[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre on his way to MN to sign?

CaP'N GRuNGe

I just found out it was a 2 year contract he signed...can't wait until next year to go through this all along!

Vikings | Favre contract details

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:15:33 -0700

Updating previous reports, Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Brett Favre signed a two-year deal, according to sources. He will receive $12 million in 2009 and has an option for the second season.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help me out here...when Jackson was drafted, weren't there rumors the Cowboys were also looking at him? :wacko:

There was talk that two franchises were miffed they did not get him in the 2006 draft.

Should be some value for Jackson - he has started more games than both Matt Leinart and Vince Young combined I think :D

I understand that concern, but seriously, how do you know for sure WHAT went on behind the scenes. There were players talking that they knew it was happening, and most probably halfway expected it. You don't know that he lied to anyone, and he really didn't say anything like Favre will never ever be here, or anything like that. He pretty much just said, we're good to go with what we have, which is what he would say.

I'd say down deep that most players on the team have respect for them pulling the trigger on this. It might make the team better, and that is probably more important to players than anything, don't you think?

Maybe we'll know more after the news conference.

How do I know what what was said? Because if players knew this was going to go down, it would have leaked long ago. Lets not kid ourselves, this isn't the Eagles or Patriots, it's the Vikings. That's not a slam on the Vikings, but very few teams can prevent leaks.

I do know that Childress did lie to some people, and that he really did say Favre wouldn't be there... Read the whole comment on "that chapter has closed".

Some players are happy that Favre is there. I understand that. But what you're missing out is that there are always factions in situations like this. Players are loyal to the guys that have been going through two a days and TC. They don't like seeing preferential treatment to other guys. Jared Allen is one of those guys, and he's said as much. You can believe what you want, but I've seen it in Dallas. I'm certain that there is a faction of players that are not happy that Favre gets to come in when he wants and have his way. Living in Dallas, I've seen first hand what disfunction and preferential treatment can do to a team. I understand that you're happy that your team has the best quarterback in a long time, but you have to be willing to see both sides.

Vikings | Favre contract details

Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:15:33 -0700

Updating previous reports, Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Brett Favre signed a two-year deal, according to sources. He will receive $12 million in 2009 and has an option for the second season.

:wacko: Get ready for it.

His shoulder was fixed with off season surgery. As much as I dislike Favre, you are selling him short. I think he has a solid chance at leading the league in INT's, but throwing 32 isn't going to happen.

Actually pirate, he STILL HAS a small tear in rotator cuff that the Vikings are aware of. This is independent of his bicep tendon surgery.

I also stated that it would be good for NFC North defenses . . that is only 12 INTS . . . carry on.

:wacko:

Brett Favre - QB - Retired Posted 8/18/09 12:36pm et Tweet this news item!

ESPN reports Brett Favre has a slight tear in his rotator cuff. The Minnesota Vikings, however, are aware of the injury.

Huddle Up: While players like Bernard Berrian and Adrian Peterson deserve an upgrade based on this news (Peterson is probably now the No. 1 overall Fantasy pick), beware of Favre's shoulder problem. It caused him to fade dramatically toward the end of last season, and that could very well happen again.

Here ya go Piratesownninjas

Brett Favre was once one of my favorite players in the history of the NFL. He has slid WAY down that list now. This crap got old a long time ago.

As for what he does for the Vikings, I'm truly not sure that this version of Brett Favre is better than Sage Rosenfels. The problem is, no matter how poorly he does, the Vikings have committed to him, and he will remain the starter. That is why this is so risky. There is also the negative effect that this could have on some of his teammates (i.e. divided locker room like was reported in NY).

The Vikings are a great team, but, I'm not convinced they made themselves any better.

As for what he does for the Vikings, I'm truly not sure that this version of Brett Favre is better than Sage Rosenfels. The problem is, no matter how poorly he does, the Vikings have committed to him, and he will remain the starter. That is why this is so risky. There is also the negative effect that this could have on some of his teammates (i.e. divided locker room like was reported in NY).

The Vikings are a great team, but, I'm not convinced they made themselves any better.

Very well said.

Any chance Tarvaris comes to the Pack?

Is he worse than Brohm? He could also lend some good insight to the Pack on a bit of Minny info? Would the Vikings ever let Tjax go to the Vikings and if they do not will the same Favre nut huggers who have always said "if Thompson didn't think Favre was still great then why would he not let him go to the Vikings" say the same about TJax? If Tjax could help the Packers at all then Minny would be stupid to let him go to the Pack.

Any chance Tarvaris comes to the Pack?

Is he worse than Brohm? He could also lend some good insight to the Pack on a bit of Minny info? Would the Vikings ever let Tjax go to the Vikings and if they do not will the same Favre nut huggers who have always said "if Thompson didn't think Favre was still great then why would he not let him go to the Vikings" say the same about TJax? If Tjax could help the Packers at all then Minny would be stupid to let him go to the Pack.

Yes Jackson is better than Brohm. I think my 8 month old boxer is better than Brohm.

I also laughed when Favre was defensive of his legacy saying "it's my legacy"

Then he goes on to say "If they're true packer fans" QFT Brett, you sound like a horses ass.

