[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me stock the bar

Big Country

and I want to be able to be sure to provide my guests with whatever they would like.

This is I think where you might be making things difficult on yourself. "Whatever they would like" is a really tall order. IMO the best way to do a simple bar is to establish a few staples that you like, and that are good quality bottles.

Furd has the right of it. My main concern would be staying away from too man choices in a type of alcohol. Pick your "house" brands.

I don't mix much. I might toss an ice cube in my scotch or bourbon, but I don't have to, and outside of that I don;t like to foul up mu liquor with other ingredients.

Vodka: Pick one that you like. Absolut, Stoli, Kettle One, Belvedere, Chopin, Smirnoff, etc. There are tons. If I could only keep one it would probably be the Chopin( (for sipping), but that's on the pricey side. If I was taking a second on it would most likely be the Stoli (for mixing).

Rum: Rum has come a long way and can be very enticing because there are so many ways to drink it. Many people stick within the Bacardi Light, Myers Dark, Captain Morgan, and Parrot Bay/Malibu Rum. Chicks dig Malibu Rum. Unless you plan on drinking the rum straight, you can probably get by best with a bottle of Captain Morgan and a bottle of Myers Dark. Third consideration would be the coconut rum, and then if you really wanted to go bananas you could find a nice sipping rum.

Gin: Tanguery is a really good choice. Unless you are really a gin martini guy, there is no reason to stock more.

Tequila: There's a lot of tequila out there these days. If you don't mind spending the $, a good bottle of Cabo Wabo will do you fine for sipping and for mixing. If you are looking to save $, buy the Cuervo Gold for mixing.

Whiskey/Bourbon: If I were keeping one, it would probably be the Knob Creek. Good juice for the price point. If you are a mix it with coke kind of guy (*gack*), then perhaps you want some jack. A bottle of Crown Royal wouldn't hurt either.

Scotch: Scotch is tough. You have your Single Malt Snobs and then your wannabe scotch drinkers/ scotch and water crowd. Johnny Black will do for the second group. If you want to keep one single malt, I keep the Balvenie Doublewood on hand. It's not super expensive ($40-$45 per bottle), and it's smooth without a powerful taste. Most people will be happy to drink it if they are scotch drinkers. I have yet to hear someone that did not take to it.

Cognac/Brandy/Armanac: All similar stuff. If you plan to make mixers with Brandy, a bottle of EJ's will do fine. If you are planning on having a nice sipping bottle, IMO it's worth the money to grab a bottle of Remy or Henessey XO. Delemain is nice too, but in my area it's more expensive and IMO not noticibly better enough to justify the money.

Port: I would suggest keeping a couple of bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 year old tawney port on the bar.

The rest of the stuff Furd mentioned are the "Must Haves". Ask at the liquor store what the best vermouth* they carry is. It makes all the difference in the martini, much more than the Vodka does.

A couple of things I forgot...

Irish Whiskey A bottle of Jamesons or Bushmill will be appreciated by most adult drinkers that try it. Very under rated stuff.

Coffee Mixers Furd mentioned Bailey and Kahlua, but other things to consider are Sambvca, Frangelico and Amaretto DI Saronno (The only kind of Amaretto)

*Martini and Rossi will do, but Vya Extra Dry and Vya Sweet are top notch

Edited by Caveman_Nick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Its just a good, all around, inexpensive scotch.

You should actually try Dewar's new higher end blended they created to compete with Johnny Black.

BTW, I agree with you in general and think that blended scotches taste better than all but the really, really nice single malts so I certainly choose it for a general purpose one. That said, maybe because I'm more of a bourbon guy than a scotch guy, I prefer Dewars Black (I can't recall the exact name right now). It's a bit fuller and smoother. Maybe a scotch purist wouldn't like it as much as Johnny Black, but I like it a lot. It's also about $5 cheaper here in NC.

I've got some wine at home, but nothing great. Not the biggest wine drinkers, but I would not be oppossed to having a few nice bottles on hand for diner parties or when my parents come to town. Speaking of which, definitely need some nice Glen Livet of Glenfiddich for my Dad. His drink of choice.

I've got some wine at home, but nothing great. Not the biggest wine drinkers, but I would not be oppossed to having a few nice bottles on hand for diner parties or when my parents come to town. Speaking of which, definitely need some nice Glen Livet of Glenfiddich for my Dad. His drink of choice.

Go to Trader Joe's for some great deals on wine. We miss TJ's. :wacko:

My small "bar" which has never had a problem serving anyone at my house whatever they want (or second choice) contains:

Crown Royal

Makers Mark

Jack Daniels

Bacardi Rum (light & dark)

Tanguery

Tequila - Quervo 1800 silver

Macallan 12yr scotch (sub the Glen here if that's what your dad likes. I like both)

Burnett's Vodka (Smirnoff if you must impress

Rose's Apple and Pomegranate martini mixers

margarita mix

Tonic Water

Soda Water

Ginger Ale

Coke

For special parties or if in the mood for something fancier I might get additional mixers. If I want something really different I go to a real bar. I guess it depends on how much you are trying to impress people.

