[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints waive CB Jason David

myhousekey

This one was a long time coming...

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/...aive_corne.html

The Saints have released cornerback Jason David, replacing him with cornerback Greg Fassitt.

David, 27, spent two turbulent seasons in New Orleans after the Saints signed him as a restricted free agent out of Indianapolis, giving up a fourth-round draft pick to get him.

The 5-foot-8, 180-pounder started 18 games over the last two years, and he had a knack for making big plays (eight interceptions and two fumble recoveries). But he also allowed way too many big plays to the offense.

The last straw came last Friday night in the preseason opener at the Superdome. David was burned repeatedly by Cincinnati Bengals receivers Chad Ochocinco and Chris Henry. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' review of David's performance was quite damning.

"It is what it is," Williams said Sunday. "Every day in this league is an interview. Each week I've thought he's bounced back and played pretty decent and obviously every week's important for these guys. Every day's an interview. It's an interview for me and an interview for them and that the practices. When the lights go on, you need to be able to do in games what you do in practice. It is what it is. It's a tough league in that respect."

David was a long shot to make the roster even before Friday's performance. He was battling for the fifth or sixth cornerback spot, but he was set to earn $2.4 million this season.

That hefty salary will come off the Saints' books. But a prorated $650,000 portion of David's signing bonus will still be charged against the Saints, split over the next two years.

Fassitt, 24, is a New Orleans native who prepped at Kennedy High School and was with the Saints during the 2008 offseason before being placed on injured reserve in late August.

Undrafted out of Grambling State in 2007, the 5-11, 186-pounder spent his rookie season on the Chicago Bears' practice squad. He also spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after being released by the Saints last year, but he was released by Tampa Bay in May.

Salary implications aside, I hate to see this. Jason David played his heart out & was a true class act off the field. I honestly hope he catches on with a team that plays the cover 2 more & he turns out to be a good fit as he was in Indy.

I really think he was a victim of poor decision making by the former Saints DC. For that matter the GM as well. He was set up to fail. He is a Tampa 2 CB. He has to have help or he will get burned. They signed him here and put him on an island. He was asked to do something he is not at all good at. Like Rajn I hope someone see's his strengths and hooks him up in a def he can thrive in.

I really think he was a victim of poor decision making by the former Saints DC. For that matter the GM as well. He was set up to fail. He is a Tampa 2 CB. He has to have help or he will get burned. They signed him here and put him on an island. He was asked to do something he is not at all good at. Like Rajn I hope someone see's his strengths and hooks him up in a def he can thrive in.

I don't think he was set up, I just think the coaches/front office were wrong in assessing his talent, thinking he could play man.and paying him a boatload of money to do it. He tried his best to to make it work & for that I applaud him, What I like about him most is that he was always his own worst critic. He always owned up to his shortcomings & was still a class act despite all the misguided criticism.

I don't think he was set up, I just think the coaches/front office were wrong in assessing his talent, thinking he could play man.and paying him a boatload of money to do it. He tried his best to to make it work & for that I applaud him, What I like about him most is that he was always his own worst critic. He always owned up to his shortcomings & was still a class act despite all the misguided criticism.

Set up was used as a figure of speech rather than :wacko: .