[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog Boarding

whomper

Last week we had our family vacation. I live 10 minutes from my in laws. My Sister in law and brother in law wouldnt stay at our house to watch the dogs because they are douschbags eventhough my wife does them countless favors, But I digress.

We boarded the dogs at the local animal hospital. They did a check up on both dogs before we brought them in. We picked them up yesterday and when my wife got home we noticed my one dog wasnt right. She kept peeing and going to the backdoor. We would let her out and sometimes she peed and other times she didnt and she was acting very eratic. We called the place and they said it isnt uncommon for dogs to act a little funny when they first get home. My wife disgareed but she said keep an eye on her and the dog should be ok.

A few hours later the dog had a discharge . We called back and left a message. So we watch her all night and today she wakes up and is puking and has diarhea. We get a 2 oclock appointment at the place. My wife goes and the dog has a urinary tract infection and some kind of stomach bug. They give her a shot and send my wife home with meds. They also did X rays. The dog seems a little better and should be fine but I called the place today and told them i felt I shouldnt be charged. They said they wouldnt charge for the visit but would have to charge for meds and if I wanted to fight that I have to wait until the office manager comes back on the 25th.

Todays visit cost 500 bucks.(xrays were 250) Dont get me wrong . I love the dog and her well being is number 1 priority. i told my wife to get whatever we need for the dog and thankfully the shot helped and she seems like she is doing better but am I wrong ? The Vet said she could have gotten the infection when we took her home or she may have eaten something at our house. That dog has never been sick in her life and my wife called 30 minutes after getting her home. That would be some friggin coincedence that she got sick because of our house 3 minutes after getting home. I'll speak to this person on the 25th . Sorry for the vent but it sucks. It cost 550 to board them now almost the same amount to fix her up. There goes all the money I saved at Knoebels :wacko:

Edited by whomper

Dude that's complete BS. There is no way your dog got sick immediately after you brought it home with a urinary tract infection that was that far along. If you charged it then you can dispute the charge, or just send an email saying your not going to pay any portion of getting this dog better.

That rally sucks Whomp, and first things first, I hope your dog makes a full recovery.

In regard to the cost of the treatment, my guess is that the office manager will take the hardline approach that, when boarding a dog, there is a chance that your pet could indeed contract an illness from one of the countless other dogs in their care. Such disclaimer language is likely in the paperwork you signed when you boarded the dog, and is likely a common risk when you board an animal that's immune system is not up to par in terms of being around dozens of other animals. Kennel Cough is another common illness newly-boarded dogs and cats come home with after being boarded

In reality, they should certainly want to make you walk away from the experience with a good feeling, because the last thing this kennel needs is word on the street that pets boarded there are coming home sick. I would think, from a PR perspective, they would want to work with you.

For your next trip, you might want to consider a credentialed dog-sitter, or reach out to a neighbor with a college-aged child to house-sit for $500 (instead of a kennel) if you want to ensure your dogs are not exposed to illnesses.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

So what amount of that $500 are they eating? You say that you have to pay for meds, and that the XRAYs were 250, but they were paying for the visit.

Has your dog been boarded? How is she around other animals or people? Boarding her for a week might have been stressful, and like with humans, can weaken the immune system. Any type of boarding facility is going to be like a daycare...No amount of sanitizing and disinfecting is going to prevent some bug from going around. Don't take this as excusing the facility, kennel conditions, or the care that she may or may not have received. I'm just trying to say that sometimes it happens.

if only they had given her cranberry juice while being boarded.

kidding aside.... i think you are in the right here and your dogs got suck on their watch........... and should be responsible for the resulting treatment

Any type of boarding facility is going to be like a daycare...No amount of sanitizing and disinfecting is going to prevent some bug from going around. Don't take this as excusing the facility, kennel conditions, or the care that she may or may not have received. I'm just trying to say that sometimes it happens.

My first thooughts too. When my daughter was in daycare and got sick we paid the doctor visit and the antibiotics...

