleuna.

top TE...think he'll beat Witten and Clark/Gonzo won't even come close

I wouldn't be so sure with Clark. He's going to take many of Marvin's looks from last year. If he stays healthy, he's going to be a monster.

2) Martellus Bennett: I'm not a huge fan of this guy (he's kind of a jackass)

I wouldn't call him a jackass, he's just a kid having fun. No one was hurt. People that got there panties in a wad over that need to quit being so serious.

top TE...think he'll beat Witten and Clark/Gonzo won't even come close

Hear Hear...with Marty B in Dallas looking like the wideout we all told Jerry he needed via free agency, Witten's numbers will suffer. Gonzo is on a new team after a gillion years and a risk b/c of the unknown game plan. Dallas Clark had hope b/c Marvin is gone, but can't stop the concussions and isn't reall an 80 catch threat. I like Gates as the top TE over all.

Hear Hear...with Marty B in Dallas looking like the wideout we all told Jerry he needed via free agency, Witten's numbers will suffer. Gonzo is on a new team after a gillion years and a risk b/c of the unknown game plan. Dallas Clark had hope b/c Marvin is gone, but can't stop the concussions and isn't reall an 80 catch threat. I like Gates as the top TE over all.

Clark had a few big games last year later in the year that really help me in a couple leagues, but when you hear about him having another concussion you have to be worried.

I wouldn't be so sure with Clark. He's going to take many of Marvin's looks from last year. If he stays healthy, he's going to be a monster.

Yup.

Dallas Clark is going to have a career year in my estimation. Whether that puts him with Gates/Gonzo/Witten, I can't say. But simply comparing him to his own past performance, I do think Clark's in line for a career year and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him end up being one of the top 2-3 TEs.

I wouldn't call him a jackass, he's just a kid having fun. No one was hurt. People that got there panties in a wad over that need to quit being so serious.

Whatever, don't really have an opinion either way. Just saying that despite anyone's opinion of Bennett he seems in line to get some looks that Witten otherwise would get.