Irish Whiskey A bottle of Jamesons or Bushmill will be appreciated by most adult drinkers that try it. Very under rated stuff.

Jameson and Bushmills are good, and are popular in the US. But you may want to try Powers Gold Label, which is the most popular whiskey in Ireland, I understand.

You should actually try Dewar's new higher end blended they created to compete with Johnny Black.

I'll give it a try.

Jameson and Bushmills are good, and are popular in the US. But you may want to try Powers Gold Label, which is the most popular whiskey in Ireland, I understand.

I personally prefer Tullamore Dew, but I am not sure that it's readily available in other areas of the country. I have not seen Powers in my area. Jameson and Bushmills are pretty much everywhere. A bottle of Bushmills 16 year old is top notch stuff, though, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

This is probably my favorite whiskey. :wacko:

It's on my "staples" list. Something like:

Bushmills 16 year

Jameson 12 year

Balvenie Doublewood

Oban 14

Lagavulin 16

Knob Creek

Woodford Reserve

Sazerac Rye

Cruzan Rum

Cabo Wabo Tequila

Taylor Fladgate 20 year Tawney

Delemain XO

Chopin Vodka

Bombay Sapphire

B&B (For a friend, really)

For really high end juice I like to have:

Chevis Royal Salute

Gran Marnier 150 yr

Sandeman's 40 year Tawney

Macallen 25 year (but my bottle ran out :D )

It's on my "staples" list. Something like:

Bushmills 16 year

Jameson 12 year

Balvenie Doublewood

Oban 14

Lagavulin 16

Knob Creek

Woodford Reserve

Sazerac Rye

Cruzan Rum

Cabo Wabo Tequila

Taylor Fladgate 20 year Tawney

Delemain XO

Chopin Vodka

Bombay Sapphire

B&B (For a friend, really)

For really high end juice I like to have:

Chevis Royal Salute

Gran Marnier 150 yr

Sandeman's 40 year Tawney

Macallen 25 year (but my bottle ran out :wacko: )

Just curious, why Cabo Wabo? I've seen you mention that a few times. What about it do you like, as it's pretty clear you know your way around the good stuff.

I've always found that, while good, it never shows well against it's price point. Mind you, I haven't tried every level in taste tests. Most recently I tried the Plata and Repo and wasn't all that knocked out. The brand that I'm really digging right now is Corzo. Not Corazon, mind you, but Corzo. Apparently they only use the heart of the agave (hence the name) which is supposed to yield a smoother product. Well, it does. The packaging is pretty handsome as well.

Just curious, why Cabo Wabo? I've seen you mention that a few times. What about it do you like, as it's pretty clear you know your way around the good stuff.

I've always found that, while good, it never shows well against it's price point. Mind you, I haven't tried every level in taste tests. Most recently I tried the Plata and Repo and wasn't all that knocked out. The brand that I'm really digging right now is Corzo. Not Corazon, mind you, but Corzo. Apparently they only use the heart of the agave (hence the name) which is supposed to yield a smoother product. Well, it does. The packaging is pretty handsome as well.

It's JMO, but I think Cabo Wabo is a little more versatile than some of the other recognized names around. It's fine for sipping (not outstanding, but still good) and makes a fine margarita and/or tequila sunrise. I have a few other bottles of tequila ( my bar is well stocked...and I hardly use it any more :wacko: ), and if I had to keep one for all around use it would be the Cabo over the Don Julio, the Cuervo 1800, and my other bottle whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit to add: and that just might be me. I certainly doesn't offend me to use the Cabo in a mixed drink the way it would to use Corzo....which I have tasted and have been eyeing when I have had chance to be in a package store recently.

There are a few other things I will try to mention when I get home later, in particular a couple of brandy choices that, for within the $40-$50 range I think are outstanding and a perfect choice when you are thinking of cuddling up to a nice stogie.

second edit: Also...I am somewhat speaking from a mindset of having stuff that entertains well. I looooove sipping tequila, but most people think of tequila as shots or mixed drinks, so I guess I tend to play to that.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Obviously depends on how much you want to spend. Furd's list (with a few additions) is bitchin', but that would cost you an arm and a leg.

Off the top of my head, here's what I would at least start out with, with budget in mind.

- A good bottle of tequila, for shots of course.

- A decent bottle of tequila, for margaritas

- A good bottle of whiskey, for the occasional shot

- A decent bottle of whiskey (Jack, I'd guess) since I know you like Jack n' Cokes

- A good bottle of vodka (Goose, Level, etc.)

- Baileys and Kahlua

- Good bottle of gin (Tanq, I'd guess... I'm not a gin drinker but some are, obviously)

- Good bottle of scotch (Glenfiddich is advisable)

- Good, but not too expensive bottles of light and dark rum

- If you have martini drinkers around, you'll need dry vermouth

- Some lemons, limes, olives, margarita salt... and Furd nailed all the mixers

The only thing I disagree with is your characterization of Jack as good whiskey. There are plenty of good whiskys and they are all called bourbon and come from Kentucky.