Let's see how much you guys actually excited about this move react when he starts throwing picks like crazy, and has those signature turd games. They gave him an unusually long leash when he was in GB, but here, no way. He makes crap throws at critical times in playoff games that kill your entire season. Yipee... It was so easy to cheer against him when he was a fpacker because you know he'd always do something really stupid eventually.

And $12 and $13 million dollars respectively? Are you freaking kidding me?? With a torn rotator cuff? Jesus...This is a desperation move on the organizations part and as a die hard fan I feel mislead about the way they handled the whole thing. I have a feeling this marriage will be over before it begins, and we will be the laughing stock of the league.

Let's see how much you guys actually excited about this move react when he starts throwing picks like crazy, and has those signature turd games. They gave him an unusually long leash when he was in GB, but here, no way. He makes crap throws at critical times in playoff games that kill your entire season. Yipee... It was so easy to cheer against him when he was a fpacker because you know he'd always do something really stupid eventually.

And $12 and $13 million dollars respectively? Are you freaking kidding me?? With a torn rotator cuff? Jesus...This is a desperation move on the organizations part and as a die hard fan I feel mislead about the way they handled the whole thing. I have a feeling this marriage will be over before it begins, and we will be the laughing stock of the league.

Valhalla,

What would you say the split is as far as Pro Favre Vs. Anti Favre with Viking fans?

Valhalla,

What would you say the split is as far as Pro Favre Vs. Anti Favre with Viking fans?

I would say it's %90 like the move while %10 don't. Maybe a bit more on the pro-Favre...The disgust for Tarvaris and the lack of respect for Sage is driving this imo...

Not only is his performance an issue for me, but he SHOULD have retired a Packer! There is unspoken benedict arnold like stuff going on here. :wacko:

Edited by Valhalla

How do I know what what was said? Because if players knew this was going to go down, it would have leaked long ago. Lets not kid ourselves, this isn't the Eagles or Patriots, it's the Vikings. That's not a slam on the Vikings, but very few teams can prevent leaks.

I do know that Childress did lie to some people, and that he really did say Favre wouldn't be there... Read the whole comment on "that chapter has closed".

Some players are happy that Favre is there. I understand that. But what you're missing out is that there are always factions in situations like this. Players are loyal to the guys that have been going through two a days and TC. They don't like seeing preferential treatment to other guys. Jared Allen is one of those guys, and he's said as much. You can believe what you want, but I've seen it in Dallas. I'm certain that there is a faction of players that are not happy that Favre gets to come in when he wants and have his way. Living in Dallas, I've seen first hand what disfunction and preferential treatment can do to a team. I understand that you're happy that your team has the best quarterback in a long time, but you have to be willing to see both sides.

I think I do see both sides, and of course I'm worried that there will be players pissed about this. But I'm willing to take that risk as a fan, because ultimately I think the players that care about winning will do what it takes to get over whatever it is that bothers them about this. And I still have not seen one reason to think that with the intangibles Favre brings to a football game that he wouldn't be an upgrade over what we have.

Interesting quote you had there - my team has the best quarterback it has had in a long time. Since you say that, I'd say that that has to outweigh about anything else in running a franchise - are you making your team better? I think the way he knows the offense, will read defenses and know players and situations, and having the weapons and protection he'll have that he may never have had before, will make him a good addition. He certainly may be done, and may suck. Definitely possible, and if so, then they'll have to go to what they would have had before, and Childress will probably be gone, and so will Favre. But, that would have happened either way.

I'm guessing there's a reason Rosenfels is a career backup. I liked the move of signing him, but that was more because of who we had than anything. There SHOULD be no reason to think he would be a great QB, let alone a good one, based on past history, and since Brett said that Chilly called him yesterday, I'm guessing the coaching staff was not that impressed to this point. And they certainly aren't with Jackson, and Booty has shown nothing in any of his time on the field. If it's true Chilly called Favre yesterday, there's probably a good reason, and I doubt it was completely out of the blue to the players. The interviews with the two QB's showed that they were not overly surprised that it happened, and I doubt Chilly would have just totally panicked and called Favre out of the blue yesterday, with nobody knowing it could happen. I was surprised to hear him be so candid about that, actually, and I doubt this comment from him was something that would overly bother Childress. So, that leads me to believe the players were somewhat aware of it.

You talk about the players being pissed and causing problems. Are you talking about the players who were texting Favre and asking him to come here? I doubt they'll be too disappointed, in the big picture. They want to win, first and foremost, and if Chilly was still calling Favre to get him to QB, I'm guessing the players saw what he saw in their existing QB situation. Hell, they could have ASKED him to make the call. No doubt T-Jax looked lost and uncaring in the first game, and he's had more than enough opportunities to show something, in the years he had complete support from Childress.

I'll check out the thread you mentioned, to see where Childress lied. If he did lie, in reality, that would be bad. If he was just talking about moving forward based on what happened before yesterday/today, I don't see that as a big hurt to existing players. I don't think Dallas compares too much to Minny, either, from a team, media, coaching and especially ownership scenario, about player relations. I don't discount the possibility of player fractures, but we heard since Rosenfels was signed that the team had a rift between supporters of Jackson and Rosenfels. At least this "new" guy brings something to the table. I know I'd rather have Favre out there running an offense and reading a defense compared to the existing guys... but whatever.