[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Margarita Poll

DMD

The Margarita Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. A Margarita is

• Masculine - it has tequila for god's sake
    • Neutral - just a drink
    • Feminine - Fruit flavored and slushy - chick drink

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice cold Hornitos straight up, beer chaser :wacko:

Fixed. Deeeelicious

Have you guys tried a completa? Basically a glass of premium tequillya with a little shot of sangrita next to it. Sangrita is typically a mixture of tomato juice, orange juice, lime juice, and sometimes pomegranate. I don't like the texture of tomato juice, so at my place, we strain the liquid off our pico de gallo (you know, the "water" that comes out of the tomatoes and such once you add the salt). This is thin and nearly clear but also has trace flavors of cilantro and jalapeno. Mix that with OJ and a bit of pomegranate.

Then go back and forth, sipping the tequila and then the sangrita. Pretty effing tasty. Sort of like a deconstructed Bloody Maria.

:2cents: I'm officially putting this on my list for Top Threads of the Year.

OK.....how is a Cosmo in a martini glass any more ghey than CR's strawberry margs? :D At least cranberry juice straight is closer to red than something strawberry and frozen...and if made right, you'll get F'd up pretty fast on Cosmos. :D

My theory is that Martini bars are a fad concocted to get women to drink something other than a slushy, foofoo drink. :2cents:

And get them drunk faster......lol. :D

Did you see the report the other day about the number of women drunk drivers is up 38%? Martini bars..... :wacko:

(not being a downer...just a theory. :2cents: )

I've always put Margs in a different category than a daiquiri or a pina colada. Simply because it has two potent liquors in it....however you want it made. I can see where the "anything frozen is girly" rule could be a problem......but I let this rule slide for Margs. :2cents: But I'm still of a mind that frozen strawberry margaritas are girly.....don't care how good they taste. :D

Personally.....I'm not a big tequila fan.....lol. Shots, I mean. The stuff has never agreed with me.....and it's instantaneous and nasty......lol. But I DO like Margs.....just not 5 of them......lol. On the rocks.....half salted rim.....made with Cointreau please for me. :2cents:

You guys could always just order an extra shot of tequila on the side.......very manly.....even in 'Thelma & Louise.' :2cents:

Edited by SteelBunz

I drank something at Margaritaville last week called a Bahama Mama. I admit I felt rather weird ordering such a thing. It was frozen too...and tasty.

I am very interested about what margarita maker you bought and a review on how well it crushes, shaves ice. I am determined to buy a good one or a blender that works great one of these days.

If you want them slushy, buy a "Slurpee" machine (or some varient). find the mix you like and pour it in. Bingo! A bar I used to mange did it this way, fast and easy (tasty too). Adding the booze drops the overall freezing temperature, so you need one that can get really cold!

The "original" Mexican Margarita was a variant of tequila shooters developed in Tijuana on the main strip. The old shooter method was to squeeze lime juice on your hand between the thumb and first finger and sprinkle salt on the moistened spot. Shoot the shooter, lick the salt, bite the lime. ( wink wink lover boy!!)

The bartenders eased the ritual by putting the shot in a glass similar to a champagne glass (not a flute). They would rub the lime wedge on a short part of the edge and salt it, squeezing the rest of the lime in the glass and pouring the shooter in the glass on the lime juice. It was still a "shooter", but just out of a bigger glass. You can see how it evolved from there into the, at-times, girley lookin' drink it is today.

My wife will host "Ladies Night" at our house about once every two months. I know my wife and her friends will go through at least a bottle or more of Tuh-kill-ya when they are at my house and I'm blending (I am a good bartender and they LOVE my margs). Usually I end up with a bunch of passed out, female house guests for the evening. I collect keys and phone numbers to the hubbys or SOs before I serve, and end up calling a bunch of dudes letting them know their chicks are OK and safe/not driving. A bunch end up in the jacuzzi :2cents: I play it VERY straight and do not party with them and keep a low profile unless invited into a conversation, etc. Even then, I fade out ASAP to let them have their fun. (The next morning is what is scarier than a house full of drunk chicks! :wacko::D )

I have converted most of them to my shaken margs, served over rocks. The strawberry froo-froo requests are pretty much a thing of the past unless a new girl comes into the scene. Usually peer pressure has her doing straight blended or shaken after a couple of "sissy style" as they now call them! :2cents::D Some of the girls have learned to like tequila the right way, sipping it with sangrita sidecars. I save the "good stuff" for them!

"El" Tequila used to be assigned the feminine "La" Tequila. In the macho society with the macho booze, it evolved in the language ans culture as a Masculine noun. It is classically a sipping liquor, not originally a shooter. The whole concept of shooting tequila came from us a tasty morsel Americans that didn't like the taste but wanted the "macho" that came with the booze. I LOVE tequila and savor the good stuff. Drinking it properly s sort of like the way you taste wine (without the "trilling"). I cringe every time I see good tequila being mixed in a margarita or a sunrise. If you are going to mix it anyway, buy the cheap stuff. Same punch for a lot less $. There has been a blight on Agave Cactus over the last decade that the Mexicans have been working hard to fight, plus the Aussies have a new found appetite for Cactus Juice, so the price has been climbing recently.