My first thooughts too. When my daughter was in daycare and got sick we paid the doctor visit and the antibiotics...

I see this point no doubt. The place isnt really taking the "There is risk involved in Boarding your dog approach" though. They are basically saying "You cant prove the dog got sick here and she was fine when she left" Plus the costs involved in treating an animal , which in a majority of cases you dont have insurance for, is hefty. I hope the office manager does the right thing. They are an animal hospital which is why we felt safe leaving them there. They have a seperate section for boarding but we figured God forbid anything went wrong they had the vets right there.

Maybe legally I am suffering from the risk involved in boarding your dogs but as Swammi said, from a business standpoint these people are terribly mishandling this case IMO. I will speak to that office manager on the 25th and if they dont offer me compensation for this visit I am going to explore more options.

This is kind of sticky. If it was a regular dog boarding facility you would be signing a release of liability that they aren't responsible if your dog gets sick or injured. You expect the dog getting boarded at a vet facility that it would be pretty clean. I think if I were this vet I'd offer to pay for half so I kept my client, and doesn't spread a bad word of mouth.

Giving x-rays was probably to check a blockage. A partial blockage can still cause diarhea, but first you want to rule out a bacterial infection and the results can come within minutes. If that is ruled out, then I think most vets take a wait and see before taking x-rays if the dog is alert, no high fever and is eating. If the dog completely stops eating, abdomen is rigid, and the dog seems in pain, then take x-rays, and take them right away because a blockage can cause death if not treated.

If your dog was showing symptoms 3 minutes after you got home, I assume they saw these symptoms while boarding, or they weren't paying much attention to her. So, even if they pony up, I would consider going to another vet.

Have you talked with the vet who owns the practice directly? That is who I would talk to if you get no where with the office manager.

Allie has shown great improvement since yesterday. Her bloodwork came back all clean and the symptoms have slowed down a great deal. She slept a lot and was eating and drinking. You are right Sugar, they were checking for a blockage. Tests did come back that she has a severe urinary tract infection and will be on antibiotics for 20 days. As long as she ends up fine I can deal with the rest. I am going to approach this office manager and take it from there

I guess I am the only one shocked at how much your in-laws suck - total bullchit

dayum they are that close and they can't watch the dogs for you and you end up having to board them? brutal - I would stop doing them any favors immediately...........

our dogs seemed like they always came back hoarse and a little under the weather when we did board them - tough on them, and your wallet

I guess I am the only one shocked at how much your in-laws suck - total bullchit

dayum they are that close and they can't watch the dogs for you and you end up having to board them? brutal - I would stop doing them any favors immediately...........

our dogs seemed like they always came back hoarse and a little under the weather when we did board them - tough on them, and your wallet

My wife layed into them yesterday. It is on bigtime :wacko:

This wasn't the Dick Cheney Dog Boarding facility was it?

I hope she didn't spill her guts about everything she knows about the Whompers. That could be embarrassing.

Seriously, what a crock.

:wacko:

No you're not. I just read this for the first time and that was my thought exactly.

I'm really sorry to hear the dog got sick -- and vet bills suck. This is one of the problems of having dogs, and a big reason we don't -- you're "tied down" as much if not more than with kids! Dog sitting is quite a chore, it's a lot to ask of someone you're not paying -- regardless of relation. I wouldn't be too hard on the inlaws for turning down the opportunity to take it on for that length of time.

I'm really sorry to hear the dog got sick -- and vet bills suck. This is one of the problems of having dogs, and a big reason we don't -- you're "tied down" as much if not more than with kids! Dog sitting is quite a chore, it's a lot to ask of someone you're not paying -- regardless of relation. I wouldn't be too hard on the inlaws for turning down the opportunity to take it on for that length of time.

It wouldnt have been that bad for them. We let the dogs out to go to the fenced in yard as far as when they have to go to the bathroom so no walking would have been required. Keep the food bowl and water bowl full. They could just hang at my house which they enjoy when we are there.

Edited by whomper