It's JMO, but I think Cabo Wabo is a little more versatile than some of the other recognized names around. It's fine for sipping (not outstanding, but still good) and makes a fine margarita and/or tequila sunrise. I have a few other bottles of tequila ( my bar is well stocked...and I hardly use it any more :D ), and if I had to keep one for all around use it would be the Cabo over the Don Julio, the Cuervo 1800, and my other bottle whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit to add: and that just might be me. I certainly doesn't offend me to use the Cabo in a mixed drink the way it would to use Corzo....which I have tasted and have been eyeing when I have had chance to be in a package store recently.

There are a few other things I will try to mention when I get home later, in particular a couple of brandy choices that, for within the $40-$50 range I think are outstanding and a perfect choice when you are thinking of cuddling up to a nice stogie.

second edit: Also...I am somewhat speaking from a mindset of having stuff that entertains well. I looooove sipping tequila, but most people think of tequila as shots or mixed drinks, so I guess I tend to play to that.

:wacko: I am guessing I didn't convince Detlef with this....

:wacko: I am guessing I didn't convince Detlef with this....

:D

I guess it just comes down to a matter of to each his own. Thing is, because I think there's better options than Cabo Wabo for the money, I'd either rather drink those if I want a fine tequilla or simply slide down the scale a bit if I don't want something so special.

For instance, at least in NC, Cazadores and Herradura both cost as much or less than Cabo Wabo and I prefer both. Corzo only cost a bit more and I think it blows all of them away (so far I've only had the plata because none of the other levels are sold in the state but I'm told that could change soon).

And if I wanted something that was more all purpose. That would be cheap enough to mix but good enough in case someone wants to sip it, I'd go with Sauza Hornitos Repo which is cheaper than all of those and really not bad at all. (something I was just reminded of when I poured a round for the volunteers at Sunday's MS benefit)

That I never liked Sammy Hagar. :D

I guess it just comes down to a matter of to each his own. Thing is, because I think there's better options than Cabo Wabo for the money, I'd either rather drink those if I want a fine tequilla or simply slide down the scale a bit if I don't want something so special.

For instance, at least in NC, Cazadores and Herradura both cost as much or less than Cabo Wabo and I prefer both. Corzo only cost a bit more and I think it blows all of them away (so far I've only had the plata because none of the other levels are sold in the state but I'm told that could change soon).

And if I wanted something that was more all purpose. That would be cheap enough to mix but good enough in case someone wants to sip it, I'd go with Sauza Hornitos Repo which is cheaper than all of those and really not bad at all. (something I was just reminded of when I poured a round for the volunteers at Sunday's MS benefit)

That I never liked Sammy Hagar. :wacko:

No worries. It really is just an issue of "if you are just going to keep one bottle". Not all of us own a bar, let alone 2 :D

The only thing I disagree with is your characterization of Jack as good whiskey. There are plenty of good whiskys and they are all called bourbon and come from Kentucky.

FWIW, I said Jack was "decent", and from the number of Jack n' Cokes I've had with BC, I figured that'd be in the bar to begin with. :wacko:

The only thing I disagree with is your characterization of Jack as good whiskey.

I agree that Jack Daniel's is not that great. However, because of its popularity, I think that every bar should have it.

I agree that Jack Daniel's is not that great. However, because of its popularity, I think that every bar should have it.

Sigh...I know, I have one on my bar as well. :wacko:

in addition to Furds list. Roses lime juice, grenadine, Amaretto, Triple sec (cheaper than cointreu and a mixer used in a lot of drinks. Frangelico. Sweet vermouth for those that might want a manhattan or rob roy

I didn't realize he would be inviting my great-grandparents over for drinks ! :wacko:

I don't know. It's my house so you can take it or leave it. Certainly at the restaurants, I'm not going joust that many windmills and find it easier to just give the people what they want in cases like this (and frankly Jack is pretty easy because I think it's fine enough stuff). However, I'm gonna buy what I wanna buy for my house. And for American whiskey, I'm drinking Evan Williams Black Label on the cheaper side and then sliding right up to the fancy stuff from there. Of course, I do keep a bottle of Jim Beam Rye around for sazeracs because it's pretty much the only Rye I can get in the state without going through a major hassle.

I didn't realize he would be inviting my great-grandparents over for drinks ! :wacko:

Manhattans and Rob Roys are classic cocktails. I prefer the Manhattan because I hate to mix scotch with anything. I ask for rye whiskey in my Manhattan. (Some people prefer bourbon).

It's my house so you can take it or leave it.

I guess this depends on whether you want the bar to reflect your tastes or you want to accomodate your guests. Of course, if you seldom entertain guests, the latter is less important.

As far as I'm concerned, if somebody wants a mountain dew and whiskey, I'll make it, and my grimace will be internal.