Blue Agave produces the best tequila, and if you ever see "AZUL" Tequila from Centenario , it is a reasonable middle-of-the-road priced tequila for high end quality. BUT, if I hear you mixing it, I WILL find you and slap you. :DCazedores is always a good way to go without killing the budget. Remember, this is for shots or sipping with lemon/salt or sangrita sidecar. Citiris, if not obvious by now, goes very well with tequila.

As strange as it may seem, there was a time where if you served "Cuervo" , to a guest, you were basically letting them know they were not that important to you and it was almost considered an insult! Once again, leave it to us Gringos to find a place and popularity for an element of the unwanted Mexican population/culture. :D

Try this with your next tequila experience:

1) Buy a GOOD Tequila ( a couple sited above, some like Herradura, but I am not a big fan, it is more name and rep that quality)

2) Get a set of the tall, skinny shot glasses , you will need two for each person. Even better are the very small brandy snifters. Then it is one of these and a shot glass.

3) Serve a shot of tequila and a sidecar of Sangrita (sangrita in the shot glass and tequila in the snifter so as not to take away from the focus and presentation of the tequila).

4) One good shot of tequila should last for 3-4 “sips”. Take it in your mouth, hold it and taste it, then swallow. Follow it with a sip of sangrita. You can also have lime wedges (the small Mexican variety or Key limes if available) with a salt shaker (shake salt onto lime wedge and then bite after swallowing tequila)

5) Enjoy! This will open a world of tequila you never expected. You still get sh!tfaced, but have more fun doing it.

Sangrita (my mix):

6 oz. Clamato or V8

2 oz. Orange Juice (fresh squeezed if possible)

1 oz. Lime Juice (fresh squeezed if possible)

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)

Cholula, or other Hot Sauce like Tobasco to taste.

Salt and freshly ground pepper.

Serve chilled!

Another important thing to remember is to keep your glasses clean. Try to use fresh glassware at least every other serving. It is a hassle, but if you buy enough services, you don’t have to keep cleaning.

Great post by McBoog above. I need to look into the sangrita thing.

To DMD's original question: Slushy or fruity is girly, on the rocks in a "traditional" marg is quite acceptable.

Great post by McBoog above. I need to look into the sangrita thing.

To DMD's original question: Slushy or fruity is girly, on the rocks in a "traditional" marg is quite acceptable.

As I mentioned above, try subbing the water drained from a batch of pico de gallo for the tomato juice. I really think it makes a better sangrita and there's a pretty decent chance that, if you're drinking tequila, you're eating salsa, no?

As I mentioned above, try subbing the water drained from a batch of pico de gallo for the tomato juice. I really think it makes a better sangrita and there's a pretty decent chance that, if you're drinking tequila, you're eating salsa, no?

That is an excellent idea. I would use it as a taste enhancer to the tomato base. The "thicker" liquid giving that "soothing" coating is part of the bonus that comes with the sangrita. It is two very contrasting textures that makes the sangrita an excellent tequila "add-on".

That is an excellent idea. I would use it as a taste enhancer to the tomato base. The "thicker" liquid giving that "soothing" coating is part of the bonus that comes with the sangrita. It is two very contrasting textures that makes the sangrita an excellent tequila "add-on".

And I don't like drinking tomato juice because I don't like how thick it is. It's less refreshing to me.

The "original" Mexican Margarita was a variant of tequila shooters developed in Tijuana on the main strip. The old shooter method was to squeeze lime juice on your hand between the thumb and first finger and sprinkle salt on the moistened spot. Shoot the shooter, lick the salt, bite the lime. ( wink wink lover boy!!)

How about the He-Man tequila shot - snort the salt, drink the shot, squirt the lime in your eye.

It depends on the situation.

If I'm hanging at a resort pool/seaside beach, I'll drink frozen margaritas and daiquiris all day. What the hell do I care? Its vacation.

However, I wouldn't be caught dead in a bar with either.

when its 95 and im on a white sand beach, im drinking slushy drinks if i feel like it.

Sipping Margarita's on a tropical island with a hottie is not girly.

This is kind of my take on frozen margaritas for men. If you are on the beach or poolside in a tropical or near tropical locale, its north of 90 degrees or so, and you're not at a social/business event, go ahead and order that tequila slushee.

Otherwise, no.

I don't think the basic margarita is a girly drink, but I'm going to pick my spots (like a picnic or casual get together). I might ask for it in a rocks glass.

Edited by Furd

My club was giving out free margs all day to members while our club hosted a senior pga event, and I've been drinking since 10:00 am. Enjoyable reading this thread totally hammered om margaritas. :D

Great tourney. Yes just a bunch of old guys, but Mike Reid and John Cook were head to head on the back nine and with a John Cook bogey on 18, it went to a playoff. Both stuck it on the green 8 feet away on the approach shot on the first playoff hole. Reid makes his putt and Cook doesn't. Fun to watch while downing free margarita after free margarita. Now I have a really bad headache. :wacko:

As far as I'm concerned, that's the only glass it should be served in.

I make mine in a "pint"* glass.

* - the 14 oz "American pint" as opposed to the actual "Imperial pint." Because it isn't as if a "pint" is intended to be a constant, accurate measurement. But that's a post for another day.