[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going into the draft blind?

CardinalEmpire.com

My leagues have this really crazy concept. We draw picks ahead of time so we can actually trade draft picks but I am not sure you would understand that concept by your statement.

I need to find a league like this. In my friendly, we announced the order and I got #2. I've been trying to trade the pick and everyone was REALLY interested until I explained that I wanted their 2nd and 4th rounders. Bunch of sissies.

My leagues have this really crazy concept. We draw picks ahead of time so we can actually trade draft picks but I am not sure you would understand that concept by your statement.

Actually, I've played in leagues that have done it both ways and enjoy the specific challenges related to both. So, the main difference I would see between the two of us (besides the fact that I have a pair and don't name my team after a mythical flying beast) is I'd rather embrace the challenge of not knowing my pick prior to the draft than complain about the system. Either that or embrace the option of trading picks should I know ahead of time.

Again. I've done both, enjoyed both, so am happy to file that away in the "makes no difference to me" category and save my beefs for things that I feel truly do matter, like decimal scoring and such.

Actually, I've played in leagues that have done it both ways and enjoy the specific challenges related to both. So, the main difference I would see between the two of us (besides the fact that I have a pair and don't name my team after a mythical flying beast) is I'd rather embrace the challenge of not knowing my pick prior to the draft than complain about the system. Either that or embrace the option of trading picks should I know ahead of time.

Again. I've done both, enjoyed both, so am happy to file that away in the "makes no difference to me" category and save my beefs for things that I feel truly do matter, like decimal scoring and such.

And I enjoy not knowing ahead of time and still trading picks on the fly in the draft as a way to adjust to the situations presented to me. I'm with detlef, each presents it;s own specific set of challenges, and I like mixing it up and trying out different things. I've played knowing the draft order of a redraft league a month before the draft and also finding out 5 minutes before the draft. Both were fun and presented different challeneges. In some respects, I would postulate that you actually have to be MORE prepared when you don't know what pick you have ahead of time as it truly is a test of adjusting on the fly.

Okay, seriously, you ought to have a cheatsheet in place for your starters/scoring system. Your position in the draft would not affect that cheatsheet. You proceed to use the cheatsheet and judgment based upon ADP and knowing your leaguemates' preferences to draft the best value on your cheatsheet as the draft progresses. Knowing your draft position ahead of time would do nothing to affect that strategy.

(I'm the guy who picked Addai at #4 last year and went with Ronnie Brown at #5 three years ago.. I think I've swung and missed with every 1st-round RB I decided on) and figure there should be decent value in round 3 and 4 this year (Ryan Grant, Addai, Kevin Smith, etc).

Could you please post who you picked for your first rounder as soon as you select him? This could be an invaluable services to any of us involved in drafts after yours...

I need to find a league like this. In my friendly, we announced the order and I got #2. I've been trying to trade the pick and everyone was REALLY interested until I explained that I wanted their 2nd and 4th rounders. Bunch of sissies.

I just trades my #4 overall pick for another guys 2nd and 3rd round picks (last of each round go figure)

but in this 10 man league I got the 20/30 for the 4. He now has 1/4 and is happy like a pig in mud.

It shouldn't matter if you don't know your draft position ahead of time. I'm not a fan of committing myself to go RB/RB or RB/WR regardless of how the draft picks fall during a draft. If you had the 11th pick, your plan should be directly affected by the picks in front of you, imo.

Edited by MikesVikes

My league has been that way since 1993. Same group of old fraternity guys for 16 years now so we know the scoring and owner tendancies well. We draw cards for our spots an hour before the draft. I just do my prep work on the rankings, ADP, a few mocks at different spots before the draft, etc. I go in with a general idea of who I want where in the first few rounds, but once the bullets start flying I usually just grab my beer and rely soley on Rhino's spreadsheet to guide me to a winner. :wacko:

Oh good, another thread to talk about one of my really weird leagues!

We meet the night before (sometimes the night after) the start of the season, have some food and beer available, pay off last year's winnings!, vote on any new rule changes! (last year added something to defensive scoring), and then . . .

draw cards for each two rounds of the draft! Yep, draw cards, pick serpentine, then throw in the cards and draw again for rounds 3-4, 5-6, etc. Since most guys use a magazine (often the same one), my carefully crafted tiered cheat sheet usually lets me work through whatever spot I end up with. I've always won some in this league, often a lot.

I actually think this might be a really interesting idea in any league setting. Probably gives somebody some advantage if they actually consistently get early picks, but probably also rewards those who are best prepared.

I just trades my #4 overall pick for another guys 2nd and 3rd round picks (last of each round go figure)

but in this 10 man league I got the 20/30 for the 4. He now has 1/4 and is happy like a pig in mud.

Well, playing against competition like that, I can see why you hold your FF capability in such high esteem.